Texas Fishing Forum

PSA... Kill switches

Posted By: otay michael

PSA... Kill switches - 01/17/23 01:25 AM

From an article I just read...

"Two college anglers are counting their blessings this evening after a mishap on the water today sent them both into the lake. Matthew Meegan and John Nash were out for a day of fishing on Lake Cumberland Jan. 2, 2023, way up the Fishing Creek arm, when a mechanical failure, likely the steering cable breaking, caused the boat to hook and sent both anglers into the icy waters. Unfortunately, they did not have the kill switch hooked up, so the boat continued to circle with steering wheel spinning.

Do you run without attaching your kill switch, ever? Not me. No, I've never been run over by my own boat, but I don't think I want to take that chance. I don't run, nor fish if solo, without my life vest on either.

What say you? Will you attach it from now on? Many of you would leave a lot of folks very sad. angel

Blessings,
MS

Posted By: Topwater2

Re: PSA... Kill switches - 01/17/23 01:27 AM

Mine is always attached!!!

Re: PSA... Kill switches - 01/17/23 01:32 AM

If I recall, Gary Dobbyn's almost got killed, running solo and getting thrown from his boat w/o his vest on.
With broken bones he had a hard time flagging folks running by in their boats, they didn't notice him, scary.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: PSA... Kill switches - 01/17/23 01:34 AM

It’s law now and I always have it attached . If I’m running fast or plan on running fast I wear my life jacket, too. When I’m just putting around I don’t wear my life jacket. Probably should
Posted By: Brent S

Re: PSA... Kill switches - 01/17/23 02:06 AM

Always kill switch and vest when running. I like being alive.
Posted By: Mac Town Fuzz

Re: PSA... Kill switches - 01/17/23 02:27 AM

I have a carabiner on my vest. Makes it easier to clip the kill switch lanyard.
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: PSA... Kill switches - 01/17/23 02:45 AM

If you cheat on safety, you're only cheating yourself. And possibly your family and/or heirs. IslandJim
Posted By: cob

Re: PSA... Kill switches - 01/17/23 03:37 AM

Life jackets and kill switches. Back in ‘70s when they became a rule in tournaments I knew I would forget if I didn’t have a reminder. I made a habit of hoping the switch to life jacket and wearing it while running. When I stopped to fish I would put the jacket in the drivers seat so I had to put it on or sit on it. Worked for tournaments and 22 years guiding.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: PSA... Kill switches - 01/17/23 03:41 AM

Unless I’m moving like 4-500 yds when big motor goes on vest is on and kill switch is attached. Another reason why I love the hot foot. I leave the boat no gas to the pedal.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: PSA... Kill switches - 01/17/23 11:40 AM

when I get in the boat my life jacket is on and stays on till I load up to leave, kill switch is attached to the life jacket so it is pulled when I get up and has to be reattached to fire it up.

being dam near 70 means I don't want to swim unless I have to.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: PSA... Kill switches - 01/17/23 01:18 PM

Mines on a wristband. It’s right in the shifter, making it easy to put on while engaging the motor.
Posted By: bassnman

Re: PSA... Kill switches - 01/17/23 02:20 PM

Life vest and kill switch. No brainer. And the law in Texas. I fish solo a lot and then never take my vest off. Will check out the wristband idea since I sometimes forget to hook or unhook the kill switch.
Posted By: rodknocker

Re: PSA... Kill switches - 01/17/23 09:26 PM

If the outboard is running, life jacket is on.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: PSA... Kill switches - 01/17/23 09:35 PM

Always attached to my life vest and my life vest is always on when under power / running.
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: PSA... Kill switches - 01/18/23 12:53 AM

Guess them boys didn't have a hot foot on that boat.

Re: PSA... Kill switches - 01/18/23 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rube G.
Guess them boys didn't have a hot foot on that boat.

Too bad they don't make those mandatory on all new boats, don't ya think?
Posted By: Razorback

Re: PSA... Kill switches - 01/18/23 03:19 AM

Mine is attached to my life jacket when driving the boat. When I get up to fish the life jacket stays on and I wrap the kill switch lanyard around the steering wheel so I can't forget it.
Posted By: NELA Bassguy

Re: PSA... Kill switches - 01/18/23 05:45 AM

I almost had a bad accident in High school "skipping" my boat around a point in a lake. It was scary enough that it convinced a 17 year old to always wear both a life jacket and kill switch everytime.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: PSA... Kill switches - 01/18/23 04:52 PM

I wear mine.. and to add to this.. buy a universal kill switch lanyard and keep it in your boat. Let you partner know where it is! If you get thrown out, they or someone else can restart the motor to get to you. Or if you come up on someone you can restart their boat. I think I gave $12 for mine. It works on every brand, or it’s supposed to. Yamaha and OMC I know for sure it works.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: PSA... Kill switches - 01/18/23 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Coolarrow
I wear mine.. and to add to this.. buy a universal kill switch lanyard and keep it in your boat. Let you partner know where it is! If you get thrown out, they or someone else can restart the motor to get to you. Or if you come up on someone you can restart their boat. I think I gave $12 for mine. It works on every brand, or it’s supposed to. Yamaha and OMC I know for sure it works.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: WAWI

Re: PSA... Kill switches - 01/19/23 12:24 AM

I should more often. Same with life jacket
Posted By: Jonah's View

Re: PSA... Kill switches - 01/19/23 02:11 AM

always... red cord attached to the para-cord loop attached to the belt... it's the law !.. the other end of the para-cord is my key's; I've never lost my key's since attaching them at the end of 3' of para-cord attached to my leather belt !
thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum