Texas Fishing Forum

Spinnerbaits

Posted By: LeonSulak

Spinnerbaits - 10/30/22 05:48 PM

What’s your go to brand?

Do you throw them in the spring? If so, when do you start?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/30/22 05:52 PM

I throw them year round. I mostly use the Megabass SV-3. More times than not I use the white python color.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/search-tackle.html?start=0&count=30&searchtext=Sv-3
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/30/22 06:11 PM

The $2.99 - $3.99 spinnerbaits off the shelf at Academy will catch them as good as any other spinnerbait when they are shallow.
Posted By: Bassjiggin1955

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/30/22 06:37 PM

I like building my own I throw them starting in march to Oct [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BWG

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/30/22 06:42 PM

What Mark Perry said. Special baits and tough as nails.
Posted By: whnigt

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/30/22 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bassjiggin1955
I like building my own I throw them starting in march to Oct [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Do you sell them?

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/30/22 08:47 PM

Sorry no I'm retired from manufacturing and selling now 44 years was enough
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/31/22 02:38 AM

I’ve had really good luck w the custom spinner baits I bought from Don Harper.
Posted By: prosise

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/31/22 03:16 AM

Terminator spinnerbaits... My go-to
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/31/22 04:09 AM

I throw two brands ---Strike King , several versions but primarily the Premier Plus , 1/2 oz in either double willow or willow /colorado . My biggest complaint with these are after 20+ bass of a decent size , the arm breaks right where the lines ties after adjusting back to shape .
The other brand I like a lot --- War Eagle , they have some really good combo's that get bite a lot and they make some heavier models in a smaller profile .
I throw spinnerbaits year round if the water is stained , only late spring through fall if water is clear .
My best day ever came on a white 1/2oz strike king , 4 hours of fishing , over 35 bass with my best five approx 36 lbs without a DD --- I didn't get a single fish under 3lbs
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/31/22 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by prosise
Terminator spinnerbaits... My go-to

I wish they still made the T-1 model! The new ones are just not the same to me.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/31/22 11:59 AM

Am I the only one that has a constant problem of Spinnerbaits running sideways?? I don't know if I'm reeling them too fast or what but I swear every spinnerbait I throw will end up running with the blade and body both running horizontally instead of vertically.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/31/22 12:24 PM

There are more applications to building a spinnerbait than you can imagine. Running true and in the water table you wish to fish is just the beginning. The weather conditions is also a huge determining factor in your success with the right combinations of blades, living rubber skirts, trailors and sizes. You can see some of my best on my website in my signature.
Posted By: SkeeterHawk

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/31/22 12:59 PM

War Eagle
Posted By: slim1

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/31/22 01:09 PM

I caught my PB a 9.2 lb'er on a $1 spinner bait from Walmart. To me it's all in presentation.
Posted By: cajuncountryman

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/31/22 01:50 PM

Oldham or Falcon. Oldham most durable I''ve fished for years.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/31/22 01:58 PM

Timmy Poe's Thunder Baits... Made locally in the Cincinnati area but work everywhere... I throw them year round also... Dan
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/31/22 02:19 PM

I have tried many brands...but so far the ones I get bit on most are:

Red Dirt (Titanium wire)
ACT (Piano wire)

Something about that flexible thump they produce.
Posted By: mossyback75

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/31/22 04:05 PM

The Megabass SV3 IMHO is the best spinnerbait on the market. Expensive but worth it.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/31/22 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by slim1
I caught my PB a 9.2 lb'er on a $1 spinner bait from Walmart. To me it's all in presentation.

Agree wholeheartedly , it's certainly not rocket science , throw what you like and what you have confidence in.
Posted By: Dwhite206

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/31/22 04:40 PM

Nichols
Booyah covert series (just wish they came with a bigger hook)
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/31/22 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fishinfellow
Am I the only one that has a constant problem of Spinnerbaits running sideways?? I don't know if I'm reeling them too fast or what but I swear every spinnerbait I throw will end up running with the blade and body both running horizontally instead of vertically.

this is a combination of two issues ,
1) --- body weight VS blade size --- if the body is too light and blades are large --- it will want to roll on you . Try going to a heavier model with smaller blades . Also , you can add a larger trailer will help
2) --- reeling it in too fast will also add to this issue
Posted By: Jonah's View

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/31/22 05:19 PM

Picasso... 25 years ago a store was closing them out at a $1.85 each, bought every one they had, still have like 9 new in their packaging left...will be sad when they are gone...I also have a bunch of old Stanley Viberashaft baits...as far as new baits mostly Boo-Yah’s, some Nicholes...
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/31/22 07:30 PM

I throw them year round but mostly in fall and early spring. Go to brand is War Eagle but they have no bait keepers for trailers. I am experimenting on adding my own to them

In the early spring, I like to use a low ratio reel and let it bounce along the bottom.
I'm the fall it's a mixture of that to burning it below the surface where it leaves a wake and anything in between.
Posted By: thrashfish

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/31/22 09:22 PM

I used to use the Hildebrandt's, but can't find them anymore.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/31/22 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fishinfellow

As mentioned by someone else the rear blade (or the blade, if a single bladed bait) is not big enough. Not creating enough lift. Or the body is too light allowing it to spin since the lift is to great for the body (think keel) weight. Reeling it faster is not helping you.

This would be odd with an off the shelf bait though. You are not tying a loop knot or using a snap swivel or anything odd like that?

I like War Eagles a lot. My buddy made some custom skirts that work really well on them. Not as durable as I would like but they flat catch more fish than others I have tried and I love me some spinnerbait fishing. Tried them all.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Spinnerbaits - 10/31/22 09:42 PM

I really couldnt tell you what brands, got about 30, some are custom built and some are name brand. Most of them have nothing left on them they came with originally. I have blades of various sizes, colors, and textures. I usually build something for the situation or just pick something chartreuse and white and just roll with it. Twin tail trailer if Im in dirty water or single grub for anything else.
Posted By: T-Slab

Re: Spinnerbaits - 11/01/22 12:47 AM

I used to use the Manns. Can’t find them anymore.

Re: Spinnerbaits - 11/01/22 01:13 AM

I think hank parker classic spinnerbaits are still sold at tackle warehouse they have some different models in blade combos they have the classic deep cup Colorado/Indiana blade still.
Posted By: goodman_fishing

Re: Spinnerbaits - 11/01/22 02:05 AM

Strike King tour grade does it for me.

Good skirt, good hook, easy to find [academy] and a nice wobble to it. Double-willow, 3/8oz, spot remover.

6-1/2 pounder caught on one --> https://youtu.be/8HeDjduZo3M?t=56
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Spinnerbaits - 11/01/22 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by T-Slab
I used to use the Manns. Can’t find them anymore.

Go to their website. I ordered 10 from them last year... Dan

https://www.mannsbait.com/shop/hex:7365617263683f6b6579776f72643d636c6173736963207370696e6e657262616974
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Spinnerbaits - 11/01/22 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tiltman
Originally Posted by slim1

Agree wholeheartedly , it's certainly not rocket science , throw what you like and what you have confidence in.

thumb

Re: Spinnerbaits - 11/01/22 05:01 PM

Building them works for me every lure or bait I build I have confidence in throwing
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum