Texas Fishing Forum

Winter Fishing Clothes

Posted By: wabash2015

Winter Fishing Clothes - 11/16/22 05:56 PM

What jacket do ya'll wear in the winter time? I'm looking for something that is rain resistant and will break the wind when out on the lake, but I don't want to drop $500 on something fancy.

Is that Guidewear stuff at Bass Pro any good? I keep getting ads for it.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Winter Fishing Clothes - 11/16/22 06:04 PM

I've got the original Guidewear from Cabelas before they got bought by BPS and the stuff I have is great. Not sure if what they're selling now is the same or not?
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Winter Fishing Clothes - 11/16/22 06:22 PM

Yes it is
Buy it and you will wonder why you waited so long

Get it slightly oversized so you can bundle under it
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Winter Fishing Clothes - 11/16/22 06:36 PM

That’s what I did
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Winter Fishing Clothes - 11/16/22 07:14 PM

I use my Academy H2O rain set as the top layer, an Aftco Reaper Softshell jacket as my mid layer, a HUK primaloft vest as the next layer, and my base layer is from Academy. This suits me well down to around 35*. If it gets cooler than that, I'm usually in the house watching fishing or working in the garage on fishing.
Posted By: GODSDOZER

Re: Winter Fishing Clothes - 11/16/22 07:19 PM

Best suit I have worn is this:

https://www.idigear.com/arctic-armor-pro-suit

They are as light as a windbreaker and warm as you will ever need.
Posted By: 572Fitter

Re: Winter Fishing Clothes - 11/16/22 08:29 PM

Always black Gortex bibs and a black hoodie for starters.Most importantly is having a back up in the boat for a wirse case scenario
Posted By: 572Fitter

Re: Winter Fishing Clothes - 11/16/22 08:37 PM

Always black Gortex bibs and a black hoodie for starters.Most importantly is having a back up in the boat for a wirse case scenario
Posted By: wabash2015

Re: Winter Fishing Clothes - 11/16/22 08:56 PM

I've got the H20 bibs from Academy, they work great. I'll check out the Gortex jacket too.
Posted By: Barn

Re: Winter Fishing Clothes - 11/16/22 08:59 PM

For everyday cold not raining. I really like ski bibs. They are warm and repel some water.

https://www.academy.com/p/magellan-outdoors-mens-ski-bib-114434501

Pair it with a puffer jacket and you will be warm all day.

https://www.academy.com/p/magellan-outdoors-mens-lost-pines-puffer-ski-jacket

They are 25% off at Academy now.
Posted By: Rockfisherman

Re: Winter Fishing Clothes - 11/16/22 10:14 PM

PSA:
Best clothes for winter fishing are the extra ones you bring under your seat............after you drag your wet cold self out of the water............
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Winter Fishing Clothes - 11/16/22 10:27 PM

You get what you pay for, spend a little extra and you'll get quality.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Winter Fishing Clothes - 11/16/22 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
You get what you pay for, spend a little extra and you'll get quality.

Hard lesson learned... 20+ years ago my brother bought a GoreTex jacket for duck hunting. - I chortled and shook my head. I was certain that my $100 dollar jacket would work as good as his $300 jacket. Opening day of duck season was cold and it rained all morning, he was dry and warm - I was soaked and shivering.... I went that week and bought myself a $300 jacket.
10 years later, it was stil dry and warm..... it has now faded and in big rains, leaks around the shoulder seams but it is still makes a fine back-up jacket on days when it isn't raining for a guest.
After that, I never question cost of quality gear.
Posted By: wanta10lbbass

Re: Winter Fishing Clothes - 11/16/22 11:27 PM

Well.....mine is a Clam Icearmor Float Bibbs and Jacket! But I'm in MN and am sitting on 1-2' of ice for winter fishing. hahaha.

I like ice fishing, but jealous of ya'll as well as we just got 6" of snow yesterday and the lakes are starting to freeze over.
Posted By: Donegonefishin

Re: Winter Fishing Clothes - 11/16/22 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
I've got the original Guidewear from Cabelas before they got bought by BPS and the stuff I have is great. Not sure if what they're selling now is the same or not?

I have the same gear for about 8 years now. Still work as well as the day I bought them.
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Winter Fishing Clothes - 11/17/22 02:43 AM

Ive got the original guidewear. and it works great, had it for about 6 years now. Highly recommend.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Winter Fishing Clothes - 11/17/22 04:19 PM

I've been checking out the Tidewe waterproof heated jackets..

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum