Texas Fishing Forum

Whitney

Posted By: MJS34

Whitney - 12/17/22 02:51 AM

Has anybody been on Whitney lately? Thinking about coming down between the holidays again this year but staying on Whitney instead of Belton. I see it is around 7 foot low this year compared to the 3 feet last year. Is McCown still good to unload and anything major to worry about running the lake at this level?

Trying to decide between Bob Sandlin and Welsh like most years or exploring Whitney again. Only hit it one day last time and seemed like a interesting lake.

Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Whiney - 12/17/22 07:05 AM

my friend just fished 3 days and caught one keeper. tournament last weekend with 82 boats and there was 2.6 fish per boat average. whitney has been off this year
Posted By: Tin Star Cajun

Re: Whiney - 12/17/22 11:09 AM

I just fished it a few days in the last two weeks. Last Monday we caught four keepers (bass) and five that were too small. We also got four white bass (all keepers) and three stripers (only one keeper). You just have to find the pattern and you should do Ok. Sometimes I don’t find it though. Look for birds, windblown points and work your way in. Deeper coves that are creek fed with bends are productive. Good luck
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Whiney - 12/17/22 07:57 PM

May be in a down cycle. Haven't been since September all 3 in the boat zeroed that day, first time in a long time I've done that on W but Sep is tough and just assumed it was time of year.
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: Whiney - 12/19/22 07:00 PM

There’s no bass left in that lake.

Re: Whiney - 12/19/22 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by tx2va07
There’s no bass left in that lake.

yea all the stupid stripers killed them

Re: Whiney - 12/20/22 01:36 AM

Thanks guys. Good or bad we decided to do Whitney again since we didn't get to give it a fair chance last year. We got four days next week to figure something out.

Re: Whiney - 12/20/22 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by MJS34
Thanks guys. Good or bad we decided to do Whitney again since we didn't get to give it a fair chance last year. We got four days next week to figure something out.

water should be cold enough for the a rig out there. make sure u remove the stripers at all cost lol
Posted By: BlueSkeeter13

Re: Whiney - 12/20/22 05:24 PM

I fish on Whitney a lot and it has been really tough lately, but it is always tough for me in the winter. That's why I usually start targeting the striper this time of year. The water is 8 ft low, but the launch at McCown is fine. Follow your maps and you'll be fine. Good luck!

Re: Whiney - 12/21/22 12:11 AM

Thanks we are looking forward to it. Allways want and plan on catching a few fish but we are realistic. Just been lucky enough for both of us to get off work for the week between Christmas and New Years the last few years and like coming down and exploring new lakes.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum