Texas Fishing Forum

Shimano Experts

Posted By: Tiltman

Shimano Experts - 01/05/23 11:11 PM

Is the SLX 150 a smallish finesse type real like the old curado 50E ?
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Shimano Experts - 01/05/23 11:29 PM

The 70 will be more in line with that size

I have SLX 150s and also some Curado 70's if you want to compare the size
Posted By: pinetree

Re: Shimano Experts - 01/06/23 03:11 AM

If you go to Shimanos website they actually have a pretty impressive description and technique observations for all their reels. So many now it’s pretty helpful.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Shimano Experts - 01/06/23 11:54 AM

I didn’t see this before posting on the plastic parts reel thread… any of y’all having issues with the SLX line? I’ve blown up 3 in less than a year, anti reverse imploded scattering the little pins that then get caught in your gears and the reel handle no longer turns.
Posted By: Slacklinedime

Re: Shimano Experts - 01/06/23 01:47 PM

Look at the SLX BFS if you want a finesse reel.
https://japantackle.com/casting-reels/shimano/low-profile-casting-reels/shimano-21slxbfs.html
Jun (owner of Japan Tackle) is a good guy and will answer any questions he will tell you what's good and what is [censored]. It takes him about a day to reply as he is in Yokohama Japan.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Shimano Experts - 01/06/23 09:57 PM

Chris - I tried quite a few of the newer Curados when I made the decision to start replacing all of my 20+ year old Curados. After trying the SLX, the K, the DC and a couple more when I got to the 150 MGL there was just something about it that really felt and fished good to me. I have now had some for the last year and even though I don't fish all of the time like back in the Solo Bass days I really feel like this is the newer Shimano for me. And like all of my older Curados I have the confidence they are going to hold up for as long as any reels made.
Anyone had any issues with the 150 MGL's?
Posted By: WStelzer

Re: Shimano Experts - 01/07/23 02:21 PM

Picked up a Curado MGL a few months back. Just my opinion but so far It's really good, additional spool "flyweights" let me dial the spool speed in better than the 200HG K's I have.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Shimano Experts - 01/07/23 11:26 PM

I have one SLX DC that I have punished pretty hard wade fishing in saltwater. It’s held up amazingly well. Casts a mile on a Waterloo HP2 Slam Mag. Throw 30# Suffix 832 on it. Usually throwing 1/4 jig head of lighter.
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Shimano Experts - 01/07/23 11:30 PM

I have two of the SLX MGL 151s and they’ve been pretty good so far. Spool tension knob on one comes loose pretty often, but it’s no worse than my Curado 71. I’d buy another.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum