Texas Fishing Forum

Tow Vehicle goes Flat while Towing

Posted By: El Skeeter

Tow Vehicle goes Flat while Towing - 08/25/22 06:52 PM

As stated in above tittle, should trailer be unhitched to change flat tire on rear axle?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Tow Vehicle goes Flat while Towing - 08/25/22 06:56 PM

I would unhook the trailer. No since in taking an undo risk. The truck should be as stable as you can make it for safeties sake, and a trailer wobbling on the hitch ain’t the best idea.
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Tow Vehicle goes Flat while Towing - 08/25/22 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
I would unhook the trailer. No since in taking an undo risk. The truck should be as stable as you can make it for safeties sake, and a trailer wobbling on the hitch ain’t the best idea.

Steez, I am sure you mean you would NOT unhook the trailer.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Tow Vehicle goes Flat while Towing - 08/25/22 07:12 PM

Hell no don't unhook the trailer, Get the hydraulic jack and 4 way out and change tire in less then ten minutes and get to going down the road.
It's NOT rocket science
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Tow Vehicle goes Flat while Towing - 08/25/22 07:12 PM

If you can safely unhook the trailer and leave it sit while you change the tire, this is a good option. Otherwise, leave it connected but be mindful of the extended pivot the trailer adds caused by center of balance.

Most places I've had to change a tire were uneven or sloped, so I think a trailer would be left connected.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Tow Vehicle goes Flat while Towing - 08/25/22 07:13 PM

I carry a heavy duty hydraulic jack so I personally would not unhook…. On a less than ideal surface with a bottle jack could be a different story.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Tow Vehicle goes Flat while Towing - 08/25/22 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger1
Hell no don't unhook the trailer, Get the hydraulic jack and 4 way out and change tire in less then ten minutes and get to going down the road.
It's NOT rocket science

This^^^^ no need in making it more difficult.
Posted By: Hulapoppin

Re: Tow Vehicle goes Flat while Towing - 08/25/22 09:43 PM

Hell I’m just impressed that all y’all have spares, I usually just run mine on the rim to the first tire place I find.
Posted By: T21x

Re: Tow Vehicle goes Flat while Towing - 08/25/22 10:16 PM

Leave hooked and move on. I've done it several times.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Tow Vehicle goes Flat while Towing - 08/25/22 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by bassnman
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

Steez, I am sure you mean you would NOT unhook the trailer.

People don't know how to change a tire these days, but they can list off all their favorite Tik Tok users
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Tow Vehicle goes Flat while Towing - 08/25/22 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hulapoppin
Hell I’m just impressed that all y’all have spares, I usually just run mine on the rim to the first tire place I find.

some of us ain't big ballers.

ya know? grin
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Tow Vehicle goes Flat while Towing - 08/25/22 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by T21x
Leave hooked and move on. I've done it several times.

thumb

I carry a lopro 6 ton floor jack in the truck, trailer or truck, they stay together. your hitch should be in the center which is the pivot point for the jack, boat will not influence it either way.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Tow Vehicle goes Flat while Towing - 08/26/22 01:50 AM

I don't understand some of the questions on here. Jack the truck and change the tire. Why over think things
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Tow Vehicle goes Flat while Towing - 08/26/22 12:56 PM

I can see it now..... had a flat, pulled over, boat is in a ravine cause when he unhooked it it rolled down the ravine. but hey.... it made it easier for the 4 ton hydraulic jack to jack up said flat tire.
Posted By: doctorb

Re: Tow Vehicle goes Flat while Towing - 08/26/22 04:24 PM

Weird timing as I had this happen a week ago to me. I carry a plug kit and a portable air compressor that can run off the battery. Just plugged the hole, re-inflated and away I went. Of course it was a hole that could be plugged. If I had to get the spare and lift the axel there is no doubt that I would unhook the boat.
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: Tow Vehicle goes Flat while Towing - 08/26/22 04:53 PM

Must have been a slow day.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Tow Vehicle goes Flat while Towing - 08/26/22 06:33 PM

To the guys that leave the boat connected, his do you get to your spare tire? I have to access mine with the screw handle and extensions. The boat trailer is smack dab in the way.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum