Texas Fishing Forum

Freezing temps

Posted By: Workfishngolf37

Freezing temps - 12/23/22 01:35 AM

Going to Fayette county lake this weekend for Christmas. When I get off the water each day. Is turning on the engine to blow out any water sufficient enough to keep from water freezing and damaging my motor?
Posted By: KB1953

Re: Freezing temps - 12/23/22 01:41 AM

Leave motor trimmed down so all water will drain out!
Posted By: bayshorebrawler

Re: Freezing temps - 12/23/22 01:54 AM

You dry start it out of water and your water pump will thank you for it

Re: Freezing temps - 12/23/22 02:03 AM

Ok. Thanks guys
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Freezing temps - 12/23/22 02:45 PM

I had mine out Sunday and I drained the water out of it and store it in the fully down position.
Something I've run into over the years is water does get trappped in places even with the motor stored down and can inflict damage anyyway. When I got back from the lake and did the wipe down, I went back to the motor and ran it all the way up and all the way down 3 or 4 times. Every time I did it I got more water. I did it until no more water ran out.

Re: Freezing temps - 12/24/22 01:54 PM

Plot twist. I didn’t realize our cabin is lake front and lake temperature is 70. I’m probably better off leaving boat in the water.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Freezing temps - 12/24/22 03:57 PM

Be careful launching and loading in sub freezing temps. Those bunk boards get slippery.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Freezing temps - 12/24/22 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Be careful launching and loading in sub freezing temps. Those bunk boards get slippery.

It can get real tricky trying to load in this kind of weather too. Went out and hour or two a head of one of these monster blue northerners sevral years ago hoping to get on the bite for crappie as it blew in, big mistake. The temps dropped so much so fast by the time we made it back to the boat ramp the portion the waves were covering was froze solid. We couldn't get the truck to move with the boat on the trailer. We finally had to get the truck all the way out in the water and take a running start to get across the ice patch. Luckily this ramp was flat enough and long enough to let us get away with doing that and the boat didn't get cross ways on the trailer.
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: Freezing temps - 12/24/22 04:44 PM

Yeah, be EXTRA careful on the ramps! A guy on another forum I follow slipped and fell after a day of walleye fishing. Long story short, after a month in critical care with a broken neck and back and total paralysis from the neck down, he experienced complications and he and his wife made the toughest call anyone can imagine.
Good luck on the bass though! I’ll probably be out and about after the temperatures rise a bit.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum