Texas Fishing Forum

The longest you drive for a day’s fishing?

Posted By: Cuervo Jones

The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/22/22 09:06 PM

What’s the longest drive you make for an average day’s fishing?
For me, it’s about 2 hours max. Longer than that and I’m looking at camping out. Thoughts?
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/22/22 09:14 PM

I used to drive three hours for a one-day trip no prob, especially if it was a place where I knew the fishing was good. But now I prefer driving as little as possible and There's only one lake less than an hour from me now....lol
Posted By: Jonah's View

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/22/22 09:22 PM

2hrs is about right...but I have made the trip to Rayburn early to fish most of the day to drive home that evening... 5hr Energy is your friend... LOL
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/22/22 09:29 PM

Did a 5+ hour drive to Falcon Lake from Del Rio once but it wasn't intentional to only be one day of fishing. Wife's uncle joined us and halfway there said he couldn't spend the night. Needless to say I was a bit pissed but watching him loose a 10 pounder boat side was enough karma for the ride home.
Posted By: wabash2015

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/22/22 09:36 PM

1.5 hours each way is about my limit unless the bite is really on, then I'll push it to 2 hours each way.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/22/22 09:40 PM

Anymore two hours is plenty for me.
Sadley, that's how far the only decent lake is.
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/22/22 10:06 PM

You guys are making me feel a lot better. I was thinking I’m a huge wimp for not wanting to drive longer than 4 hours round trip. Now I know I’m a wimp for all sorts of other reasons, but not this!
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/22/22 10:08 PM

I'm with most of you. Two hours is about it for me as well. To beat up and wore out to go much further. If I do, I am spending a night!
Posted By: David Burton

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/22/22 10:17 PM

2-3 hours one-way. Preferra ly less, but I did round trip it to Tyler for the RHBC 2-day because it was cold and it rained heavily on Friday, so no pre-fish. I also rond-tripped from McKinney to Caddo Lake and Lake o' The Pines once.i'm getting less happy with the long drives, tho!
Posted By: savntay

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/22/22 10:18 PM

Ditto, two hours is usually my max but I have driven three hours to Toledo Bend for a day tournament.
Posted By: T21x

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/22/22 10:24 PM

I'm in same boat as fishnfireman. 3 hours is as far as I have gone for one day trip. But those days are gone. Like he said its two hrs to the most productive lake in our region in the panhandle.
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/22/22 10:26 PM

today , it's about 1.5hours , but in the past it was 3 hours each way ------until one day . I had left at 4:00am , drove 3 hours , fished all day by myself , really pushed myself to catch em .
Started driving back home approx 7:30Pm -- hadn't eaten all day . Decided to grab a burger , fries and a shake for the drive home ---HUGE MISTAKE . That food sat like a rock in my stomach and about 2 into the drive home -- I feel asleep while driving . Those dots on the side of the highway saved my life as they bumped enough to wake me up --- scared the krap outa me . lesson learned
Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/22/22 10:40 PM

80 - 100 miles round trip
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/22/22 10:42 PM

I’m part of the 1-1/2 to 2 hour one-way club. More than that and it’s a hotel or something. I used to drive from Waco to Lubbock for a piece of trim in college, then back home in the same night. I Ain’t that young or determined at 54.
Posted By: R83steve

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/22/22 10:49 PM

I’m usually limited to 2 hours one way now. When I was younger, I’ve been known to drive 3 1/2 hours to surf fish at Grand Isle. Even then, we kept the catch on ice until we got up the next day.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/22/22 11:58 PM

So far an hour or less. I fish Fork, the tri-lakes area , and Holbrook. Live @ Cooper but rarely ever fish it and right now it is so shallow it would be dangerous to get on it with a bass boat.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/23/22 12:10 AM

3-4 hours
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/23/22 12:14 AM

A couple hrs is about it for me and I rarely do that anymore.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/23/22 12:42 AM

30 minutes.....Fork and Tawakoni are less than 15 from my house.....I will go to my home lake quite a bit in the spring and summer and that's 25 miles
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/23/22 01:08 AM

I normally fish either Grapevine which is less than 10 minutes from my house sometimes Lewisville which is maybe 15 minutes from my house. Yes I am very lazy lol.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/23/22 01:19 AM

3 hours each way is my max
Posted By: hopalong

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/23/22 01:21 AM

right now about 5 min. to mustang resort, normal fork level is about 2 mins.

most of the lakes I want to fish besides fork are an overnight trip.
Posted By: cajuncountryman

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/23/22 02:28 PM

1.5 to 2 hour drive is about all I can handle & still function fishing & loading to head home. Of course i'm over 70............................. oh well.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/23/22 02:44 PM

3 hours is my max for a day trip. Really anything over 2-2.5 im looking to get a room and make it a 2 day trip.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/23/22 03:24 PM

Looking at these distances that makes me miss my home waters in Louisiana, 30 minutes was a long drive to get somewhere and the cool part about being there is if you put in to any river system you could pretty much go anywhere you wanted by water with the exception of having dams in the way, and you can lock through some of them.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/23/22 03:33 PM

I'm with the masses here...2 hours is about as far as I like to drive.
Posted By: Champion1

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/23/22 06:03 PM

used to drive 2hrs 20mins to Monticello and that was about my max.
Posted By: RPD

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/23/22 06:22 PM

2 hours
Posted By: John175☮

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/23/22 06:33 PM

2-3 hours for me. I do love to fish Texoma and that's a little over a 2 hour drive.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/23/22 11:03 PM

Probably 3 hours one way. Farther than that calls for an overnight stay.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/24/22 12:11 AM

You guys have it made. I gotta drive 3hrs from south Houston to get to Rayburn for a day trip, and then 3hrs back.

And here y'all are, complaining about a little one hour drive roflmao
Posted By: 361V

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/24/22 01:18 AM

I used to drive from Glen Rose to Lake Monticello semi regular on weekdays in the middle of the winter. Leave around 3am to throw swimbaits up in the shallow upper pads all day and haul home @ dark. Over 3 hours and a little under 200 miles each way. Prolly just as good it closed. I’m getting to old for that……..
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/24/22 02:14 AM

an hour is it for me now
Posted By: HookaToad

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/24/22 04:00 AM

Depends on if I have to drive back at the end of the day...otherwise 3.5 hours to Rayburn ...
Posted By: forkduc

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/26/22 04:28 PM

30-45 minutes each way!
Posted By: Razorback

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/29/22 03:38 PM

About two hours. I used to drive from my house to Cooper on a regular basis. I drove right over Fork to get there. I've also done Rayburn and back in one day.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 11/30/22 12:05 PM

1.5 hours for me.
Posted By: Pake South

Re: The longest you drive for a day’s fishing? - 12/01/22 04:34 PM

About 3 hours is the max for me. A few months ago I drove up to Texoma, which is about a 2hr 45min drive for me, fished all day then drove back. I am very fortunate to live less than an hour from several awesome lakes so I am usually not driving over an hour.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum