Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Picachos

Posted By: brknrn

Lake Picachos - 08/15/22 07:14 PM

I am planning to take my son to Lake Picachos and possibly El Salto in either Late November or Mid-March. What would be the best time of the year to fish these lakes? He is only 12 so his skills are limited. I am thinking a topwater or a Senko bite would be best for him.
Posted By: NoWeighers

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/15/22 07:34 PM

Senkos and lizards will work very well..

Trust me, if you go to Pichachos he will be an excellent soft plastic fisherman before you get back..
Posted By: Los Lagos

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/15/22 07:38 PM

He will not be limited by his skill set at Picachos, he will be so spoiled fishing stateside might not entertain him any longer but he will catch his fair share of fish on that lake.
Posted By: watermelon orange

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/15/22 08:47 PM

Texas rigged 8 inch lizards. Let him rare back on them for a few days!
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/15/22 09:25 PM

My last trip I took 100 Watermelon/Pearl Yum Dingers and ran out the second day. You couldn't keep the fish off of them. Next trip I'm taking 200.
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/15/22 11:35 PM

Any method of rigging senko will work. Topwater has a small window at first light we had to put the bait close to timber, chug bug worked better than pop r, spooks or buzzbaits.
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/16/22 01:03 AM

December is a good time
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/16/22 01:40 AM

Mid March is awesome. Do a Ron Speed combo of Salto and Picachos, but He’ll have more fun on Picachos.
Posted By: NELA Bassguy

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/16/22 03:20 PM

I highly recommend using Zman products because they are very tough. Three years ago, I caught 85 fish on the same shakey head and worm on El Salto. Probably could have caught more, but my shakey head weight started to get loose and I replaced it when I retied. As mentioned above, you may very well ruin him on either lake. I know it has made me really rethink going/not going alot, lol. I catch more fish in my annual 4 day trip to Salto than I do combined on my local lakes for the rest of the year.

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/16/22 04:05 PM

I have been to Anglers Inn on El Salto but have never been to Picachos. Do you guys have a lodge recommendation on Picachos? Anglers Inn or Ron Speed?
Posted By: Pete Robbins

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/16/22 06:45 PM

I've only been to Anglers Inn, so I can't compare them, but pretty hard to beat that overall experience and level of service.

My wife and I have put together over 100 articles about fishing in Mexico: El Salto and Picachos Guide

Happy to answer any questions either here or in a private message.
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/16/22 07:15 PM

For the past 10 years I have fished Picachos and/or Salto twice a year and I agree with much of what has already been stated but it is worth repeating the advice about ZMan products. In my experience they get bit just as well as other options and you don't have to pack 43 pounds of your favorite plastic baits. I can't explain why the topwater isn't better at Picachos (and I've been there several different times of the year) but it is definitely limited. You are on the right track to focus on stick baits and a wide variety of different Texas rigged options. As others have stated...he's going to get spoiled.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/16/22 09:04 PM

here's a link to a story/pictures i did of trip my son and i went on to Picachos and El Salto with ron speed back in march......

https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...s-unbelievable-el-salto-too#Post14315617

below is a link to story/pictures I did on El Salto......I've been down there each year for past 5-6 years with ron speed and every year it has been a great experience....
my advise is buy a couple of those 50 packs of senko type baits...watermelon red or blue/black....about 50 4/0 hooks and 1/4 ounce sinkers and 20 lb flouro....carry three reels each and they furnish rods-get the heavy duty 7ft rods...set of scales to weigh those 7-11 lb fish..
https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...l-salto-on-your-bucket-list#Post14315680
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/16/22 09:15 PM

Only been once to Picachos with Ron Speeds so nothing to compare to but i can say Speeds was top notch. We ate well, were cared for beyond what I would have thought possible, caught at least 80 fish per day between the two of us and just had a fantastic adventure. Top water was great early and then plastics deep, mostly Texas rigged senkos with at least a 3/8oz weight. We also caught a ton fishing spinnerbaits shallow up to about 6lbs. We did not catch anything over about 6lbs but the action was constant. Have a great time with your son!
Posted By: Falcon Bass Cat

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/17/22 12:55 AM

Late-November is my favorite time to fish Picachos. Spinnerbaits shallow and around log jams, senkos/craws on rock bluffs are safe choices. I’ve been close to 20 times. You and your son will have a great time and make memories you’ll never forget!

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/17/22 05:27 PM

Ron Speed, been there 5 times and it’s great.
Posted By: NoWeighers

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/17/22 06:31 PM

Been there every year since it opened, I think..

I was there in early April and it was stupid good..

Always with Ron Speed's camp..

Not sure how you'd beat it!
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/17/22 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pete Robbins
I've only been to Anglers Inn, so I can't compare them, but pretty hard to beat that overall experience and level of service.

My wife and I have put together over 100 articles about fishing in Mexico: El Salto and Picachos Guide

Seriously, listen to Pete. There's hours of reading on their website. Bookmark it & check back often. Hanna & Pete upload a new article each morning, Monday through Friday. Shoot them an email or give them a call, they can take care of you

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/17/22 08:14 PM

I suspect both are excellent outfits! I'm afraid I will never make it to Ron Speed camp...Though I'd like to.

Anglers Inn is my paradise. World class cuisine, service, and comfort. So good there, I wouldn't be able to try another. I will say that its El Salto is what I live for. Picachos is fun, been there twice! You will catch a ton of fish, but you will probably need a little luck to catch big fish there. Big fish are in there but can be hard to find.

I'm sure Speed customers feel the same way! Ron if you're reading this, send me a voucher (free trip) I'll come right over and check it out. freak
Posted By: salex

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/18/22 02:25 PM

In full disclosure I am an agent for Ron Speed Adventures, but I really enjoyed poking around on your web-site, you have spent a lot of time writing articles. Great job!

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/18/22 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by salex

In full disclosure I am an agent for Ron Speed Adventures, but I really enjoyed poking around on your web-site, you have spent a lot of time writing articles. Great job!

Thanks for the kind words. We're all in this together -- encouraging people to take the trip of a lifetime with minimal apprehension and maximum preparation.
As you know, many of the guides/staff at Anglers Inn have relatives at Ron Speed's.
Posted By: JILAS

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/18/22 07:21 PM

Never been but has been on my "bucket list" since 4 of us fished Lake Guerrero in early 80s. Drove in shifts all night to Lake Guerrero from Houston.
What is approximate TOTAL All In Cost (transportation to/from airport, rooms, meals, tips, etc) on person basis. I assume "double occupancy" is basis/standard, Are 2 people sufficient or need multiple of 2 people? [i][/i][u][/u]

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/18/22 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by JILAS
Never been but has been on my "bucket list" since 4 of us fished Lake Guerrero in early 80s. Drove in shifts all night to Lake Guerrero from Houston.
What is approximate TOTAL All In Cost (transportation to/from airport, rooms, meals, tips, etc) on person basis. I assume "double occupancy" is basis/standard, Are 2 people sufficient or need multiple of 2 people? [i][/i][u][/u]

For Anglers Inn, I think the prices for the '22-23 season are $2,145/$2095 for a basic 4 nights, 3.5 days of fishing package at El Salto and Picachos, respectively, based on double occupancy. Additional days can be added.
That includes lodging, fishing, all food/drink/alcohol, daily laundry service, transport to/from the Mazatlan airport. The only extras are international airfare, tips, massage (if you choose to get one). Bring your own reels and lures, St. Croix Rods can be borrowed free of charge (unless you break one).

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/19/22 01:24 PM

About $3,000 for everything.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/19/22 02:30 PM

My Dad and I went two years ago and I spent about $5000 total for the two of us by the time I bought way too much tackle, and then tipped the guides, drivers, and workers at the camp very well. That was flights and everything. I used the person they recommended to set up my flights so if that was done on your own I assume some money could be saved there. Also I tipped more than what they recommended but we were very well cared for including my Dad who is not as spry as he once was. That to me was a cheap memory for my Pop and I, worth every penny!
Posted By: JILAS

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/20/22 01:10 AM

VERY helpful!!! Thanks to all who replied for info!! More questions - How far in advance to make fishing reservations and what is preferred time of year to go?[i][/i][u][/u]

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/20/22 02:32 PM

I prefer February and March, good fishing and not real hot.
Ron Speed offers 2 for 1 at some times.
Check with Bill Mullins at the office.
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/21/22 04:45 PM

I have fished all of Ron's lodges in Mexico and both of the major competitors... they all offer different experiences. The one constant that continues to be a highlight of each trip is dealing with Bill Mullins. He's a REALLY solid dude and works hard to make our trips extraordinary. He's one of the major reasons our last eight trips have been with Speed's Adventures.

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/30/22 11:20 PM

Thank you everyone. We are booked with Angler’s Inn for the last weekend in November. I will post a report when we get back!

Re: Lake Picachos - 08/31/22 12:28 AM

Good choice! Top water fishing that time of year is insane. Pick up some rio ricos in shad colors. you can find them at tackle warehouse!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum