Texas Fishing Forum

Pines Mapping Question

Posted By: TwoLakes

Pines Mapping Question - 02/13/23 05:56 PM

I have a Lowrance HDS 12 Carbon unit and would like to get a mapping chip that has the main channel marked. I was told by a guy that the older Navionics chips had the channel marked but the newer ones don't. Is this true?

Are there any chips I can buy that have the channel marked correctly?
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Pines Mapping Question - 02/13/23 08:39 PM

It depends on what you mean by marked. The depth of the channel is good on the newer Navionics Platinum chips. They have an overlay option that makes a good 3-D view of the deeper channels and you can trace from there. But, if you are looking for a line down the middle I can't help you, I haven't seen that in a while.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Pines Mapping Question - 02/13/23 08:45 PM

Lance Vick boatlanes
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Pines Mapping Question - 02/13/23 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by forkduc
Lance Vick boatlanes

Yeah, that's probably what the OP "Needs" You went to navigation, I went to finding fishing spots.

OP: if you do use Navionics for the main river channel, don't expect you can run it, even if it is mapped the way you want it to be.
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Pines Mapping Question - 02/13/23 08:55 PM

I'm just wanting one that shows me where the channel is accurately for fishing purposes. Whatever is on my unit now isn't close. Thanks.
Posted By: krthomas2

Re: Pines Mapping Question - 02/14/23 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by David Burton
It depends on what you mean by marked. The depth of the channel is good on the newer Navionics Platinum chips. They have an overlay option that makes a good 3-D view of the deeper channels and you can trace from there. But, if you are looking for a line down the middle I can't help you, I haven't seen that in a while.

This is correct, I'm running Carbon 12 with the new navionics u.s. south platinum card and the overlay option is pretty accurate.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Pines Mapping Question - 02/14/23 04:00 PM

Keep in mind that the channel of a 60+ year old lake can be silted in in places.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum