Texas Fishing Forum

Reason squaw fish don't grow?

Posted By: barryfish

Reason squaw fish don't grow? - 09/26/22 06:46 PM

Let's have a discussion about squaw creek. What is your guess in why the bass aren't much bigger than 1-3lbs. I don't think it has to do with talapia much. The reason I say that is, it was closed for 10 years after 9/11. The talapia had 10 years to over populate the place. It opened back up in 2011 and boom 30lb bags were being caught. Years go by and it declined due people bring fish from the river or discharge. There is a 10-15 degree difference. Those fish don't get acclimated or fizzed and the big ones die off. I think if it would have been closed for 8 more years, you would see big fish being caught again. Thoughts??
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Reason squaw fish don't grow? - 09/26/22 06:54 PM

end of discussion, you nailed it
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Reason squaw fish don't grow? - 09/26/22 07:02 PM

they grow fast... They die fast. Hot water has a lot more disease and parasites. I just dont think they live that long. Yes the tournament mortality does have an influence, but i feel its over populated with the same size fish. After a couple of years of fishing is when we started seeing different sized fish show up. Less competition for food and some of the fish finally got bigger.
Posted By: Classic Fiberglass

Re: Reason squaw fish don't grow? - 09/26/22 07:17 PM

So, what happened to the small mouth that were in it pre 911?

Re: Reason squaw fish don't grow? - 09/26/22 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Classic Fiberglass

[Linked Image]

Re: Reason squaw fish don't grow? - 09/26/22 07:22 PM

Water got too hot when the reactors were turned on. Smallies also don't do a good job of reproducing around here, so it needs constant stocking
Posted By: Classic Fiberglass

Re: Reason squaw fish don't grow? - 09/26/22 07:32 PM

Was that picture pre 9/11?

Re: Reason squaw fish don't grow? - 09/26/22 07:34 PM

Was that picture pre 9/11?

Post 9/11 for sure.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum