Texas Fishing Forum

2023 BASS Elite roster

Posted By: Mark Perry

2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/16/22 08:06 PM

https://www.bassmaster.com/elite/news/expanded-elite-series-field-will-feature-104-anglers-in-2023/
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/16/22 08:33 PM

Well I guess they didn't accept my application cheers
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/16/22 08:46 PM

So who all retired? I know Morganthaler and Tacaronte both did? Who is the other 2
Posted By: IRBF2

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/16/22 09:03 PM

Well, it wasn't Fritts.
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/16/22 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by ChanceHuiet
So who all retired? I know Morganthaler and Tacaronte both did? Who is the other 2

Jay Yelas and Daisuke Aoki appear to be the other two not on the 2023 roster.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/16/22 09:38 PM

I really feel as is Fritts should go. I also thought Gary Clouse wouldn’t qualify again, guess they want his sponsor dollars. The old, uncompetitive need to go.
Posted By: Dogfish_Jones

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/16/22 09:50 PM

I do not think they dropped anyone from the 2022 roster, just added to it.
The only anglers not fishing this upcoming year were the ones who retired.

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/16/22 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones
I do not think they dropped anyone from the 2022 roster, just added to it.
The only anglers not fishing this upcoming year were the ones who retired.

Correct.

I had forgot about Jay and Aoki. Aoki missed being home
Posted By: wanta10lbbass

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/16/22 11:21 PM

Huh....I thought the last few years they cut the bottom 8 or 10 anglers based on 3 years worth of standings to make room for the rookies that earned spots? Must not have done that this time around....I wonder why?
Posted By: TxBazzn

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/16/22 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by wanta10lbbass
Huh....I thought the last few years they cut the bottom 8 or 10 anglers based on 3 years worth of standings to make room for the rookies that earned spots? Must not have done that this time around....I wonder why?

Business decision. More anglers equals more money. Their back to pre-split numbers.
Posted By: TajChauvin

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/17/22 01:05 PM

Could we ever see the roster at 150 again?
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/17/22 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by TajChauvin
Could we ever see the roster at 150 again?

I think so , when the MLF experiment runs it’s course. Honestly would be pretty bad arse to watch guys like Ehrler in the Elites
Posted By: Classic Fiberglass

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/17/22 03:01 PM

I wonder if everyone on the list is committed. I didn't think Ike was fishing anything.
Posted By: emorydog

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/17/22 04:01 PM

So did they change things and not cut anyone? And did they then change qualification rules to re-qualify? Then did they change the field number and added spots to make more money? And didn’t they change qualifying to now you have to fish a 9 tournament trail to advance to elites? And did I hear the no info rules don’t apply at the Opens level still? And then did I hear a bunch of guys are quitting? Sounds like a MLF thread but its Bass. It’s all the same HAHA...don’t you see.

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/17/22 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by emorydog
So did they change things and not cut anyone? And did they then change qualification rules to re-qualify? Then did they change the field number and added spots to make more money? And didn’t they change qualifying to now you have to fish a 9 tournament trail to advance to elites? And did I hear the no info rules don’t apply at the Opens level still? And then did I hear a bunch of guys are quitting? Sounds like a MLF thread but its Bass. It’s all the same HAHA...don’t you see.

It's nothing like MLF. The only thing BASS did was not cut anyone due to adjusting the field size. They changed the Opdns qualification for NEXT YEAR. MLF changes half their carp DURING the year
Posted By: OkAce

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/17/22 04:28 PM

It's nothing like MLF. The only thing BASS did was not cut anyone due to adjusting the field size. They changed the Opdns qualification for NEXT YEAR. MLF changes half their carp DURING the year

The only difference is no one flips out when BASS changes things
Posted By: Neal G

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/18/22 11:31 AM

BASS probably starting at a higher number of anglers because they are expecting a higher number of dropouts during the season next year. 2024 will force a reduction with 9 coming from 2023 Opens. No more kicking the can down the road.

Or (conspiracy theory) to run the Elite field size up over next couple of years by bringing back some BPT anglers to crush MLF as marketing $s shrink with the upcoming economy issues.

Old timers sticking around that were once great is just another example that this sport is first/primarily Marketing and a distant second a competition
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/18/22 11:09 PM

Fritts isn’t competitive. Should have cut him. 92 of 94 this year. 91 of 100 in 2021. 81 of 88 in 2020. 75 of 75 in 2019. 97 of 110 in 2018.

It’s named “The Elite Series”. Nothing Elite about those numbers.

Clouse has been just about as close tot he bottom. He has one less year.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/18/22 11:27 PM

I have no problem with two spots for legends. Its not taking away a spot from anyone. I was surprised to see Fritts back. He said at the last weigh in he was done and retiring.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/19/22 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by OkAce

The only difference is no one flips out when BASS changes things

Everyone’s loves BASS . It’s the ( more little fish ) organization no ones gives a dam about
Posted By: Dubee

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/19/22 02:16 AM

It's exactly like MLF. Constantly moving the goalpost. Zero difference

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/19/22 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dubee

It's exactly like MLF. Constantly moving the goalpost. Zero difference

I agree, stuff like this is why I had quit watching BASS years ago. When the old guys always had an exemption or some loophole to never get kicked off, I didn’t like it. I don’t care what your name is, if you aren’t good enough to compete, you should get knocked down to the minors.
Posted By: LeonSulak

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/20/22 02:00 PM

I just saw Casey Scanlon is switching from “FLW/MLF” to go “back where it all started”. He also mentions that “unfortunately the league has not been the same since the MLF purchase.”

I wonder if BASS let them back in the Elites without qualifying, a bunch would jump. Problem is if they did than many people would be pissed.

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/20/22 02:33 PM

Word is MLF is calling way down the list of the Toyota series trying to get anglers for the Invitationals. Seems the anglers are not keen on the lower payouts and no championship. Shame how they have run the old FLW into the ground.

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/20/22 02:46 PM

Beartrap says “fake news”, the BPT/MLF is the greatest thing to ever happen in the industry.

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/20/22 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by LeonSulak
I just saw Casey Scanlon is switching from “FLW/MLF” to go “back where it all started”. He also mentions that “unfortunately the league has not been the same since the MLF purchase.”

I wonder if BASS let them back in the Elites without qualifying, a bunch would jump. Problem is if they did than many people would be pissed.

I don’t see BASS ever allowing anyone back without qualifying beyond the two legend exemptions.. It would not sit well with those who stayed and carried BASS thru or to the others currently on the BASS roster. BASS wasn’t thrilled with them leaving either. Also,some dumped on the BASS 5 fish weigh ins over weigh in the boat. The way some handled the whole thing BASS doesn’t care if they ever come back.BASS doesn’t need them to be at the top of the sport. It will be interesting to see who tries to qualify back and who makes it. Also what the max number BASS sets the Elites at.

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/20/22 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
Beartrap says “fake news”, the BPT/MLF is the greatest thing to ever happen in the industry.

Beartrap may be disappointed. Gerald Spohrer was on a podcast last week speaking of all the MLF/BPat changes and ge was pretty blunt. He seems to be a straight shooter. He had a lot of good info on the how, why and such of the changes. One thing he pointed out after speaking with MLF management and Duckett is how TV is a dying platform and how the money was in the live coverage. That contradicts Beartrap's mantra of MLF has 9753hrs of TV time over 37 channels 8 days a week. He was also pretty blunt about MLF expecting to lose money for the first 6-10 years of the BPT. He mentioned that all of the promised additional money for the anglers through the increased TV coverage has not really be seen by the anglers. They all were expecting increased sponsor moneyetc but it's been flat.

https://youtu.be/2gDDTwryP60

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/20/22 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

Beartrap may be disappointed. Gerald Spohrer was on a podcast last week speaking of all the MLF/BPat changes and ge was pretty blunt. He seems to be a straight shooter. He had a lot of good info on the how, why and such of the changes. Onething he pointed out after speaking with MLF management and Duckett is how TV is a dying platform and how the money was in the live coverage. That contradicts Beartrap's mantra of MLF has 9753hrs of TV time over 37 channels 8 days a week. He was also pretty blunt about MLF expecting to lose money for the first 6-10 years of the BPT.

Numbers of viewers watching and sponsorship dollars as a result is the most important metric. They aren’t running a charitable organization. The number or people interested in tournament fishing across the US is a relatively small number.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/20/22 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B
I have no problem with two spots for legends. Its not taking away a spot from anyone. I was surprised to see Fritts back. He said at the last weigh in he was done and retiring.

I know, he said his health was not good. WTF is he doing back on the Elite series, he's just taking up a spot. I really don't know how he was invited back, you can only use an exemption for every Legend point you have, a Classic win on AOY constitues a point, he had 2. With that many bad AOY finishes he has to have used up those to points by now.

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/20/22 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by SC-001
Originally Posted by Chris B

I know, he said his health was not good. WTF is he doing back on the Elite series, he's just taking up a spot. I really don't know how he was invited back, you can only use an exemption for every Legend point you have, a Classic win on AOY constitues a point, he had 2. With that many bad AOY finishes he has to have used up those to points by now.

The only two others I saw that qualify are Woo Daves and Dion Hibdon. Probably no one else wanted it that was qualified.
Posted By: TxBazzn

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/20/22 08:11 PM

I like the sentiment around the Legends anglers but not the reality of it. They haven’t competed well and you generally don’t know who they are if you’re under 35. They are supposed to be a draw at the events but the only people talking to them are old guys. Cool for us but these leagues survive based on the next generations.

Maybe make the spots sponsor exemptions each event. Pick legends based on the lake and region so they can compete and are known. Remove them from points consideration but let them fish for the check. Same rules apply so off limits and no info still in effect.

Otherwise, just drop them all together or sponsor them to fish & work the Opens.
Posted By: wanta10lbbass

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/21/22 12:46 AM

So do they get 1 year entry into the Elites per AOY and/or Classic win they've had in the past? Or is it a lifetime invite if an angler has accomplished one of those two things?

I like the idea of it, but eventually BASS may have to make some adjustments. In theory, about 20-30 MLF guys could come back to BASS whenever they wan with the legend clause.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/21/22 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by wanta10lbbass
So do they get 1 year entry into the Elites per AOY and/or Classic win they've had in the past? Or is it a lifetime invite if an angler has accomplished one of those two things?

Thats what I thought the rule was but obviously not since Fritts has been stinking it up for 4+ years since he came back. Now if they can finish high enough in AOY they don't need to use a legend point. He had a great career but a big part people are going to remember is how terrible he was towards the end of it.

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/21/22 02:43 AM

Beartrap may be disappointed. Gerald Spohrer was on a podcast last week speaking of all the MLF/BPat changes and ge was pretty blunt. He seems to be a straight shooter. He had a lot of good info on the how, why and such of the changes. One thing he pointed out after speaking with MLF management and Duckett is how TV is a dying platform and how the money was in the live coverage. That contradicts Beartrap's mantra of MLF has 9753hrs of TV time over 37 channels 8 days a week. He was also pretty blunt about MLF expecting to lose money for the first 6-10 years of the BPT. He mentioned that all of the promised additional money for the anglers through the increased TV coverage has not really be seen by the anglers. They all were expecting increased sponsor moneyetc but it's been flat.

It was a nice truth telling conversation, refreshing to listen too.The thing that surprises me is when he said that they had to have a 6 day competition to benefit financially. I would have thought 4 days max would be their profit zone.

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/21/22 02:46 AM

It was a nice truth telling conversation, refreshing to listen too.The thing that surprises me is when he said that they had to have a 6 day competition to benefit financially. I would have thought 4 days max would be their profit zone.

Spohrer was very open about it all. Much respect to him for that. I thought it was interesting to hear him say that MLF/BPT was humbled a bit.

I hope they get it on track. I think two leagues are needed. It keeps each of them striving to be better.
Posted By: Basscat1975

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/22/22 12:07 AM

There going baby Clouse.. To much money changes hands
Posted By: Basscat1975

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/22/22 12:11 AM

I would say your right they well keep Clouse around just cause they think he is something he isnt
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/22/22 09:56 PM

They don't just keep people 'around'

You don't lose legend points, they give you the exemption based on how many you have, they more points you have the better the chance for the invite, then it goes to the next on the list. Clunn, qualified through AOY points. Fritts is on Legend, Nixon is next on Legend. If KVD wanted the legend exemption, for example, he would be ahead of Fritts because he has more points, but he would have to fish a BASS event.

In BASS the anglers all voted to increase the field size this year so no one is cut. My guess is they settle it at 100 for the 2024 season with only 9 new invites coming from the opens.

They didn't move the line so people didn't get cut, it is the same but different.

BPT will be fine, I am interested in how their game changes with best 5. As for their 'feeder system', it seems some of the bigger FLW names that were, will be in the opens this year.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/23/22 04:45 AM

I think Nixon will surprise folks. He’s the saltiest of all the old guys. I bet he’s competitive & hangs around that Classic cut line.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/23/22 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Monty Wright
I think Nixon will surprise folks. He’s the saltiest of all the old guys. I bet he’s competitive & hangs around that Classic cut line.

Man I hope you are right . Just to shut the mo -rons up that says the olds can’t compete!

Re: 2023 BASS Elite roster - 11/24/22 04:15 PM

I have rode with a number of the long term guys. From that it seems to me that those that haven’t done good in a while aren’t adapting. Not that they all have to be Livescope but they seem to be doing mostly what worked 20 years ago. Got to make some changes along the way. For technique, spots, patterns, tackle, electronics some of the old stuff works good enough to be competitive. Some doesn’t.

The older you get the more difficult it is to keep the intensity up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum