Texas Fishing Forum

favorite flipping hook

Posted By: Ricktofish

favorite flipping hook - 12/19/22 07:41 PM

Everybody has their favorite . What is your favorite flipping/punching hook and size?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: favorite flipping hook - 12/19/22 07:41 PM

I use a 4/0 Hayabusa FPP the most but adjust hook size based on bait size
Posted By: Brent S

Re: favorite flipping hook - 12/19/22 08:50 PM

Owner jungle 3/0
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: favorite flipping hook - 12/19/22 09:21 PM

5/0 Owner Jungle hook
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: favorite flipping hook - 12/19/22 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Brent S
Owner jungle 3/0

been my go-to since about 2015 now.
Posted By: Jonah's View

Re: favorite flipping hook - 12/20/22 12:22 AM

sproat style, eagle claw in either a 3 or 4 size... i like the lighter wire hook over some of the extreme flipping hooks that are hardened, because when I drive them into some wood/ect. I can pull them free with my 20 to 25 pound Floro or braid and get the weight and hook back, bend them back and sharpen the hook and I'm back in business... in 30+ years I've never lost a fish because the hook gave... so these heavy hardened "flipping" hooks are not the gift... I know we'll hear the "if its not the X brand $3 a piece flipping hook ya just can't fish" story... LOL
thumb
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: favorite flipping hook - 12/20/22 12:56 AM

Plain old owner 3,4,5 extra strong, never had a problem
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: favorite flipping hook - 12/20/22 04:34 AM

Gamakatsu Saltwater Series SL12S Fly Hook in 4/0. Been using it for years.[Linked Image]
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: favorite flipping hook - 12/20/22 02:26 PM

Owner Jungle hook. 3/0 or 4/0 according to the bait. Beaver or brush hog..
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: favorite flipping hook - 12/21/22 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Fish Killer
5/0 Owner Jungle hook

This one
Posted By: Cmack

Re: favorite flipping hook - 12/21/22 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jonah's View
sproat style, eagle claw in either a 3 or 4 size... i like the lighter wire hook over some of the extreme flipping hooks that are hardened, because when I drive them into some wood/ect. I can pull them free with my 20 to 25 pound Floro or braid and get the weight and hook back, bend them back and sharpen the hook and I'm back in business... in 30+ years I've never lost a fish because the hook gave... so these heavy hardened "flipping" hooks are not the gift... I know we'll hear the "if its not the X brand $3 a piece flipping hook ya just can't fish" story... LOL
thumb

Agree, I use an Owner straight shank in whatever is the appropriate size for the chosen lure. I normally will use the standard wire but sometimes the xxx strong. I can't remember ever losing a fish due to hook failure with the standard wire. The Owner xxx strong are a bit different per size as the regular and often that that is the deciding factor in my hook choice.
Posted By: Panhandle

Re: favorite flipping hook - 12/21/22 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fish Killer
5/0 Owner Jungle hook

Fish Killer got me started on these a couple of years ago. They are the best I can find.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: favorite flipping hook - 12/21/22 07:37 PM

3/0 and 4/0 H2O flipping hooks. Bulk packs.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: favorite flipping hook - 12/22/22 12:43 PM

Gamakatsu G-Finesse Hybrid hooks 3/0 and 4/0. These have some sort of coating on them that I really like and the only problem I have had with them is getting fish unhooked when I get them in the boat. They grab hold as well as any hook I have ever used.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: favorite flipping hook - 12/22/22 12:51 PM

If I'm flipping more vertical, owner jungle. If I'm flipping at a distance like sight fishing, owner haymaker or jungle wide gap
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: favorite flipping hook - 12/23/22 03:20 PM

4/0 and 5/0 Mustad grip pin.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum