Texas Fishing Forum

Would catching the state record bring monetary gain

Posted By: LeonSulak

Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/10/22 06:49 PM

To the angler? If so, how much do you guess?

Assuming not a guide and a public lake.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/10/22 07:22 PM

if you could keep it alive,you might could sell it to Bass pro shop to put in one of their aquariums.....
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/10/22 07:48 PM

100% yes , if the angler was smart , he would limit any access to pics of the fish , how it was caught , what boat he used etc....
I would guess a true world record , caught on American soil --- could be worth millions
Posted By: Grasshopperglock

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/10/22 07:52 PM

I agree. You could get your name on the bait package. With royalties on every package sold.

Every maker of the equipment you used. Would want you to advertise their products. Giving you kickbacks. Free products.

You would literally be Famous.
Posted By: prosise

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/10/22 08:16 PM

Jackpot..
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/10/22 08:54 PM

I’m going to be contrarian and say no. It’ll get you lots of attention for sure, but there will also be plenty of people doubting it, assuming it’s a fake somehow, and generally complaining (check the thread a couple of years ago on the OH Ivie big bass caught by the Nebraskans).
You might get some sponsorship deals, but I’m guessing not enough to buy a new truck, let alone retire early. Fake will be fleeting and the financial rewards not all that great.
Then again, I could be wrong.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/10/22 09:12 PM

I think it would if you play your cards right.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/10/22 09:41 PM

$932.81
Posted By: Rescue Fire

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/10/22 09:46 PM

The OP asked if a state record could make some money. I agree with whoever said sell it to BPS, they'd prolly pay some $$$. Prolly not much money to be had after that.

A world record caught here in America could be a totally different story though.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/10/22 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rescue Fire
The OP asked if a state record could make some money. I agree with whoever said sell it to BPS, they'd prolly pay some $$$. Prolly not much money to be had after that.

A world record caught here in America could be a totally different story though.

pretty sure bass pro leases the fish with significance, don't think it is legal to sell gamefish like that but not sure.

and yes, play it right and it could be worth a bunch of bucks from royalties, sponsorships etc.

Sec. 66.111. SALE AND PURCHASE OF CERTAIN FISH. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b) no person may buy or offer to buy, sell or offer to sell, possess for the purpose of sale, transport or ship for the purpose of sale, or barter or exchange:

(1) freshwater crappie, bass of the genus Micropterus, striped bass and hybrids of striped bass, white bass, walleye, sauger, northern pike, muskellunge, trout of the family Salmonidae, flathead catfish; or

(2) any other fish taken from the public fresh water of this state.

(b) Subsection (a) does not apply to:

(1) a fish, other than a bass of the genus Micropterus, reared in private water by an operator of a commercial aquaculture facility, as defined by Section 134.001, Agriculture Code;

(2) a fish possessed legally outside this state and transported into this state;

(3) bass of the genus Micropterus reared in private water by an operator of a commercial aquaculture facility, as defined by Section 134.001, Agriculture Code, and marketed for the purpose of stocking the water of this state;

(4) nongame fish regulated under Chapter 67 of this code; or

(5) channel catfish of more than 14 inches in length or blue catfish of more than 14 inches in length taken from the public fresh water of Angelina, Bowie, Camp, Cass, Chambers, Franklin, Freestone, Gregg, Hardin, Harris, Harrison, Jasper, Jefferson, Lamar, Leon, Liberty, Madison, Marion, Montgomery, Morris, Nacogdoches, Navarro, Newton, Orange, Panola, Polk, Red River, Sabine, San Augustine, San Jacinto, Shelby, Titus, Trinity, Tyler, Upshur, or Walker County, the public fresh water of the Neches or Trinity River in Houston County, the public fresh water of the Colorado River in Bastrop, Colorado, Fayette, Matagorda, or Wharton County, or the public fresh water of Falcon Lake in Starr or Zapata County.

(c) The fish shipped into this state must have a bill of lading with the shipment stating the number, pounds, and species of fish in the shipment, their place of origin, the name and address of the shipper, the name and address of the receiver, and the date of the shipment. The receiver of the shipment must keep the bills of lading on file for not less than one year from the date of shipment.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/10/22 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1oldbassguy
100% yes , if the angler was smart , he would limit any access to pics of the fish , how it was caught , what boat he used etc....
I would guess a true world record , caught on American soil --- could be worth millions

Not anywhere close to that.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/10/22 10:57 PM

Yes… especially if you play your cards right on what bait it was caught on. hmmm
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/11/22 12:44 AM

Depends if I’m hungry or not bolt grin
Posted By: goodman_fishing

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/11/22 01:00 AM

May get some interview/podcast type deals for a brief period, but it'd wear off pretty quickly. State record would sure be amazing, but people aren't just going to throw money at some random person that catches it.

It'd help if you had an existing monetized social media channel AND had it on video.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/11/22 03:48 PM

Yes most definitley, especially if you caught it out of a modern bass boat, like was said I caught it out of this brand boat, trolling motor, electronics, shallow water anchors, and so on. Wouldn't worry about trying to cash out the actual fish; don't think you can do that anyway, but if it were here "share a lunker" would probably want it or it could go to BPS like Ethel did.
Posted By: Clark Reehm

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/11/22 08:27 PM

Unless you actually owned the bait company that you caught it on, I would say no. The odds get even worse if you were just some random dude that got lucky.
Posted By: texasfisherman1

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/11/22 08:30 PM

Not much, it's just a green fish in the grand scheme of things.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/11/22 09:10 PM

Not fishing related but in the late 90’s a buddy killed a monster of an 8 in Kansas and some guy with basspro paid him 8k for the horns. He’s from Kansas and thought nothing about it. He still has no idea what it scored. So yeah I think a person would on a state record bass

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/11/22 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
Yes most definitley, especially if you caught it out of a modern bass boat, like was said I caught it out of this brand boat, trolling motor, electronics, shallow water anchors, and so on. Wouldn't worry about trying to cash out the actual fish; don't think you can do that anyway, but if it were here "share a lunker" would probably want it or it could go to BPS like Ethel did.

I doubt you would get hardly anything from boat,tm or electronic manufacturers. And you can't sell the fish but you can lease it like Ethel was
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/11/22 09:13 PM

Whoever offers the most money is who’s tackle I’m saying I used.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/11/22 11:03 PM

It all depends on the person that catches the fish. If that person knows how to market it they could do pretty well (several hundred thousand $ not millions). If someone with a large SM presence caught the fish it could be worth a mill or two but hard to say.

If someone like Barry St.Clair (current record holder) caught the fish it would be worthless. He was interviewed by Ray Sasser for the Dallas Morning News and he actually poked fun at people that spend thousands of dollars on fancy boats and fishing equipment.

He was quoted saying, "I probably have $14 in the rod & reel I caught her on" when Sasser interviewed him. I don't think he was saying it spitefully, just ignorant to the fact the fish could've changed his life as a dairy farmer. He did wind up quitting the milk producing plant in Sulfur Springs to go to work for TPWD in Athens. He was there only a few short years.

Not sure what he does today but I'm pretty sure he ain't flying around in his private Gulf Stream.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/11/22 11:22 PM

No... There are how many state record bass and I'd bet any money would be small... Dan

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/11/22 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dan21XRS
No... There are how many state record bass and I'd bet any money would be small... Dan

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/12/22 12:38 AM

I wonder if the bait shop would give the state record holder a minnow sponsorship. Or would zebco give them a new $30 combo.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/12/22 01:21 AM

I disagree. When Texas breaks the State record it would be at the least the third largest bass in recent yrs caught in North America. Bass Pro would pay big $$$ for that in their aquarium

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/12/22 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by BrandoA

I disagree. When Texas breaks the State record it would be at the least the third largest bass in recent yrs caught in North America. Bass Pro would pay big $$$ for that in their aquarium

Not even close to big money. Maybe 3 thousand a month
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/12/22 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ken A.
It all depends on the person that catches the fish. If that person knows how to market it they could do pretty well (several hundred thousand $ not millions). If someone with a large SM presence caught the fish it could be worth a mill or two but hard to say.

If someone like Barry St.Clair (current record holder) caught the fish it would be worthless. He was interviewed by Ray Sasser for the Dallas Morning News and he actually poked fun at people that spend thousands of dollars on fancy boats and fishing equipment.

He was quoted saying, "I probably have $14 in the rod & reel I caught her on" when Sasser interviewed him. I don't think he was saying it spitefully, just ignorant to the fact the fish could've changed his life as a dairy farmer. He did wind up quitting the milk producing plant in Sulfur Springs to go to work for TPWD in Athens. He was there only a few short years.

Not sure what he does today but I'm pretty sure he ain't flying around in his private Gulf Stream.

[Linked Image]

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/12/22 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by lconn4
Originally Posted by Ken A.

[Linked Image]

Yep

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/12/22 01:34 PM

I am sure many of you have seen some of Ty Kleeb's YT vids. Super nice guy.

[Linked Image]

He has built a huge following on Youtube. He is now making five figures per month from YT. He told me he makes 10X the money from a video of catching a 30# catfish in a neighborhood pond as he does catching a 10# bass. As popular as we think bass fishing is to the world it actually appeals to a very small percentage of folks globally.

Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/12/22 01:40 PM

If it’s ever caught, I hope they are using FFS, just so Ol’ Randy B can have a stroke from flipping out.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/12/22 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
If it’s ever caught, I hope they are using FFS, just so Ol’ Randy B can have a stroke from flipping out.

roflmao
Posted By: 572Fitter

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/12/22 04:01 PM

Catching a new recird Small mouth would be unbelievable.I can picture myself now,rolling through Broadway in a limo hanging out the suroof with my replica.Beautiful women throwing their panties at me.It would be epic fir shure👙🦈😂
Posted By: expo

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/13/22 12:58 PM

Fake News.... if reportedly caught at Lake Fork. The GOAT has died,
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/13/22 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by BrandoA
.. I disagree. When Texas breaks the State record it would be at the least the third largest bass in recent yrs caught in North America. Bass Pro would pay big $$$ for that in their aquarium

Well the guy just caught the 10lb smallie on Erie so that has to be either the new state record for either Ohio, Mishitgan, Pennsylvania, New York or Canada (I'm not sure which jurisdiction it was caught in) and I haven't heard that they're retiring or have signed a life changing sponsorship agreement... As a matter of fact I haven't seen anything since the original video... Just saying, smallies hunters are just as passionate as any other sportsman... Dan
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/13/22 03:39 PM

If you know how to market it then yes you would make money. If you think companies are gonna come running g to you with cash in hand then probably not.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/13/22 04:15 PM

My neighbor's brother is Mark Stevenson , he caught " Ethel ". He leased her to Bass Pro Shops until her death. Might just be the most famous bass of all times. Her death made the new in Japan. I don't know the monetary details , but could probably find out.

MO
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/13/22 04:18 PM

I think it would be pretty tough to make much if anything off the fish. If you happen to have a cast to catch video that would help. Even then it would have to be a good video. Solid quality, somehow entertaining. A post-catch video would be better than nothing. You'd then have to figure out how to monetize the video, which may be harder than it sounds. Youtube has rules now that make it much more difficult for the average joe to monetize a video. Even if you did have a paid channel, last I knew they paid something like 6 bucks per thousand views. A big fish like that might get a few million views. Maybe more. If you hit 10M that would be 60K. You'd have to turn your video into something long enough and high enough quality they could slip ads in. Most of us would probably have to hire someone to help with all this so subtract that cost. Also, cross your fingers the fish lives, if she dies the value would shrink dramatically as you'd be accused of all kinds of terrible handling techniques etc...

It would also help if you caught the fish on a high-margin specialty lure (like a fancy high-dollar swim bait). You could probably get a sponsorship or maybe a cut of the sales from the manufacturer if you were actually able to control the release of information.

I think most of us would take a picture holding the fish and post it on facebook and the TFF right away. We'd get a bunch of likes and shares but zero cash. Somebody from wired to fish would call and interview you. Again, probably zero cash. We'd have a cool story and that's about it.

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/13/22 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jpurdue
I think it would be pretty tough to make much if anything off the fish. If you happen to have a cast to catch video that would help. Even then it would have to be a good video. Solid quality, somehow entertaining. A post-catch video would be better than nothing. You'd then have to figure out how to monetize the video, which may be harder than it sounds. Youtube has rules now that make it much more difficult for the average joe to monetize a video. Even if you did have a paid channel, last I knew they paid something like 6 bucks per thousand views. A big fish like that might get a few million views. Maybe more. If you hit 10M that would be 60K. You'd have to turn your video into something long enough and high enough quality they could slip ads in. Most of us would probably have to hire someone to help with all this so subtract that cost. Also, cross your fingers the fish lives, if she dies the value would shrink dramatically as you'd be accused of all kinds of terrible handling techniques etc...

It would also help if you caught the fish on a high-margin specialty lure (like a fancy high-dollar swim bait). You could probably get a sponsorship or maybe a cut of the sales from the manufacturer if you were actually able to control the release of information.

I think most of us would take a picture holding the fish and post it on facebook and the TFF right away. We'd get a bunch of likes and shares but zero cash. Somebody from wired to fish would call and interview you. Again, probably zero cash. We'd have a cool story and that's about it.

So no minnows while crappie fishin’?
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/13/22 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dubee
Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

I doubt you would get hardly anything from boat,tm or electronic manufacturers. And you can't sell the fish but you can lease it like Ethel was

Agreed but if you were a real good salesman you might pull it off. average Joe probably not.........The original post was for a state record not a world record, should have read it closer. A new world record LMB would make it interesting........
Posted By: 572Fitter

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/14/22 12:14 AM

If a woman caught it ....game changer!

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/14/22 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by 572Fitter
If a woman caught it ....game changer!

Not necessarily. If a hot chick caught it she could probably make some money. A big fat ugly chick wouldn't make anything
Posted By: Rescue Fire

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/14/22 12:54 AM

I hope another crappie fisherman catches it.
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/14/22 11:50 AM

Pretty sure this subject is something most of us need not worry too much about laugh
Posted By: Dognot

Re: Would catching the state record bring monetary gain - 12/14/22 06:54 PM

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/programs/fishrecords/freshwater/top50_largemouth.phtml

I have known or met a few of these guys. I know a guy on this forum that caught a sharekunker at Ivie, He said that fish was worth $ 11,000 when it all said and done.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum