Texas Fishing Forum

Falcon or Ivie?

Posted By: b00stin4

Falcon or Ivie? - 12/21/22 07:02 PM

I'm gonna take a few days off 2nd week of January
Was thinking about taking my dad down to Falcon, haven't been in several yrs
But I've never been on Ivie and he was thinking we should go there..
It is definitely closer lol
If you had a week to spend where would you go?

Thanks
Clint
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/21/22 07:32 PM

Falcon.
Posted By: CubbyObrien

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/21/22 07:35 PM

If you know what your doing then i would say Ivie! its a magical place.
Posted By: Panhandle

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/21/22 07:39 PM

I have no idea how Falcon is fishing right now. If you are ok fishing all day for a couple of bites, knowing one of them could be "the one". Then Ivie is a good choice. I love Ivie, but a week of it is hard for me to stay patient.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/21/22 07:45 PM

OH Ivie may be the current Prince... but Flacon is Daddy.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/21/22 07:49 PM

If you are good with live sonar and enjoy fishing all day staring at a screen, go to Ivie.

If you might do a little graphing and then lots of fishing without FFS, Ivie can be really tough before the weather begins to warm.

If you've never been to Ivie, I'd consider a trip from April - June. Will be a good time for numbers and big fish can be had by just going fishing.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/21/22 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
OH Ivie may be the current Prince... but Flacon is Daddy.

FACTS!!!!!!!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/21/22 07:59 PM

North and Central Texas long range forecast is looking good for the first week of January.
Falcon is 14.7% full

I'd stay closer to home as long as the weather forecast holds.

If it turns to cold/miserable, Ivie will get busy; and I'd head south for nicer weather.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/21/22 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Panhandle
I have no idea how Falcon is fishing right now. If you are ok fishing all day for a couple of bites, knowing one of them could be "the one". Then Ivie is a good choice. I love Ivie, but a week of it is hard for me to stay patient.

Couple of threads on here about Falcon right now.
Posted By: savntay

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/21/22 08:31 PM

I fished Falcon pre-hype and post-Elites. And after reading a couple previous post, it sounds like it would be hard to turn down a trip to Falcon right now!

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/21/22 11:42 PM

Looks like Falcon is winning
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/21/22 11:56 PM

falcon is easier to catch fish on
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/22/22 12:53 AM

Falcon
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/22/22 01:33 AM

Depends on the weather. If the wind is blowing out of the north those Mexican bass get severe lock jaw.
Posted By: prosise

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/22/22 02:18 AM

Depends on where you live. Falcon is a long drive, and there is the border issue. Full moon in January could be spawning weather. That's a tough question, the food down south is so good. Only fished Ivie back when it was young, but it has good potential if your fishing with FFS and your familiar with the system.

50/50 for me. I'd say 3 days on one, and go from there. Takes me 3 days on a new lake to get warmed up on a solid pattern.
Posted By: Swimbaitbasser

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/22/22 02:54 AM

I would imagine that either body of water will have you around some quality fish that will make you smile and have a great memorable day. Seems for sure that Ivie has the mondos that will make any man feel has though he just hit the jackpot. If you choose Ivie your chance at that teener is there, every time you're on a quality body of water there is a chance at magic and you could be the one that day holding that 13,14,15 or even a 11 or 12. Good luck with your decision and enjoy your trip.
Posted By: otay michael

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/22/22 09:38 AM

I've fished and love both. Good luck on the one you end up at. Well, with a week, I'd fish both come to think of it.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/22/22 12:28 PM

Go read the Falcon Lake Tackle fishing report… it’s a little more down to earth than the guide posts. Not very many normal fisherman are going to show up at Ivie or Falcon and produce what the guides are. If it were me I’d probably go to Falcon in Jan in hopes they start moving to the bank and get off those isolated rock honey holes out a little deeper.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/22/22 01:51 PM

If you want to be warm Falcon.
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/22/22 01:58 PM

What you won't hear on this forum is 90% of the fisherman that go to Ivie get skunked on a daily basis. Don't sign your dad up for that. Go to Falcon and enjoy yourself.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/22/22 01:59 PM

It would be interesting to know how many folks have made the pilgrimage to Ivie and been stone skunked. It's no cakewalk unless you are a live sonar pro, even then you need them to be willing to bite.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/22/22 02:38 PM

Ivie is very susceptible to changes in temperature and water level. It's one of those lakes where bass can get really triggered into brief feeding windows or shutting down for a long time. Went there late September 2019 as I had a feeling it was primed to start giving up big fish. The lake was the fullest it had been in years.
Think it was a weird early turnover with lots of dead 3-5lb carp floating on the surface. With regular 2D and DI, caught a few good size bass (3-5lbers) retrieving a deep diving crankbait on top of trees at river and creek channel bends. Caught a lot of smaller bass with a spoon with a similar tree tops pattern. Did catch a few good sized bass throwing a light T rigged stick bait in 5-8ft brush toward the backs of creeks.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/22/22 03:53 PM

I fished Ivie 3 times last year in June, August, and in October.

On our June trip we didnt catch any giants but we caught 4-6 lb fish just about everywhere we fished on the lake.

Had a club tournament in August and caught a 17" smallmouth on my 3rd cast. I knew for sure I was weighing in a 3 fish limit that day. Caught a 12" fish at 2:00 and weighed in 4 lbs with 2 fish.

Had a tournament with a different club in October. I caught 1-3lb fish early in the morning. Was bleeding and struggling in the livewell, so I released him figuring it would be his best chance at surviving. He swam off never to be seen again and I showed up at weigh in empty handed.

I will never pass up a trip to Ivie, but it can surely give you a boost in confidence one day and humble you the next.
Posted By: Gungle

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/22/22 05:33 PM

Falcon!
Posted By: Team Lund

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/22/22 05:36 PM

Absolutely love Falcon, but I would not go down right now.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/22/22 06:27 PM

ive had 1 good trip in the last 4 trips to ivie, it is one tough sob

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/23/22 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Team Lund

Just because of the border situation? Or is there other reasons?
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/23/22 02:25 AM

I wouldn’t hesitate at all, if there were issues James wouldn’t hide it and it would be all over this forum.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/23/22 02:32 AM

Why?
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/23/22 02:37 AM

With the amount of idiots on the lake at Ivie. I can assure you that there is 1000x less danger on falcon. There will be a head on collision up the river at Ivie this year watch.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/23/22 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jersey Dan
With the amount of idiots on the lake at Ivie. I can assure you that there is 1000x less danger on falcon. There will be a head on collision up the river at Ivie this year watch.

Can sure see that happening!
Especially with more and more people stacking electronics--adding a 360 plus a targetlock or similar FFS aid.
Lot of these boats have got a blind spot now---even worse when taking off.
Posted By: Qbhunt

Re: Falcon or Ivie? - 12/23/22 10:42 PM

I just spent 11 days on Ivie and have another 30-40 days on that lake this year. Lake fishes small and is tough. I have more zeros than 10 fish days. The livescope season brings in some of the best fisherman in the country and you still have several very good local guides and fisherman.
Most of my friends leave after 2-3 days of not catching fish as would most sane people.
May and June are the best months to catch numbers and maybe a BIG.
My most recent trip I had 1 great day ( 11.3, 2-5’s, 2-3’s).
Had 3 zero days, 7 days with 2-3 small fish.
From what I hear, Falcon is fishing good now. The lake is loaded with 8 lbers.
Good luck! Both are great choices.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum