Texas Fishing Forum

Favorite go to bass jigs

Posted By: Bassjiggin1955

Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/23/22 06:15 PM

Bullet arkie football
Posted By: JM8

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/23/22 06:21 PM

6th sense hybrid jigs. you can skip em, swim em, and fish it slow on the bottom.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/23/22 07:55 PM

Viper XP made by Marc Mitchell , Santone, V & M swim jigs and the 6th sense jigs.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/23/22 08:05 PM

Lunker lure rattle back
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/23/22 08:09 PM

elk river jigs but have not had to buy any for a few yrs. after I stocked up, they used to sponsor our division of a bass club I was in so we got extra good deals.

they are in broken arrow Okieland so shipping is fast.

https://www.elkriverjigs.com/
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/23/22 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dubee
Lunker lure rattle back

Old man jigs. Me too.
Posted By: Jonah's View

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/23/22 09:04 PM

Johnston...Stanley...Arkie... and some home made'ers...

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/23/22 09:17 PM

I build all of my own jigs I can get the colors I want and the type of jig heads want to use and fiberguard's for what application I'm building and going to be fishing.
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/23/22 09:24 PM

I make my own too.
Football and Arkie mostly but also a few grass jigs. I use footballs 75% of the time, Arkies 20% and grass jigs 5%. Come to think of it, maybe I’ll sell that mold.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/23/22 09:51 PM

I make all my flipping and pitching jigs. I am picky about hooks and skirt colors
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/23/22 11:22 PM

Viper XP Jigs

www.Viperxplures.com

flag
Posted By: Rescue Fire

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/23/22 11:25 PM

6th Sense Braid Jig after watching that video.
Posted By: Dogfish_Jones

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/23/22 11:56 PM

Dirty Jigs, flipping mainly. During the summer I will throw a swim jig.
Anytime in deep water I’ll throw the football head jig.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/24/22 12:05 AM

The original Stanley Jigs... Dan
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/24/22 12:07 AM

[spoiler][/spoiler]I struggled jig fishing for years. Had no confidence in them.

Saw an advertisement for screwy levy lures on Facebook and ordered a few jigs. Don’t know if it’s the jig, or I finally figured it out, but they are my confidence bait now. I don’t get hung nearly as often as I used to, and always feel like I can get bit with them.
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/24/22 04:42 AM

Trashmaster jig with it's free-swinging EWG hook. Eliminates the need for a weed guard. For finesse jigs it's Siebert Outdoors Sniper Old School Living Rubber jig.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/24/22 11:37 AM

Make my own.
3/8 football and 5/16 round are my favorite
I have can tune them and I know what I am looking for.
Posted By: ring fry

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/24/22 03:15 PM

I like Mark Pack's jigs. I can flip them deep into cedar trees without hanging up.

Retired grass grower
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/24/22 04:41 PM

Strike King Bitsy Bug in various weights and colors to match the conditions. I caught most of my fish the past year throwing these on a finesse set up with a baby rage menace trailer Anything watermelon or similar worked the best.

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/24/22 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by ring fry
I like Mark Pack's jigs. I can flip them deep into cedar trees without hanging up.

Retired grass grower

I have some he gave me, won't use them till I think I can catch something.

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/24/22 04:52 PM

if you want a great jig that won't hang up give A&M baits a shot, the halo jig works.
made by some friends up on lake eufaula (Okie land). nettie and monty know what works.

https://www.facebook.com/people/A-and-M-Baits-Home-of-the-Halo-Jig/100049655445690/
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/24/22 09:36 PM

Oldham for my “go to”and everyday. Jigs and spinnerbaits.
Posted By: CaddaBoom24

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/27/22 02:39 PM

6th Sense Hybrid Jig
Posted By: 9094

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/27/22 03:27 PM

Whichever one in my jig box the skirt band hasn’t rotted off on and looks about the right weight.
I have t found many brands of jigs that don’t work just fine.
Posted By: TxFisherman03

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/27/22 03:38 PM

Custom made or Black Angel Jigs
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/27/22 03:56 PM

For a store bought jig I've been throwing the Santone flipping jig and the Ike's Mini Flip. I pour my own football jigs, and use Santone's Swim Jig.

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/28/22 01:16 AM

Do you guys have pictures of the jigs you use for winter time fishing where your from
Posted By: CrankBank

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/28/22 01:16 AM

V&M Jigs
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/28/22 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bassjiggin1955
Do you guys have pictures of the jigs you use for winter time fishing where your from

I am not sure a lot of us differentiate jigs by season here. I use the same ones year round.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/28/22 04:31 AM

Bulldog.

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/28/22 09:49 PM

The favorite go to bass jigs are the one you build yourself fish
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/29/22 01:21 PM

I've been playing this game for well over 40 years but never jig fished all that much, think I'd caught one fish on a jig up until the past couple of years.
Headed back to the tournament world I quickly realized it was going to be a necessity to learn the art of jig fishing. I've forced myself to throw a jig every time I hit the water especially since they'll produce fish year round and have chunked multiple jig brands, Strike King, Santone, Arkie, and a few others.
My current thoughts on jigs by the brand or model? If you throw any of them long enough a fish will bite it and at about the same rate. The only thing that I see as a factor is the weight and color for the conditions. That old saying by the tackle manufacturers " Lures aren't made to catch fish, but fishermen" probably applies here as well. Flashy colors and a good marketing campaign and you can sell anything..
The biggest fish I've caught so far on a jig was 3 to 4 pounds since starting to really learn this form of fishing. What did I catch it on? A 99 cent black Arkie jig I bought at Walmart using an SK Rage tail trailer in blue flake black.
Posted By: watermelon orange

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/29/22 01:41 PM

I didn't catch many jig fish until I found Champion Jigs!

Woodrow will make them any way you want them. www.championjigs.com
Posted By: LFA17

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/29/22 05:02 PM

My jigs must have a weed guard close to the hook. No gap or very little gap is a must. For me, a lighter wire hook on a more compact jig using a sweeping set gets way more hook ups and less misses. Seems that sometimes a hard jerk may open the bass mouth and let the jig hook pass without hooking up. I use dirty jigs compact luke clausen and scott canterbury models.

Re: Favorite go to bass jigs - 12/29/22 07:17 PM

I build 90% of my jigs with light wire Mustard black nickel hooks. I also have my weed guards custom made in 9 ,11, 18 and 21 fibers I use .018 and .021 diameter fiber. Bundle size 9 to 11 strands 1/16 and 5/64 bases lengths 7/8 to 1 5/8. Larger guards using 1/16 thur 5/32 diameter material. I use Brown, Black, Green pumpkin and Clear weed guards. I do have two color guards built on occasions.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum