Texas Fishing Forum

Small Lakes Around Fork?

Posted By: wanta10lbbass

Small Lakes Around Fork? - 11/13/22 01:56 PM

Hi all,
New here. I'm going to be visiting Fork for a few weeks next spring (late March/early April), I was down there for a week this past spring and loved Fork and caught some tanks. Since I'm coming from Minnesota I decided to add a week on to our trip for this next spring.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had good suggestions on smaller lakes in the area (within an hour or so) of Fork I could explore if there was a day or two I wanted to change it up? I fished Welsh last year and it was decent. Sounds like Lake Quitman and Gilmer are decent for big fish?

I'd rather have a chance at catching a 9-10lber and catch 2 fish all day.....vs. a bunch of 2-3lbers. Not asking anyone for their secret ponds....but if anyone has any suggestions on smaller lakes that provide a better chance than others for a big fish that'd be awesome.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Small Lakes Around Fork? - 11/13/22 02:03 PM

If I were hunting big fish, I'd stick to Fork. I've fished most of the smaller lakes in Wood County, and they are great. But Fork = big fish.

Welcome to THF
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Small Lakes Around Fork? - 11/14/22 03:05 AM

Monticello would be great. Unfortunately, it's closed.

Caddo is an experience worth taking even if the chance at a 9-10 isn't there. It is 90 minutes from Lake Fork!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Small Lakes Around Fork? - 11/14/22 12:46 PM

Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you are on the right track. Impressive for your first post.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Small Lakes Around Fork? - 11/14/22 01:09 PM

Holbrook, Quitman, Winnsboro, Bob Sandlin, Cypress Springs, Welsh, Caddo, Palestine, and Lake O' the Pines. I've fished most of them and they all have big fish potential but nothing like Fork. If you want to catch some fish and see some beautiful cypress back drop and wildlife Caddo for sure. All of these lakes have stumps, some a lot more than others. Be aware. Welcome to the forum!
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Small Lakes Around Fork? - 11/14/22 01:19 PM

I am with ogles, stick to fork and maybe try a couple of new tactics.

if you are here in march and nail a bigun you can join share a lunker, 13+ and hit the legacy class with some nice rewards for the effort.

none of the local to fork lakes will give you as much opportunity to get R done.

if you haven't booked yet, check with scott at fishermans cove, number below.

I have been fishing fork since 2012 and moved there in 13, still have not boated an over. have been within a 1/8" a bunch but just never quite broke that magic number.
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Small Lakes Around Fork? - 11/14/22 01:55 PM

Plenty of lakes in the area for a change of pace but if you want to chase big bass then Ivie, Fork and Rayburn (none of which are particularly close to each other) are your best Texas bets. Maybe next spring will bring us something new but it hasn't risen yet. Good luck on your trip and enjoy.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Small Lakes Around Fork? - 11/14/22 02:04 PM

if you just want a good chance at a DD, sardis and mcgee creek in Okie land should be hot march/april, that is prime spawn time there and on your way down.

mcgee creek is like a mini fork and sardis has a great rep. also arbuckle is close to mcgee creek and I have fished 2 tournaments that it took almost 34# to win, big fish were over 12 in both.

maybe some options if fork is still way down, spend a couple of days there on the way to fork.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Small Lakes Around Fork? - 11/14/22 02:44 PM

Palestine or Lake O' the Pines are your best shots for a "big one" besides Fork
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Small Lakes Around Fork? - 11/14/22 03:04 PM

Holbrook
Sandlin
Cypress Springs
Winnsboro

Re: Small Lakes Around Fork? - 11/14/22 03:15 PM

Awesome responses. Thanks all! Honestly, that's what I was thinking this spring when I was fishing Welsh. "This is fun, and I'm catching a bunch of nice fish, but I should be on Fork right now" Haha.

I did fish Sandlin for a a few hours as well, fishes more like a lake up here with the clear water (at least when I was there). Caught a couple nice ones as they were bedding...seemed like a decent lake. I'll have to do some research on some of these....sometimes after a week or so I just like to look at different structure and water.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Small Lakes Around Fork? - 11/14/22 03:50 PM

Don't forget Naconiche, Murvaul, Palestine, and Fairfield.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Small Lakes Around Fork? - 11/14/22 03:52 PM

Rayburn and Toledo if you don't mind a couple hour drive
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Small Lakes Around Fork? - 11/15/22 03:27 AM

My favorites are Winnsboro and Holbrook but chances of catching a 10 out of either would be slim at best. Might try Athens, never been there but have heard good things about it.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Small Lakes Around Fork? - 11/15/22 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by ko bass attack 27
My favorites are Winnsboro and Holbrook but chances of catching a 10 out of either would be slim at best. Might try Athens, never been there but have heard good things about it.

If Fork is anything like it was during the spawn last year, you'll need to hit Athens to sight fish anything of any size! Keep this one in your back pocket.
Posted By: Slicefixer

Re: Small Lakes Around Fork? - 11/15/22 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
Palestine or Lake O' the Pines are your best shots for a "big one" besides Fork

/\/\/\100%/\/\/\....be VERY careful on Palestine.....and you must fish Caddo for the experience....nothing like it in in our region of the country IMOP.
Posted By: BigLeslie

Re: Small Lakes Around Fork? - 11/15/22 08:37 PM

Fork at night is your best bet for a monster, and not just in Summer.

Re: Small Lakes Around Fork? - 11/16/22 12:44 AM

From my very limited experience on Fork last year it didn't seem like being out early was necessary. Seemed to be a little activity early AM (provided I was around any fish! ha....), and then the mid-late afternoon was better again. Most my "bigger" bites came in the afternoon. I also stayed out of the coves for the most part as it was kind of bumper boats in most of them when I was there, so that may have had something to do with timing of my better bites too?? I don't mind sight fishing, but I rather try to catch em other ways if its an option.

Multiple people of said Caddo is really unique....looks like about a 2 hour drive, but I might have to research it some and try it for at least a day.
Posted By: BCB

Re: Small Lakes Around Fork? - 11/16/22 01:45 AM

Lakes of Tyler can be good.
Posted By: Pake South

Re: Small Lakes Around Fork? - 11/17/22 12:45 AM

Bob Sandlin or Lake Gilmer would be your best bet for a big one! My 12.80lb personal best came out of Bob Sandlin!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum