Texas Fishing Forum

Peacock Bass in Louisiana

Posted By: rodknocker

Peacock Bass in Louisiana - 11/26/22 01:24 PM

Just saw a report of a Peacock bass caught in Bayou St. John. LDWF will conduct a survey to determine if there are more.
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Peacock Bass in Louisiana - 11/26/22 03:58 PM

Long way from home!
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Peacock Bass in Louisiana - 11/26/22 04:51 PM

The state has produced some strange catches for sure. There has been about a 7 pound rainbow trout caught out of the Ouachita River near Monroe, probably came down out of Arkansas, and most recently a Walleye was caught out of Lake D'arbonne,
When Darbonne was stocked for the first time in the early 60's they put Walleye in it just to see if they'd survive and as far as I know no one ever caught any of them so most folks just assumed they didn't make it because the water got to warm for them. The lake has water near the dam in the 40 foot range so some may have survived in that deeper water which is rarely ever fished. What really makes this crazy is the lake has been drawn down to the main channel several times in its existence for flood control when the weather was fairy warm, you'd think they'd have never survived that or they would have gone through the flood gates into the Ouachita River system.
Posted By: balazs

Re: Peacock Bass in Louisiana - 11/27/22 06:52 PM

Wow, thats insane. Just googled the article for extra info - fiesty little guy absolutely skewered the angler with his crankbait, forcing him to go to the E.R. so he snapped a quick picture of the fish for ID and let it go. Those fish are savage!
Posted By: TajChauvin

Re: Peacock Bass in Louisiana - 11/28/22 12:23 AM

100% certain it came from someone’s fish tank. When I was younger I would argue with people for putting random fish in the waters around City Park. I wish quality camera phones were around back then.
Posted By: manhunter

Re: Peacock Bass in Louisiana - 12/08/22 03:35 AM

Sounds like the "armchair fishing experts" claiming it's impossible for Lake Lavon to have tilapia because it's too cold. Yet, I see pic after pic of guides and locals catching plenty on most boat ramps all over the lake. Nothing surprises me...
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Peacock Bass in Louisiana - 12/08/22 05:05 AM

[Linked Image]

wonder whose blood that was roflmao

https://www.louisianasportsman.com/outdoor-updates/peacock-bass-in-bayou-st-john/
Posted By: CDub74

Re: Peacock Bass in Louisiana - 12/14/22 09:37 PM

I'm sure they could live there. If they transplanted ones from FL they can stand the weather because they have been adjusting for the last 20 years.
Posted By: john h

Re: Peacock Bass in Louisiana - 12/15/22 04:42 PM

That fish looks kind of hungry
Posted By: McCombs

Re: Peacock Bass in Louisiana - 12/16/22 12:50 AM

They don’t get nearly as fat as largemouths. Compressed a bit like dolphin(mahi). If you have never been lucky enough to catch one.. They have a level of aggression that is almost scary.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum