Texas Fishing Forum

Jig Rods

Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Jig Rods - 08/25/22 09:20 PM

My nexr rod purchase will be the most sensative jig rod I can afford, back in my early days it was IM6 material. I'm sure there is something out there far beyond that now. What am I looking for?
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Jig Rods - 08/25/22 09:21 PM

NRX+
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Jig Rods - 08/25/22 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
My nexr rod purchase will be the most sensative jig rod I can afford, back in my early days it was IM6 material. I'm sure there is something out there far beyond that now. What am I looking for?

More than you’re going to spend.
Posted By: DillonCan'tFish

Re: Jig Rods - 08/26/22 03:03 AM

What’s your budget?
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Jig Rods - 08/26/22 11:05 AM

Cara Amistad......this rod is so versatile for a lot of applications....jig, frog, C-rig, heavy t-rig, umbrella rigs, etc......
Posted By: bsouth401

Re: Jig Rods - 08/26/22 02:36 PM

Pick your price point
KD 745C $189.99 https://dobynsrods.com/product/kd-745c/

DC 735C FH $269.99 https://dobynsrods.com/product/dc-735c-fh/

DX 745C FH $349.99 https://dobynsrods.com/product/dx-745c-fh/

DRX 755C $549.99 https://dobynsrods.com/product/drx-755c/

Of those the Champion Extreme HP DC 745 FH would be my pick. You can also get most of those in split handle too, but personally I would rather have the full cork handle.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Jig Rods - 08/26/22 02:42 PM

Some of the choices above are great...but for me, this has been my go jig rod.

https://daiwa.us/collections/freshwater-rods/products/tatula-elite-signature-series-bass-rods

Brent Ehrler
TAEL731MHFB
$179.99
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Jig Rods - 08/26/22 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by bsouth401
Pick your price point
KD 745C $189.99 https://dobynsrods.com/product/kd-745c/

DC 735C FH $269.99 https://dobynsrods.com/product/dc-735c-fh/

DX 745C FH $349.99 https://dobynsrods.com/product/dx-745c-fh/

DRX 755C $549.99 https://dobynsrods.com/product/drx-755c/

Of those the Champion Extreme HP DC 745 FH would be my pick. You can also get most of those in split handle too, but personally I would rather have the full cork handle.

OP said most sensitive. As much as I like my Dobyns their far from it.
Posted By: Collindave

Re: Jig Rods - 08/26/22 04:51 PM

+1 on cara amistad

or

megabass braillist orochi
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Jig Rods - 08/26/22 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
Cara Amistad......this rod is so versatile for a lot of applications....jig, frog, C-rig, heavy t-rig, umbrella rigs, etc......

I've got an Made In USA Cara Weightless Worm rod. It is by far my favorite rod. Olsens Fishing Shop in Lake Worth had a couple of the old stock Made In USA Cara Amistads last time I was in there. I'm not sure if the new ones are Made In USA or if it matters. Does it? I've been eyeing them.

Re: Jig Rods - 08/26/22 09:57 PM

Probably going to step up on this one and step up to the $300 range and up. I really just started jig fishing last year and actually caught most of my fish last year on the jig. The one thing I realized pretty quick is how subtle the bites can be.....that's going to take the most sensative rod I can buy. If I spend that much I will be expecting some sort of warranty as well. I just live up hwy 19 a ways from Sulphur Springs and I'll be running by Dobyns as well. I have friends that use their stuff and they are very pleased.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Jig Rods - 08/26/22 11:24 PM

I like the Dobyns DX 784 it about $350.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Jig Rods - 08/27/22 02:18 PM

Get a Falcon Cara Amistad or Head Turner... Best rods made and as said above, very versatile... Dan thumb
Posted By: 4967

Re: Jig Rods - 08/27/22 02:32 PM

Falcon Head Turner was my first quality jig rod many years ago, and I still talk about that rod to this day! It would be a great one for ya, as someone else has already mentioned.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Jig Rods - 08/27/22 09:22 PM

Loomis NRX

Shimano Adrena

These would be my top two choices for most sensitive but both are over $300 but you would be amazed at how sensitive they are. I have a Megabass Destroyer that is very sensitive also but it isn't a jig rod but that would be another brand I would consider but it is also over $300
Posted By: Capt. Bryan

Re: Jig Rods - 08/27/22 11:17 PM

I know alot of choices have been mentioned already. But what kind of jig fishing are you doing? This makes a big difference, flipping, skipping, football jig, finesse? 90% of flipping bites you either pick up and they are there or you see you line twitch never actually feeling the bite even with braid.

I have NRX, GLX, Dobyns, castaway, falcon and duckett rods. Have been fishing for 40 years, the 2 things I have found is the shorter a rod is and the more limber it is the more sensitive it is. This helps by putting the balance closer to reel, the more balanced the more sensitive

Finess jig- 6'10 medium action
Skipping- 6'10 medium heavy fast tip
Football 7'6 medium heavy
Flipping - Heavy fast tip
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Jig Rods - 08/28/22 04:03 AM

Since the OP specified the most sensitive, G.Loomis NRX or NRX+ stand alone at the top of the heap.

Re: Jig Rods - 08/28/22 02:45 PM

I have some Falcon rods and they are excellent. I bought them around the time Falcon was starting up, they are jig and worm rods and the feel is ok on them, just looking for something better. The rods I have would probably be the equivelent of the Low Rider in quality, these were their premium rods in their day. Brannan's Bass Shop is a dealer for Falcon. I've already looked at them there. May have to go back.......
Posted By: INAMINUTE

Re: Jig Rods - 08/28/22 04:27 PM

I have used the Steez Bottom Contact, Kistler Z-Bone, and NRX and in my hands, the NRX is the most sensitive. Since you want only 1 rod, if you consider the NRX, I would look at their lure ratings and make sure they are close to the weight range you plan to use it for (they tend to be narrower than other brands). Another nice thing about NRX rods is they keep their value pretty well and they are easy to sell if you don’t like them.

Re: Jig Rods - 08/28/22 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cmack
Since the OP specified the most sensitive, G.Loomis NRX or NRX+ stand alone at the top of the heap.

The Shimano Adrena is right along there with the NRX for sensitivity.

Re: Jig Rods - 08/28/22 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Capt. Bryan
I know alot of choices have been mentioned already. But what kind of jig fishing are you doing? This makes a big difference, flipping, skipping, football jig, finesse? 90% of flipping bites you either pick up and they are there or you see you line twitch never actually feeling the bite even with braid.

I have NRX, GLX, Dobyns, castaway, falcon and duckett rods. Have been fishing for 40 years, the 2 things I have found is the shorter a rod is and the more limber it is the more sensitive it is. This helps by putting the balance closer to reel, the more balanced the more sensitive

The quality of the graphite used in the rod makes the most difference in the sensitivity.

Re: Jig Rods - 08/29/22 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Capt. Bryan

After looking at some of these rods that is what I picked up on, it's going to be much broader than one rod. I'll mainly be casting a jig or Texas rig with what I'll be looking for but I also finesse and flip and pitch jigs as well. Most everything I use is less than 7 foot, most are old school 6"6", which was considered long in their day. because most everything else being made at the time was south of 6 foot. On the feel I've actually thought about what you are saying as well. Most of the fish I caught on a jig last year the bite felt like I was going through a clump of grass. I set the hook and it was a fish. I had few that were a sure enough thump and one or two that litterally hit like they were hitting a run away crankbait on the fall.
Posted By: breauxmule

Re: Jig Rods - 08/30/22 03:26 PM

St. Croix Legend Extreme- used for first time last Sunday. Relly impressed

Re: Jig Rods - 08/30/22 09:00 PM

thumb

Re: Jig Rods - 08/30/22 09:03 PM

I found out Brannan's has some of the Cara Falcon's in stock. I may run up there this weekend and then go down to Sulphur Springs and compare that to what Dobyn's has.
Posted By: Bofish

Re: Jig Rods - 09/01/22 09:42 PM

I have fished Falcon rods since they first came out. LowRiders then Caras and they are still my go to rods, but G Loomis is much lighter and much more sensitive I think. I have bought 3 Loomis (1 GLX and 2 GCX) for pitching/skipping and they are fabulous. Light and very sensitive. My opinion
Posted By: Power Pole

Re: Jig Rods - 09/03/22 02:36 AM

Power tackle the one
Posted By: 78Staff

Re: Jig Rods - 09/04/22 03:02 AM

As noted by Capt Bryan, there really never is "one" rod unfortunately. Type of bait, presentation, wieght, even line all have an effect.

Personally for me, I'm a Dobyns guy, but Falcon Cara line is very good as well and if I ever switched, that is where I would likely go. My current setup (Florida based, tend to go heavier)
DX795 - Flipping/Pitching up to 1-1/4 and some punching (but will be adding an 805 for a dedicated Punch rod to handle 1-2oz punching setups).
DX746 - 3/4-1oz Jig-n-Pig type presentations
DX745 - 1/2-5/8 creature bait/flipping tube/that sort of thing..

Not sure what this finesse jig deal that keeps getting mentioned though... smile.
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: Jig Rods - 09/06/22 04:06 PM

Dobyns DX 784...or Megabass Braillist Orochi...both excellent options
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum