Texas Fishing Forum

Targeting bass from bank in fall

Posted By: Texasfisher2639

Targeting bass from bank in fall - 09/27/22 10:55 PM

I’m looking for any insight on how to find bass in the early to late fall on a lake with no obvious grass or other cover that I can see from the bank. All I have is navionics so I can see the depth contours. My lake has several points that I’ve tried with varying degrees of luck. Besides that I try to fish the couple coves I can reach on foot. I’ve been dragging T-rigs and jigs across the bottom to try to find any sort of cover but it mostly seems like either silt or small rock/pebble. Besides trying to focus the abrupt depth changes I see on navionics I don’t know what else to target. My lake has one marina but it’s small and a long cast to make from the bank.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Targeting bass from bank in fall - 09/27/22 11:14 PM

points seem like a good spot
IMHO

welcome aboard
Posted By: Texasfisher2639

Re: Targeting bass from bank in fall - 09/28/22 12:08 AM

Thank you! Glad to have found this forum, lots of good info for a newer bass angler. I’ll keep trying the points, but they get busy on the weekends mostly seems like white bass fishing so I’m usually relegated to the first small section I pull up at. I guess I just need to get busy fixing up my Jon boat again.
Posted By: SRitchey

Re: Targeting bass from bank in fall - 09/28/22 03:33 AM

Try some moving baits. Squarebill and other crankbaits depending on the depth. Bass like looking up to eat this time of year. Spinnerbait, swimbait as the shad start moving back in the coves, jerkbaits and topwater too. Good luck!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Targeting bass from bank in fall - 09/28/22 12:04 PM

I’d start at the point of the mouth of a large feeder creek mid lake.
Focus on anything different:
Rock changes to gravel
Trees fallen in the water
Docks

Start with a bait you can cast far and cover water like a rattle trap or square bill.

If no bites in 20 minutes, move down the creek away from the main lake stopping to fish areas with anything different.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Targeting bass from bank in fall - 09/28/22 01:15 PM

Invest in a good pair of waders or tube to fish off shore just a little. This allows you to fish parallel with the shoreline; which makes all the difference in covering water. Use your Nav. App. to locate the irregular contours that will bring them closer to shore. These are highways for fish moving up to feed.
- best Fall bait that I have found is a small 1/4 oz. Single Spin, NO Skirt. Use a 3.5 shad color swimbait on the shank instead of a skirt.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum