Texas Fishing Forum

Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card?

Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/26/22 03:13 AM

Final bassmaster tour event starts tomorrow, is there data anywhere of who's at risk at getting cut for next year?
Posted By: GMTK

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/26/22 11:38 AM

The answer to your question is no. I think that last 9 in AOY for the last 3 year (average of the 3 years) are gone. But I'm not 100% on this. Maybe they say something about it on the telecast.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/26/22 12:10 PM

I heard they are bumping the total anglers to 100. So maybe not cutting many, if any at all.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/26/22 12:28 PM

They started with 94 this year. 12 new guys from the open are coming so there will only be a couple with the increase to 100.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/26/22 02:53 PM

Justin Atlins and Carl Jocumsen both said they are near the danger line.
Posted By: DBW

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/26/22 02:57 PM

I would think that Darold Gleason is on the list
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/26/22 04:38 PM

Everyone that unhooks their boats to change a tire

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/26/22 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by DBW

Is he in year 2 yet? In pro fishing a dream can turn into a nightmare real quick. Ike would be cut if not for being a long timer, I think anyone who's has fished with the Elites from late 2000's until now is safe because those guys get to drop their worst AOY year.

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/26/22 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf
Originally Posted by DBW

Is he in year 2 yet? In pro fishing a dream can turn into a nightmare real quick. Ike would be cut if not for being a long timer, I think anyone who's has fished with the Elites from late 2000's until now is safe because those guys get to drop their worst AOY year.

I think he is in year 3. If I recall he qualified same year that Swindle returned.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/26/22 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger1
Everyone that unhooks their boats to change a tire

roflmao
Posted By: Tyler Kalishek

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/27/22 04:58 PM

Jocumsen has finished in the 50s the last 3 seasons. Not sure where he’s at now. How has Bernie Shultz stayed on tour
Posted By: 78Staff

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/27/22 06:47 PM

They mentioned during today's broadcast during the delay that several guys got emotional yesterday at the wiegh in b/c they felt like this would be their last Elite event and would have to go back through the opens again... They didnt' say who though.

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/27/22 07:51 PM

Looks like Atkins may get cut, Bernie is bombing too but he's been on the Elites since 2006 so that drop year maybe saves him?
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/27/22 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by 78Staff
They mentioned during today's broadcast during the delay that several guys got emotional yesterday at the wiegh in b/c they felt like this would be their last Elite event and would have to go back through the opens again... They didnt' say who though.

Atkins

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/27/22 08:25 PM

Last year they used an average of your last 3 seasons, if an angler had been on tour more than 3 years you got to drop your worst year. Atkins that is a tough one, only guy I can think of that went MLF to BASS and it didn't pay off. Definitely looks easier to stay qualified for MLF once you make it there BASS is brutal to make it and brutal to stay at the top. Some don't realize Feider was an eyelash away from getting cut from tour early on in his career.
Posted By: Neal G

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/27/22 08:45 PM

Turning over the bottom 20% of the Elite field every year based on 3 year rolling average would be best for all anglers but will never happen due to league and sponsor branding investments.
Same issue over at that other league.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/28/22 12:31 AM

I think Atkins and Gleason are cut for sure, Tacorante and Morgenthaler have already announced they aren't coming back. So that's probably it if they go to 100 guys next year, unless someone else retires.

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/28/22 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by SC-001
I think Atkins and Gleason are cut for sure, Tacorante and Morgenthaler have already announced they aren't coming back. So that's probably it if they go to 100 guys next year, unless someone else retires.

Are you sure? Adkins has finished in the 60s both years. Gary Clouse looks to have worse finishes.

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/28/22 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B

Are you sure? Adkins has finished in the 60s both years. Gary Clouse looks to have worse finishes.

Atkins just had an article on BASS saying he had to really finish strong or he was gonna get cut. Jocumsen said tge same.

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/28/22 02:27 PM

Jocumsen is sitting in 43 and probably going to make the Classic.

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/28/22 03:16 PM

Jocumsen is sitting in 43 and probably going to make the Classic.

I hope he does. I really respect his journey. Ran into him on Tawakoni one day a year or so ago. Really enjoyed visiting with him.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/28/22 06:31 PM

Unless they changed the criteria think so. Clouse can drop 2021 as he used a medical exemption, same as Whatley did this year and Menedez did a few years before.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/29/22 01:23 AM

Fritts has to be gone. At the bottom since they gave him a legends exemption.

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/29/22 01:29 AM

Jocumsen posted that he is returning.

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/29/22 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Fishspanker
Fritts has to be gone. At the bottom since they gave him a legends exemption.

I agree, he had 2 Legend tokens to use, he used one when he came back in 2017, he has to have used the other one up by now, Clunn on the other hand can probably go for several more years as many Classics and AOY wins he has.
Posted By: Mulejockey1

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/29/22 03:32 AM

Steve Kennedy has to be treading water.
Posted By: GMTK

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/29/22 12:03 PM

Not even close.

2020 - 14th
2021 - 29th
2022 - 77th
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/29/22 04:03 PM

Do you think they would cut Fritts after doing an article on him in the current issue of Bassmaster?

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/29/22 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce Allen
Do you think they would cut Fritts after doing an article on him in the current issue of Bassmaster?

Yes. They have cut people that had current articles on tbe website and in the magazines. That article was probably planned and completed months ago and had already been tabbed for the current issue.

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 08/29/22 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce Allen

He pretty much said at his last weigh in that his health wouldn’t allow him to fish competitively anymore.

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 09/24/22 01:39 AM

Atkins got saved

Three-time Japanese Angler of the Year (AOY) and Bassmaster Classic qualifier Daisuke Aoki has announced his retirement from the Bassmaster Elite Series. The 39-year-old from Yamanashi, Japan, has fished professionally for 20 years, including one season on the Elite Series.

During the 2021 season, Aoki won the Bassmaster Southern Open at Douglas Lake on his way to qualifying for the 2022 Elite Series. The best finish in his one and only season on the Elites came at Chickamauga Lake, where he placed 6th. That was the highlight of his season as he ended up 88th place in final AOY standings.

Aoki has posted a 17-minute video to his YouTube channel in which he cited his reasons for retiring from the Elite Series. He was visibly upset in the video and expressed that the decision to leave the Elites was a painful one. But he is also relieved that the decision has been made.

Being in a new place, far from home, for extended periods of time while trying to qualify for the Elite Series over the last few years was hard enough on Aoki. But this year, piled on top of this were the rigors of competing on the Elite Series, and Aoki was simply overwhelmed before the season even started.

With all the preparations required to get ready for competition, the 2022 season weighed heavy on Aoki from the start. But he thought he might change his mind about wanting to continue on the Elite Series, especially around April with his near-miss at an Elite Series win on Chickamauga.

But the short-lived success wasn’t enough to stem the tide, and Aoki became disillusioned as the season wore on.

Aoki stated that he wanted to leave his mark on fishing and make a contribution in the U.S. among the best anglers in the world. He expressed his frustration in exiting the Elite series after a tough first season.

Aoki is grateful to have qualified for the Classic in just four years of trying, citing that qualification as one of his greatest accomplishments. Though Aoki believes he’ll continue to fish tournaments, he admits his feelings toward tournament competition are half-hearted at the present time.

Aoki plans to do many things moving forward – including fishing for fun – but plans to give himself time to consider what’s next.

Aoki’s decision opens one more spot on the 2023 Elite Series. Chad Morgenthaler’s retirement opened a spot for Frank Talley, while Jay Yelas’ retirement announcement last week preserved a spot for Justin Atkins. With Aoki’s departure, Rick Clunn will requalify for the Elites without using a Legends point.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 09/24/22 06:06 PM

doubt that any will be turned away that have money or sponsor money.
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Who's on the chopping block to lose their Elite series tour card? - 09/24/22 06:22 PM

Rick Clunn is amazing! 76 and still fishing at that level.
© 2022 Texas Fishing Forum