Texas Fishing Forum

Mega 360

Posted By: grout-scout

Mega 360 - 11/20/22 04:12 PM

I know I won’t get any info in the electronics section, so it’s better to ask in here.

How many of you guys are using it?

is it the greatest thing ever or just another tool?

If you have one, would you ever be without one again?

Does it get snagged really badly in hydrilla?

What’s the deepest water that it works in?

Thank you
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Mega 360 - 11/20/22 04:38 PM

It's an additional pole in the water that will snag weeds just as much as the trolling motor and outboard will.
It's a rotating Side Imaging transducer so it does either 360 or Side Imaging.

It's one of the best fishing tools available. That is why Lowrance has attempted to copy it a couple of times (Ghost 360 and Spotlight Scan).
Paired with FFS is a great combo:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KnotTexan

Re: Mega 360 - 11/20/22 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
I know I won’t get any info in the electronics section, so it’s better to ask in here.

Thank you

For you, dynamite is probably the best tool? peep yes cheers
Posted By: F4 Gator

Re: Mega 360 - 11/20/22 05:58 PM

It's another tool. Works great showing the surrounding water structure in a 360° view.

I use side scan to identify structure, then Mega360 to check it out. It shows lay downs as well as standing timber. I'll then use live sonar to specifically check out each identified piece of structure. Works with my Ultrex & Helix using the go to function.

Works best, in my opinion in 20 ft of water or less.

Agree it gets snagged in hydrilla just like the trolling motor, live sonar pole and engine.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Mega 360 - 11/20/22 06:09 PM

Great tool for shallower fishermen. Love it when looking for bottom composition changes and rock piles or trees. During the bluegill spawn it is deadly at finding them. Like the other tools, when it's understood, it's amazing!
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Mega 360 - 11/20/22 06:09 PM

I have a Mega 360, no FFS. So far I have found it to be great. I have followed schools of fish on a roadbed while chunking c-rigs at them. Had a school show up on some timber where they were chasing bait, caught a keeper out of them on a trap. Overall I like it. Not sure if I will ever go live.

As to depth, I have fished a little deeper then 20 feet when dragging. The true advantage of 360 is following a grass line and looking for hard spots in it. Miles Burghoff, aka Sonar Fishing did a good video on that. I agree, I am an old bank beater!
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Mega 360 - 11/20/22 06:34 PM

The spec Depth and Range is 150'. I have only used it in the 60' range for stuff, not fishing.

Down Imaging view:
[Linked Image]

360 view:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Mega 360 - 11/20/22 06:53 PM

It's another tool.
Will make you say ugly words when punching hydrilla at Amistad.
I had one and opted to go with the target lock as having both is just too much hanging off the front for me. I still have SI that I can use to find most anything that 360 can.
With all that said I took off the target lock when Amistad came up and all my fishing has been in the flooded regrowth.
Will put it back on when they move back out, it's much better than the 360 for me when they move out to the hard edges.
Posted By: Black Dallas

Re: Mega 360 - 11/21/22 12:51 AM

had the 360 since around march. when fishing a rocky lake its tough to discern differences between rock and wood and other objects. my home lake is not rocky so it fairs better there. going down a bank at a decent clip i find it pretty useless. you really need to slow down unless you get lucky and it scans right when you pass something. now offhsore fishing? game changer.. you pull up to a point, brushpile, ledge, whatever, and you spotlock and know exactly what youre throwing at and orientation to your boat. i think its priceless for that application. hope this helps
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Mega 360 - 11/21/22 01:04 AM

If you are fishing a lot of grass and rock it's a challenge

But it's a great tool in the right conditions
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Mega 360 - 11/21/22 02:36 AM

splat maybe I just need to go back to Garmin and the 34 then. bang I’ve been using an AT and this narrow cone is killing me when trying to stay on a target.

The Lowrance 360 works decent, but not so decent when the winds blowing too hard (which is always)
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Mega 360 - 11/21/22 12:32 PM

It’s great , there are mounts available that allow for quick removal if needed
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Mega 360 - 11/21/22 02:07 PM

It's a great tool both shallow and deep. How deep? Not really sure. I rarely fish deeper than 30ft and it works fine out that deep. Reality is, if you pay attention, you will find structure that most people miss. To me livescope and 360 are two completely different tools. 360 is way better at at identifying cover and finding the sweet spots. Livescope is obviously way better at looking at the actual fish. To me 360 shines around hard cover like rip rap, submerged roads and bridges, rock piles, etc.

The downside of 360 for me is that I have had literal hell getting rid of the interference on my unit. It still has more than I would like it to have when on spot lock. Know lots of people with 360's that really never completely eliminate this issue. Not sure why Humminbird products have some many more interference issues than any other brand. The garmin units on my boat are all clear as a bell, but I still get some interference on my humminbird unit when using 360.
Posted By: prosise

Re: Mega 360 - 11/21/22 02:14 PM

I use it, and the waypoints I have marked will show up on the 360 so I can make the casts count. It's an amazing tool fishing in open water. You will be surprised at what you see, I would encourage you to fish with someone who has it.

In open water you can find bait, sandbass, and all sorts of stuff. I have found 2 canoes, kayak, aluminum boat with motor (still in the lake) but will get it soon, sailboat, and all sorts of odd things.

I pulled this canoe up, and salvaged it. Also salvaged one from Lake Worth, but it was an aluminum setup and we recycled it.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: Mega 360 - 11/21/22 02:27 PM

It’s a great tool for all aspects of fishing, both deep and shallow. For me, it better suits me than FFS.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Mega 360 - 11/21/22 04:29 PM

This last spring I put mega360 on my boat like has been said before you will see things you never knew were there, Iam not very good at picking out brush with it tough. It’s another tool to use , I’m planning to add forward facing sonar with it some day and use them together.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Mega 360 - 11/21/22 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout

Thank you

If you are worried about it getting fouled up in grass you can buy a quick release mount and take it off and stow it when not using it. Super simple. I have this mount.

https://www.bigrigbassin.com/product/360-sonar-quick-disconnect-mount
Posted By: Amistad Tackle

Re: Mega 360 - 11/21/22 07:41 PM

Combo of FFS and 360 is fantastic. I have had mega 360 for about two years. Got Mega Live last February. For finding stuff on the bottom while on the trolling motor 360 is great. For lining up casts to that cover and seeing fish around it the FFS is the best. Found a lot of stuff going down the bank I would have never known was there with the 360. Turn around and use FFS to line up a cast and catch a fish.
Posted By: b00stin4

Re: Mega 360 - 11/24/22 02:53 AM

What's the difference in garmin cone to lowrance? 2⁰?
I have the AT and mega 360
The 360 is definately better at following a school of fish or keeping an eye on structure if the boat is moving around
I have the AT on the troller so short of adding a turret or something which I'm not sure I want to do.. basically makes it tough to use in the wind (which like the OP said its always windy)
I have drug the 360 through reeds and grass without any issues so far
No complaints
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum