Texas Fishing Forum

Skeeter Boats Expanding

Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/25/23 03:40 AM

My wife ran across this today.
https://www.kilgorenewsherald.com/news/kilgore-edc-skeeter-boats-expanding-into-former-halliburton-site/article_55783352-98e3-11ed-af98-5781384e7e78.html#:~:text=Skeeter%20Boats%20will%20be%20expanding%20their%20Kilgore%20footprint,of%20the%20City%20of%20Kilgore%20and%20other%20stakeholders.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/25/23 03:51 AM

What does is say?
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/25/23 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Topwater2
What does is say?

partnering with Halliburton on marine oilfield services

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/25/23 03:58 AM

Unfortunately you'll have to copy and paste into the address bar. I couldn't get it to load as a link. They will be building another facility @ an old Haliburton location.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/25/23 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
My wife ran across this today.
https://www.kilgorenewsherald.com/news/kilgore-edc-skeeter-boats-expanding-into-former-halliburton-site/article_55783352-98e3-11ed-af98-5781384e7e78.html#:~:text=Skeeter%20Boats%20will%20be%20expanding%20their%20Kilgore%20footprint,of%20the%20City%20of%20Kilgore%20and%20other%20stakeholders.

is this some kind of super secret code?
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/25/23 09:31 AM

Good Link
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/25/23 09:32 AM

Skeeter Boats will be expanding their Kilgore footprint onto the former Halliburton site, the Kilgore Economic Development Corporation announced.

KEDC said the expansion comes through a purchase/sale agreement and economic development performance agreement with KEDC with the backing of the City of Kilgore and other stakeholders.

Under the project, Skeeter Boats will purchase the former Halliburton site on FM 349. KEDC said the project will stretch across the coming decade, adding more than 90 jobs and an estimated 25 percent increase in capacity with the investment in the two facilities.

“Skeeter Boats has been a high impact employer in Kilgore since the early 1970s and has been land-locked in their current location,” KEDC Executive Director Lisa Denton said. “This purchase will allow the company to achieve intentional growth of the Kilgore location over the next several years.”

KEDC said the initial project timeline is 18 months.

KEDC’s board of directors gave final contract approval on Jan. 17. The Kilgore City Council is expected to vote Feb. 20 on tax abatements for the project.

The two-phase project includes 12 acres, along with an option on the remainder of the 55.130-acre site. The capital investment for Phase 1 is estimated at $6.76 million and will include adding seven jobs, according to KEDC’s initial three-year Economic Development Performance Agreement with Skeeter.

Phase II starts about 30 months into the agreement, with Skeeter purchasing the remaining 43.125 acres of the former Halliburton site and construction of a new boat factory in years 3-5 of the agreement. The capital investment is estimated at $30 million and will include adding 84 jobs within seven years of the agreement.

Jeff Stone, senior vice president of Skeeter Products, said he was eager to bring more people into the Skeeter family and increase daily production capacity in Kilgore while simultaneously putting a neighboring property back in action.

“I’ve grown up in this area and this part of East Texas. It’s very important and very exciting to see that kind of revitalization take place,” he said.

This will be Skeeter Boat’s largest expansion ever. The company has been operating for 75 years — 50 of those in Kilgore.

“Across those years, the City of Kilgore and KEDC have been instrumental in our growth. They’ve been with us all these years along the way,” Stone added. “We owe them a great deal of thanks for their support, helping us out as we’ve grown.”

KEDC says they plan to assist Skeeter in requesting tax abatements for the project. The economic development corporation is owner financing the property purchase, with incentives being applied to the principal, as earned.

“With the unfortunate departure of Halliburton in 2020, the KEDC Board immediately recognized the need for acquisition of the property, with the sole intent of getting it back onto the tax rolls at its highest and best use,” Denton said. “Upon the closing of this sale, and with full support of the City Council, we will have accomplished that goal.”

KEDC said potential, performance-based incentives for capital investment and job creation include up to $354,525 paid during the three-year term of Phase I and up to $1.7 million in the seven years of Phase II.

“It’s exciting to see this project come to fruition,” KEDC Board President Bob Davis Jr. said. “To get to witness the continued growth of one of our major employers, and to play a small part in the process, is what KEDC is all about.”

Stone said they were thankful for assistance from KEDC and other taxing entities for their support.

“It’s also a boon to be able to expand into a currently vacant, under-utilized site and breathe new life into it,” he said. “It’s very essential in the sense of providing more diversity in the local economy in being able to use that property to provide additional jobs, additional tax base, which is very important to the city, the county, the school district.

“It’s win-win for the city, for Skeeter, for Yamaha, and especially for citizens in the area.”

KEDC said the expansion would enable Skeeter to “produce a variety of the smaller essentials for the boats — things like consoles, storage boxes and hatches — and bring those employees under one roof in Kilgore while adding more positions.”

“The new job growth will come from increasing our capacity from 12 boats to 15 boats a day,” Stone said. It takes about 125 hours to produce one boat, so the added manufacturing capacity equates to as many as 15 jobs per boat that’s added to the daily routine.
Posted By: Rescue Fire

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/25/23 11:54 AM

Someone should be along shortly to gripe about this because this expansion is going to cost money and that will increase the cost of the boats.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/25/23 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rescue Fire
Someone should be along shortly to gripe about this because this expansion is going to cost money and that will increase the cost of the boats.

They’re getting too big for their britches.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/25/23 01:21 PM

Good for them.

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/25/23 01:58 PM

All the price hikes they’ve passed along in the last three years….now we know it isn’t the cost to manufacture…it’s the cost to acquire more land for an expansion. Lol
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/25/23 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
All the price hikes they’ve passed along in the last three years….now we know it isn’t the cost to manufacture…it’s the cost to acquire more land for an expansion. Lol

Their price hikes were right in line with all the other manufacturers. It's a conspiracy I tell ya
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/25/23 02:14 PM

Yep.
Posted By: NELA Bassguy

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/25/23 02:51 PM

I'm just glad that someone is using the Halliburton yard after they moved to Bossier City after being there for almost 100 years. Losing that business hurt the town.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/25/23 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

Yep.

The high cost of boats has been there for several years now. Thats why I hang on to mine longer now. You cant flip them like you could several years ago without taking a hit in the checkbook!

Im shocked at the expansion more on the side of parts shortages and labor shortages. I mean, nobody wants to work anymore it seems! Most of the better selling boat manufacturers were having a hard time keeping up with demand just a year ago.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/25/23 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sinkey

Im shocked at the expansion more on the side of parts shortages and labor shortages. I mean, nobody wants to work anymore it seems! Most of the better selling boat manufacturers were having a hard time keeping up with demand just a year ago.

They did for sure, the pessimist in me says another 2008 like boat manufacturer purge is just around the corner but for everyone in the bass boat industry's sake hope I'm wrong.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/25/23 08:14 PM

Supply and Demand, they know the more they can crank out the more people will buy them. I bet they have actual facts and numbers to support their choice to spend money on expansion and not just expanding on hopeium. But maybe Skeeter should have asked the TFF if it's okay for them to expand, lol.

roflmao
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/25/23 09:26 PM

So is it ok for Japan to own more of our Texas land?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/25/23 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Notaguide

Better than China or Russia owning it.

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/25/23 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Originally Posted by Notaguide

Better than China or Russia owning it.

True that!
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/25/23 11:28 PM

Both China and Russia were once allies
Posted By: wabash2015

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/26/23 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf
Originally Posted by Sinkey

They did for sure, the pessimist in me says another 2008 like boat manufacturer purge is just around the corner but for everyone in the bass boat industry's sake hope I'm wrong.

Unfortunately I don't think that anything will happen to boat manufacturers unless we have unemployment. The Federal Reserve will screw up (again) and pivot too soon, either causing inflation to go nuts again or for prices to stay elevated permanently.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/26/23 06:02 PM

may even get big enough for Johnny Morris to buy them out

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/29/23 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

Their price hikes were right in line with all the other manufacturers. It's a conspiracy I tell ya

I just wish they'd reel the cost of manufacturing back in when the materials back off in cost. They seem to be riding the price increases to the top and staying at those prices no matter what, then when the material prices decrease and increase again they ride that up and overlap price increases. As long as they have a base clientele that will buy them no matter what they'll continue.
Looking at the boat inventories across the region I'm beginning to think this business practice along with higher interest rates, may be biting them in the butt. I noticed this week Tracker has put some pretty descent discounts on their jon boat style boats so they must be feeling a slowdown.
Time will tell.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/29/23 04:40 PM

as far as the price of new boats they will remain high unless we have a market crash now that the builders have got b oats on the showroom floors the problem is with great credit it is 5 to8 % an the lenders are wanting 10 to 20% down that is hurting sales more than anything.
Posted By: Buchbass2

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/29/23 05:55 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!!!

Re: Skeeter Boats Expanding - 01/29/23 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by ssmith
as far as the price of new boats they will remain high unless we have a market crash now that the builders have got b oats on the showroom floors the problem is with great credit it is 5 to8 % an the lenders are wanting 10 to 20% down that is hurting sales more than anything.

Back when I was shopping for my Skeeter; it was right in the middle of the covid mess, and when dealers couldn't build them fast enough, not even close. Most dealers has zero inventory and what they were getting was usually sold when they unloaded it off the the truck the demand was so high. One of the dealers that had boats I was looking at told me most of their sales at that point were strictly cash sales and the money was coming from the government loans/grants the entrepreneurs were getting.
Another thing I think we are going to see shortly is an absolute flood of used boats on the market mainly because there were probably a ton of folks buying bass boats back then that had never owned one and had no idea what it cost overall to own one, as most of us know it's a lot more than just a boat payment every month. Whether you pay cash or finance all those ownership expenses are still there. Also a large percentage of these folks have been hit with the reality that they probably aren't using them no where near as much as they thought they would and they are just sitting collecting dust. Their wallet will get tired of that after a while. My two cents.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum