Texas Fishing Forum

Lipless Help

Posted By: K.G

Lipless Help - 12/02/22 05:30 AM

At what Ounce Weight Would you start throwing Lipless Cranks with a snap swivel? Thank You For the input and TIGHT LINES.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Lipless Help - 12/02/22 05:38 AM

Don't throw a lipless on a snap swivel!!!! but start with 1/2oz redeye shad and if it gets stuck in the grass switch to 1/4!

Re: Lipless Help - 12/02/22 05:52 AM

What is the best application for a Snap Swivel? I am an Old and my sight ain't as Good ( AND MAYBE A BIT LAZY) . Just trying to consolodate my tackle time on the water. THANK YOU for the reply Dropshot King and ALL other's for input.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Lipless Help - 12/02/22 11:34 AM

The best application for a snap swivel is spoon or slab fishing for white bass.

For years, I’d never use a snap on anything other than wiggle warts.
Then I got some heavy duty saltwater cross lock snaps for big swimbaits, then started using them on 10XDs, and now all crankbaits.

I think you are just fine using a heavy duty cross lock snap on lipless cranks, I just don’t trust the swivel component on snap swivels.

The size 3 cross lock snaps at Barlow’s are all you need. I believe they are rated for 120lbs or so. Be sure to change them out after a while. The snap component does get weaker every time you open it to change lures.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Lipless Help - 12/02/22 03:29 PM

No longer made but the old Bomber Pinfish came with a snap (bait didn’t work well without snap). Caught easily over 1,000 bass on them in the scattered vegetation back when Monticello was hot water. They would outcatch RatlTrap or Cordell Spots 10 to 1. And yes occasionally on a big fish you might only reel back an open or broken snap. roflmao
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Lipless Help - 12/02/22 04:22 PM

If you want to rip 5/8 - 1 oz.

If you want to fish above the grass 1/8 - 1/2 oz

Best ripping trap are the LC LVs

Best above grass are the original Rattletraps

my 2cents
Posted By: goodman_fishing

Re: Lipless Help - 12/02/22 11:51 PM

I use VMC touch-lok snaps, but they are not inexpensive snap-swivels from Wal-Mart. The Size 2s are rated to 94 pounds!

They do have a swivel version, if you just gotta have a swivel.
https://amzn.to/3VFs9gg
Posted By: Loomis ex

Re: Lipless Help - 12/03/22 04:04 AM

Norman Speed Clips. Used them for years on all lipless and diving cranks. You will never break one. Remove the split ring and put this on. Does not affect the action at all. Super quick and easy to change out lures.
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Norman_Speed_Clips/descpage-NMSPD.html
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Lipless Help - 12/03/22 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
If you want to rip 5/8 - 1 oz.

If you want to fish above the grass 1/8 - 1/2 oz

Best ripping trap are the LC LVs

Best above grass are the original Rattletraps

my 2cents

+1

Re: Lipless Help - 12/03/22 09:46 PM

Appreciate The Input. Tight Lines Ya'll.thumb
Posted By: Pokie1

Re: Lipless Help - 12/03/22 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Loomis ex
Norman Speed Clips. Used them for years on all lipless and diving cranks. You will never break one. Remove the split ring and put this on. Does not affect the action at all. Super quick and easy to change out lures.
[Linked Image]

^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^ yes
Posted By: Grasshopperglock

Re: Lipless Help - 12/03/22 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pokie1
[Linked Image]

^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^ yes

They will not work with jigs. The eyelet on the jig is too small for that thick ring to fit through it.

Re: Lipless Help - 12/03/22 10:34 PM

i thought we were talking lipless juggle

Re: Lipless Help - 12/03/22 11:03 PM

We never stopped. Just consider that clip as not being universal. So if you think you're going to switch out that hard bait to something else. That clip is a No Go.

I bought some too. How cool is it? It's a clip and split ring all in one?

Until you figure out, that's only for hard baits. Plus, they're expensive. $5 for a pack and in my humble, lowly opinion. They suck.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Lipless Help - 12/04/22 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by CCTX

Then I got some heavy duty saltwater cross lock snaps for big swimbaits, then started using them on 10XDs, and now all crankbaits.

I think you are just fine using a heavy duty cross lock snap on lipless cranks, I just don’t trust the swivel component on snap swivels.

The size 3 cross lock snaps at Barlow’s are all you need. I believe they are rated for 120lbs or so. Be sure to change them out after a while. The snap component does get weaker every time you open it to change lures.

[Linked Image]

this ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ best thing since sliced bread. simple easy bait switch to anything you want.

Re: Lipless Help - 12/04/22 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Grasshopperglock

We never stopped. Just consider that clip as not being universal. So if you think you're going to switch out that hard bait to something else. That clip is a No Go.

I bought some too. How cool is it? It's a clip and split ring all in one?

Until you figure out, that's only for hard baits. Plus, they're expensive. $5 for a pack and in my humble, lowly opinion. They suck.
okay......

smile

Re: Lipless Help - 12/04/22 12:29 AM

Fair enough.

Re: Lipless Help - 12/04/22 12:33 AM

Bought another Yo-Zuri today.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Lipless Help - 12/04/22 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
Originally Posted by CCTX

[Linked Image]

this ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ best thing since sliced bread. simple easy bait switch to anything you want.

+1 I have use these for many years now and they are great for all hard baits.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Lipless Help - 12/04/22 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Grasshopperglock
[Linked Image]

^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^ yes

They will not work with jigs. The eyelet on the jig is too small for that thick ring to fit through it.

I have used Norman Speed Clips for years. I always put a small barrel swivel on them. I just recently started using Norton Quick Twists which already come with a barrel swivel. I have never had either fail on me. Yes, there are some lures that have too small of an eye for the Speed Clips to work with.

Re: Lipless Help - 12/04/22 01:41 AM

Barlow's Tackle......ah yes..made their Christmas card list again!.... roflmao
Posted By: romeroxl1200

Re: Lipless Help - 12/04/22 09:51 PM

I use a snap swivel on all lipless, cranks, etc just for speed of changing lures...never with a flipping, chatter, CR, Texas, Ned, etc.

Re: Lipless Help - 12/04/22 10:56 PM

I rig most of my soft baits at home. Treating them as a completed lure. Most have leaders because of the rig setup.

I enjoy snaps and they come in handy. I can switch out to my soft baits and not worry about shortening my mono leader on the braid.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum