Texas Fishing Forum

Rayburn Notes

Posted By: Bryan O'

Rayburn Notes - 09/28/22 02:40 PM

Was on the lake for the last few days. A few notes to hopefully help the folks headed that way.
- The newer big ramp at Castle Boykins is getting real tough to launch by yourself. Your trailer seems to get shallower as you back down. When the boat finally floats the water's edge is almost at your door. You get to do the Spiderman Ninja move of running board to tire to bed to bumper to trailer just to get in your boat. With all the crapola on the front of our boats that also an adventure. The two lanes towards the right as you look at the lake are just a little deeper. Didn't try the end of the road ramp, but it may be better.
- If you're planning on running the cut-through behind Bird Island, you better darn well know the little ditch that winds through there. You get out of it, and you may end up walking. And if your doing it, don't let up. The ditch turns back and forth. Follow me and you'll think I'm practicing for a F1 race.
- The cut through between the Amber and Black forest is a much better way to go from one side of the lake to the other.
- if you've never seen the Back Forest you can see more of it now than in a long while. Point is, steer clear, it's still there.
- Same thing going into the Canyons - the flat going in is now about 2' deep, and getting thinner! Better to go out towards the main lake before going into the Canyons. For all of us that have been running through the Canyons, it's rather eye opening also. The tram crossing through is also only about 2' deep.

Had to leave just as the cool weather hit. Should make the bite better. Good luck, hope this helps.
Posted By: Marion Morrison

Re: Rayburn Notes - 09/28/22 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan O'
Was on the lake for the last few days. A few notes to hopefully help the folks headed that way.
- The newer big ramp at Castle Boykins is getting real tough to launch by yourself. Your trailer seems to get shallower as you back down. When the boat finally floats the water's edge is almost at your door. You get to do the Spiderman Ninja move of running board to tire to bed to bumper to trailer just to get in your boat. With all the crapola on the front of our boats that also an adventure. The two lanes towards the right as you look at the lake are just a little deeper. Didn't try the end of the road ramp, but it may be better.
- If you're planning on running the cut-through behind Bird Island, you better darn well know the little ditch that winds through there. You get out of it, and you may end up walking. And if your doing it, don't let up. The ditch turns back and forth. Follow me and you'll think I'm practicing for a F1 race.
- The cut through between the Amber and Black forest is a much better way to go from one side of the lake to the other.
- if you've never seen the Back Forest you can see more of it now than in a long while. Point is, steer clear, it's still there.
- Same thing going into the Canyons - the flat going in is now about 2' deep, and getting thinner! Better to go out towards the main lake before going into the Canyons. For all of us that have been running through the Canyons, it's rather eye opening also. The tram crossing through is also only about 2' deep.

Had to leave just as the cool weather hit. Should make the bite better. Good luck, hope this helps.

Seriously? All this and no fishing report? You retire and all we get is a word salad google maps summary?
Posted By: Marion Morrison

Re: Rayburn Notes - 09/28/22 03:50 PM

Just an FYI. I worked with you and your team for years and now reside in New Braunfels. That should jog a memory or two and I am just giving you a hard time......
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Rayburn Notes - 09/28/22 04:39 PM

Headed up next week for Sealy. Appreciate the info. Every few years or so, it's good to see the ol black forest pop it's head outta water. For some of our younger folk, I am sure it is an eye opener!!
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Rayburn Notes - 09/28/22 09:38 PM

Which of the Boykin ramps is the "newer" one? One by the pavilion that is steep as hell, or the one down the road?

I always put in at the one by the pavillion and never had any issues
Posted By: coachmas

Re: Rayburn Notes - 09/28/22 11:17 PM

^^ steep one I believe.
Posted By: Bryan O'

Re: Rayburn Notes - 09/28/22 11:52 PM

The new one is the one by the pavilion. It's a little steep on the approach, but at this lake level, it is flat out into the water. Like I said, you've got to back way into the water to get it to float so you can back off. The end of the road ramp has been there since the 80's as far as I can remember. The 'new' one was built some time around 2010 along with the pavilion.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Rayburn Notes - 09/29/22 02:08 PM

Sounds like you need help launching, I'm available on weekends. Just saying
Posted By: Walls

Re: Rayburn Notes - 09/29/22 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by BMCD
Sounds like you need help launching, I'm available on weekends. Just saying

No boat yet, huh? sick
Posted By: Clark Reehm

Re: Rayburn Notes - 09/29/22 04:51 PM

The Old Cassels Boykin ramp is still good to use as is the Caney ramp. I can't speak for the others on the lake but a lot of them should be alright.

I haven't been out on the water since Sunday and can't give a great report because this cold front should make a pretty drastic change. Just know that the lake is 5' low now and there is more hydrilla than I have seen in years. A lot of it mats at 5-6' but I've seen it about 2' under the water out to 10' deep in some places. I had a father and son that are learning how to bass fish on Sunday and our best bites came on topwaters along grass edges early. The offshore bite was not good because the majority of the fish were suspended in the water column not relating to bait, cover or structure like they had been. The schooling fish that were in abundance during the week were pretty much gone and the fish weren't sitting on the bottom to be caught either. Weights in the big bass club team championship this past weekend were not great but then again, that was pre cold front. The shad were starting to bunch of right prior to the week of high 90's so I imagine they are going to get back on track soon. You could run brushpiles in the vicinity of the schooling fish to get bigger bites when they were schooling but that bite changed come the weekend. With the Media Championship and the Keith Combs tournament this weekend, we should see the tournament sacks start to stabilize.

I have next Monday and Tuesday available if anyone is looking to go prior to the Sealy Big Bass Splash next weekend. I am also booking through the remainder of the year for classes and catching trips. I will try to produce a big bass splash video this week as well for those of ya'll coming down to take a chance at a big one.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Rayburn Notes - 10/02/22 04:10 AM

No fish at Rayburn go somewhere else
Posted By: buda13

Re: Rayburn Notes - 10/03/22 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by lamoon78

After looking at the Media Championship results and talking to some of the guys that fished it… no problem!!!

What the heck is wrong with Rayburn? 21 lbs for a 2 day total gets paid?? Did the Bassmaster #1 lake curse finally take its toll?
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Rayburn Notes - 10/03/22 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by buda13
Originally Posted by lamoon78

After looking at the Media Championship results and talking to some of the guys that fished it… no problem!!!

What the heck is wrong with Rayburn? 21 lbs for a 2 day total gets paid?? Did the Bassmaster #1 lake curse finally take its toll?

Cajuns been filling ice chests
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum