Texas Fishing Forum

Big Bass Splash on Sam Rayburn question.

Posted By: Coolarrow

Big Bass Splash on Sam Rayburn question. - 01/23/23 02:00 PM

Guys who fish this.. I have fish it several times over the year’s before I moved to the lake. I always stay at a place on that end so I was fishing not too far from the weigh in. Since I moved up here I haven’t had a chance but want to this year. Has anyone else fish it and trailered in to weigh a fish?? I live up north and want to fish up north. I was just wondering how big of a pain it was to trailer in to weigh? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Big Bass Splash on Sam Rayburn question. - 01/23/23 07:34 PM

All depends on how much time you are willing to spend at weigh in and NOT be fishing and what hour you want to weigh? For instance, you catch a 6 lb fish in Stanley, Hanks or Canyons after 9-9:30 am. You are pretty much done fishing for rest of day if your gonna trailer because you aint weighing it in til 10-11 hour at the earliest. That 6 lb fish is gonna win ya 400 to 800 bucks, but by the time you fill out your paperwork and do your boat check, you aint leavin Umphrey til Noon and wont be back to lets say Cassells or Monterey til almost 1 o'clock. Last cast is at 2 so your day is shot pretty much.

My general rule is this.......If the lake is "runnable", I do not trailer to weigh in ever. This all depends on your boat and fuel situation as well, so I get it, you may in a different situation. If I catch that fish at 9, I can make the 9-10 hour easily and be back on the water at 11 o clock, probably fishing the South end somewhere to finish up the day and running North to put my boat up after the tourney is over.

If lake is not runnable for you, it's probably best you wait til end of day, put your boat on trailer at 12:30-12:45 and go weigh your fish (IF the line at ramp is not too bad)

just my 2 cents
Posted By: Capt. Bryan

Re: Big Bass Splash on Sam Rayburn question. - 01/24/23 07:02 AM

I have trailered from Cassels Boykin several time over the years. Pretty much takes 1 hour to get loaded and drive over to weigh in. It is a gamble every time. The longer you wait to weigh in the less money you will get due to everyone else doing the same. Weather never seems to cooperate to be able to make the run by water. I think it is right at 20 miles by water to make the run by boat from the bridge to weigh in. If you are fishing further North around the river hopefully you can drop 3 five plus pounders in the livewell and then trailer down. If you look through previous tournament results it seems some of the locals are able to do that. The Lowrey's seem to always get multiple days/hours during the Sealy tournaments.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Big Bass Splash on Sam Rayburn question. - 01/24/23 05:17 PM

If you do trailer, lock your stuff up or have your partner stay at the truck to keep an eye on things. Been some issues with thefts in the past.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Big Bass Splash on Sam Rayburn question. - 01/24/23 07:05 PM

Thanks Guys!
Posted By: H-D Dad

Re: Big Bass Splash on Sam Rayburn question. - 02/02/23 03:51 AM

That is a day by day situation. Probably an hr and a1/2 to drive truck for bad weather. Probably 30 -40 mins by boat in good weather. You might want to wait on 2024 I think that is an anniversary. I maybe looking for a place to stay. I plan to fish this year also. Good luck
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum