Texas Fishing Forum

ABU Garcia Black Max

Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

ABU Garcia Black Max - 08/01/22 10:28 PM

Someone just gave me a gift card to Walmart and there was enough money on it to buy one of these reels so after looking around the fishing stuff I came home with a Black Max; maybe I should have spent the money on lures instead. I already own a couple of the Pro Max reels and from what I've read about them they are basically Revo and Black Max technology combined. Those two reels have already boated a few fish and fished some tournaments and have performed flawlessly. I put this new Black Max on a 7 foot medium heavy crankbait rod I had laying around and then loaded the reel with backing and 30 pound Strike King Braid I got in a gift bag. I'm going to use it as frog rig and have one tied on. The yard test; after I backlashed the mess out of it and remebered I needed to tune the thing for the lure on the end, it cast a country mile. Luckily braid picks out real easy. This reel will get tested Saturday morning @ Bob Sandlin and I'll report back.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: ABU Garcia Black Max - 08/01/22 11:08 PM

I started out with black max reels. Had no problems.

CB Rod for frogs will be interesting though.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: ABU Garcia Black Max - 08/01/22 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by wh2004
I started out with black max reels. Had no problems.

CB Rod for frogs will be interesting though.

This one is old school and kind of stiff for a CB rod. It's more like a C-Rig Rod. It was built for really big crankbaits.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: ABU Garcia Black Max - 08/02/22 01:19 AM

I have 2 Black Max reels. The one I have set up for lipless and small crank baits throws farther than any other reel rod combo I have. For 40 bucks they’re disposable. I’d buy another in a heartbeat.

Check Johnny Schultz on Fish The Moment. He loves them. Great value for the money
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: ABU Garcia Black Max - 08/02/22 02:11 AM

Fantastic reel for the money. I have 5 of them now and use them for anything i will crank. They outcast every reel i own.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: ABU Garcia Black Max - 08/02/22 04:48 AM

That braid will fail on hookset, too light
I am not a fan of abu, I hope you like it.
Posted By: harvey walker

Re: ABU Garcia Black Max - 08/02/22 12:32 PM

have them and never had a reel problem.
Posted By: Bass98

Re: ABU Garcia Black Max - 08/03/22 01:26 AM

Great value, yes they feel a little cheap and you're more likely to get a lemon, but I use them along side much more expensive reels and they cast just as far. If one quits after a year and half it's no big deal.
Posted By: NateRich5797

Re: ABU Garcia Black Max - 08/03/22 06:06 PM

I still have an Abu Garcia Silver Max 3 reel that I use for moving baits. It's about the same price as the Black Max. I throw spinnerbaits, crank baits, and swim baits on it. It's held up just fine, and I've had it 5 years now. It's another great reel that comes to mind when I think bang for buck.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: ABU Garcia Black Max - 08/03/22 06:15 PM

My travel rod is a silver max w/ silver max reel. It serves it's purpose when I'm pond hopping or traveling for work and want to take a rod with me.
Posted By: NateRich5797

Re: ABU Garcia Black Max - 08/03/22 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by avid_basser
My travel rod is a silver max w/ silver max reel. It serves it's purpose when I'm pond hopping or traveling for work and want to take a rod with me.

I'm waiting for my 7 year old son to grow out of the Zebco's. Once he does I'm going to hand him down the Silver Max 3 as his first baitcaster. Hopefully that's sooner rather than later!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum