Texas Fishing Forum

Needing new rod advice

Posted By: bell0347

Needing new rod advice - 12/09/22 06:39 PM

I'm looking to up my game a bit in the rod department (no, I don't need Hims, lol). I have a mish mash of stuff with lots of good Lew's reels on them and I am trying to downsize a bit but go up in quality. I am looking at stuff like Tatula's, Sierra/Fury, Intenza/Curado, Phenix M1, etc. I don't mind paying a bit more for a couple of really good rods for bottom contact stuff, maybe an expride or Champion, etc. but for moving, reaction bait type stuff I'd like to keep it under $200 per rod. I am not super brand loyal but I am trying to avoid the mish mash of different handle types, weights, colors and [censored] that I have now so if there's a particular line you have found as your go to, please fill me in. Thanks for any input.
Posted By: Jordan18

Re: Needing new rod advice - 12/09/22 06:59 PM

pm sent
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Needing new rod advice - 12/09/22 07:03 PM

Don’t rule out Falcon rods.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Needing new rod advice - 12/09/22 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Don’t rule out Falcon GLoomis rods.
Posted By: Weekender1

Re: Needing new rod advice - 12/09/22 07:39 PM

Dobyns has created a new series called Kaden Series ( https://dobynsrods.com/the-dobyns-kaden-series/ ) go to the website and check them out. I have been using Dobyns for 5 or so years now. I have changed models every time that they come out with a new one and so far the Kadens are my favorite.

Jody
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Needing new rod advice - 12/09/22 09:24 PM

Falcon
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Needing new rod advice - 12/09/22 11:31 PM

If you want Dobyns, you won’t get a much better price than right now. I quit buying them, because I broke 3. Changed to Falcon, but buy what you want.

https://www.landbigfish.com/DobynsRods/Dobyns-Rods
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Needing new rod advice - 12/10/22 02:13 AM

I've been impressed with Dobyn's Sierra line and those above it. I am a big Falcon fan but, hate to say it, I don't think they have a great spinning rod for drop shot/finesse work. Got a Champion XP specific for drop shotting and it's near the top of my favorite rod list; right with if not a touch above the Cara mainly due to the action of the tip.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Needing new rod advice - 12/10/22 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Outdoordude
I've been impressed with Dobyn's Sierra line and those above it. I am a big Falcon fan but, hate to say it, I don't think they have a great spinning rod for drop shot/finesse work. Got a Champion XP specific for drop shotting and it's near the top of my favorite rod list; right with if not a touch above the Cara mainly due to the action of the tip.

That’s odd. I have a Falcon Cara “shaky head “ rod that I use for weightless senkos around docks that I prefer far and above the Steez AGS and GLX rods that I own.

I guess that’s why there are so many different companies. So everyone can have what they like. cheers
Posted By: Pokie1

Re: Needing new rod advice - 12/10/22 03:46 AM

Falcon thumb
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Needing new rod advice - 12/10/22 11:36 AM

look at the TFO rods, I have switched over to mostly TFO with lews reels and am very pleased with them.
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Needing new rod advice - 12/10/22 02:29 PM

Falcon all the way my friend. Order them, their made in Oklahoma and they’ll be here in a day. Southwest and Fishin World Carrie’s them.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Needing new rod advice - 12/10/22 04:22 PM

I like FXtreme rods for moving baits. I order them online and shipping is fast. He will have a Christmas sale on the rods. I have about 12 of these rods. All of mine have the rubber grips and they do not feel either sticky or slick when they get wet like some of the other brand rods rubber grips do. I first read about them on here from another member so I tried one and liked it so much, I ordered several more from 6-3 in length to 7-10 in length depending on what I am going to throw.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Needing new rod advice - 12/10/22 10:09 PM

Check out Killer Rods!
Posted By: Richard C

Re: Needing new rod advice - 12/11/22 02:43 AM

Love my Castaway rods, Skeleton rods... Best $100 rod IMO, better then most $200 rods.

https://castawayrods.com/index.php?route=common/home
Posted By: manhunter

Re: Needing new rod advice - 12/11/22 03:02 AM

It amazes me how anglers feel they have to "upgrade" their rods to be more competitive. Unless you're going to real next level (G-Loomis etc) stuff, there's nothing wrong with the 100-150 dollar rods. You simply don't need to break the bank on a rod. Matt Robertson is an Elite Pro and uses $69 Ugly Stiks and does just fine. It's like my grandpa used to say, it's not the rod, it's the angler that can't catch em.....
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Needing new rod advice - 12/11/22 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by manhunter
It amazes me how anglers feel they have to "upgrade" their rods to be more competitive. Unless you're going to real next level (G-Loomis etc) stuff, there's nothing wrong with the 100-150 dollar rods. You simply don't need to break the bank on a rod. Matt Robertson is an Elite Pro and uses $69 Ugly Stiks and does just fine. It's like my grandpa used to say, it's not the rod, it's the angler that can't catch em.....

I have about 2 dozen GLoomis rods and I still suck.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Needing new rod advice - 12/11/22 12:31 PM

falcon, g loomis, and shimano all have pretty much rods for around ish
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Needing new rod advice - 12/11/22 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Originally Posted by manhunter

I have about 2 dozen GLoomis rods and I still suck.

Stop sand-bagging me! roflmao
Posted By: bell0347

Re: Needing new rod advice - 12/11/22 02:20 PM

Thanks for all the input! I'm seeing lots of love for Falcon. I worked at Academy 25 years ago and I really pushed Falcon rods and Shimano reels, they were the best stuff for the money at the time, in my opinion. I might try to find a place around the Houston area that has some of the Caras or Experts and check them out. The last Falcon I picked up, unsure of the model, felt the same as the ones I used to sell and made me feel like maybe they hadn't kept up with modern actions and construction processes.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Needing new rod advice - 12/11/22 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Don’t rule out Falcon GLoomis rods.

I am a Loomis rod-snob too.

I would say this about G. Loomis rods, if you don't wanna pop for the GLX or above stay with something else. I bought two IMX Pros a couple years ago and I do not like them as well as the iMX's of 20 yrs ago. Its not the quaity of the rod, they changed the handle and put a weird bump on it in front of the reel I don't like. lol_2
Posted By: DillonCan'tFish

Re: Needing new rod advice - 12/12/22 04:25 PM

I agree. I have been using a handful of $100-$200 price range rods from Daiwa, Lews, and one G-Rod for years. I picked up a Falcon Lowrider "Heavy Cover Jig" rod a few months back and have been very impressed. I needed a good all-around heavy rod for frogs, punching some grass, and throwing a couple of heavy swimbaits. I fish out of a kayak so I am limited to the number of rods I can carry and didn't want to have to carry separate rods for each application. This one is awesome for what I needed.
I also just purchased 2 Lowrider "Swim Jig" rods. They are still in the shipping tube by the Christmas tree, but after checking them out at the house, I can't wait to get them out on the water.

I would give Falcon a try and see what you think.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum