Texas Fishing Forum

HPDI 2 issues

Posted By: breauxmule

HPDI 2 issues - 07/29/22 01:16 PM

I had my motor rebuilt, high-pressure fuel pump rebuilt injectors sent off and professionally cleaned. My mechanic says it will idle great while trimmed up but as soon as he trims down it sputters and dies. He’s scratching his head.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 07/29/22 06:47 PM

Does it have a low pressure pump that feeds the VST ? If so, the VST is kinda like a BIG float bowl on a carburetor. Maybe the VST tank isn’t filling properly and causing a fuel starving issue when it is at a certain angle?

IDK. Just a thought.
Posted By: CADD

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 07/29/22 07:13 PM

Yes, not knowing the exact model it should have two low-pressure fuel pumps that go bad over time and should be repaired or replaced (replacement cost is not to bad)

The best person that posts on the web for Yamaha and HPDI is guy RodBolt on https://forums.iboats.com/

Lots of info on the web https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb1gC2WOErU
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 07/29/22 08:28 PM

My SHO has done the same thing for 800 hours. Always have to trim it up a touch when idling. Know of multiple Yamahas that do that. Both 2 and 4 strokes. I just assumed they don't like to be buried at forward idle.

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 07/29/22 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by CADD
Yes, not knowing the exact model it should have two low-pressure fuel pumps that go bad over time and should be repaired or replaced (replacement cost is not to bad)

The best person that posts on the web for Yamaha and HPDI is guy RodBolt on https://forums.iboats.com/

Lots of info on the web https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb1gC2WOErU

Those pumps are extremely inexpensive to repair and are very easy too. Basically they are tiny diaphragms that pulse through a checkvalve. The pulses are created by internal crankcase pressures.

Do you smell raw fuel at times?
Posted By: scottsoutdoorworld

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 07/30/22 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by breauxmule
I had my motor rebuilt, high-pressure fuel pump rebuilt injectors sent off and professionally cleaned. My mechanic says it will idle great while trimmed up but as soon as he trims down it sputters and dies. He’s scratching his head.

i had the same problem on my 300hpdi new pistons both low pressure pumps new vst new high pres pump injectors cleaned 3 times new coils plugs new fuel lines and primer bulb it would run fine on a hose but put it in the water and it would die so a year later and wasted 1600 dollars on it my skeeter now has a new 300 pro xs v8 on it i just wish i would have put it on first and just sold the vmax but the four stroke is awesome
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 07/30/22 01:16 AM

When i got my bug; a 2012 model, the 200 sho probably had all the orginal filters with 147 hours on the clock. The first trip out it was dropping cylinders under full throttle so I limped it back to the trailer and brought it home and changed all the filters but the VST filters. I put a can of Sea Foam in each tank and put a little in one of the filters when I changed it.. It also had about an 1/8 of a tank in each tank of really stale fuel. I added about half a tank each of fresh fuel unfortunately the kind with ethanol. It ran a lot better but when I'd back out of it and re-excellerate it would still drop cylinders after a long run. I finally found a source for no ethanol fuel and started filling it up with that, on the first fill up I added a can of Berryman B12 Chem Tool to both tanks. Berryman will desolve varnish and pretty much any contaminent that isn't a solid. I have the filters for the VST and will change them this winter; there is videos on you tube on how to do this in detail. My bug runs like a top with the fuel system flushed out and good fuel. Working in the auto industry and being a mechanic back when there were carburators on everything and gummed up was regular happening Berryman was a life saver.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 07/30/22 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
When i got my bug; a 2012 model, the 200 sho probably had all the orginal filters with 147 hours on the clock. The first trip out it was dropping cylinders under full throttle so I limped it back to the trailer and brought it home and changed all the filters but the VST filters. I put a can of Sea Foam in each tank and put a little in one of the filters when I changed it.. It also had about an 1/8 of a tank in each tank of really stale fuel. I added about half a tank each of fresh fuel unfortunately the kind with ethanol. It ran a lot better but when I'd back out of it and re-excellerate it would still drop cylinders after a long run. I finally found a source for no ethanol fuel and started filling it up with that, on the first fill up I added a can of Berryman B12 Chem Tool to both tanks. Berryman will desolve varnish and pretty much any contaminent that isn't a solid. I have the filters for the VST and will change them this winter; there is videos on you tube on how to do this in detail. My bug runs like a top with the fuel system flushed out and good fuel. Working in the auto industry and being a mechanic back when there were carburators on everything and gummed up was regular happening Berryman was a life saver.

Everyone talks about seafoam. B12 is about the best stuff money can buy to clean your system up
Posted By: David Burton

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 07/30/22 04:39 PM

Easy thing to check - Make sure your fuel line isn't getting caught in the lower trim angles and getting kinked!
Posted By: needmofish

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 07/30/22 07:21 PM

Is it hard to start also in the down position ? I like Scott have a 300 that is like yours and his. Some have question whether it could be the turner having to much back pressue: check with yammy 911 on BBC.

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 07/31/22 02:28 PM

Appreciate all the info guys. He was going to clean VST tank and filter and put the new LPfuel pumps on this weekend to see if that corrects the issue.

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 07/31/22 04:07 PM

Appreciate all the info guys. He was going to clean VST tank and filter and put the new LPfuel pumps on this weekend to see if that corrects the issue.

It will fix it. I’m pretty sure

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 07/31/22 07:27 PM

Was also told to do a link an sync. Is that something that needs a computer to do.

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 08/02/22 02:57 PM

Heard back from mechanic. Checked LP FUEL pumps they were good. Said only runs on 4 cylinders in forward but all 6 in rev. His Yamaha software bit the dust for his computer so have to wait until new software comes in.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 08/02/22 04:09 PM

on my 300, after it was rebuilt, had to take it to have the TPS adjusted correctly. It was a smidgen (technical term for .00000000000000005mm) off. It made a world of difference being just a smidgen off.

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 08/03/22 12:50 PM

Did it cause it to run on 4 cylinders in forward ? I guess there’s an exact spot it has to be in.. Hopefully when he hooks it back up he can dial it in.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 08/03/22 04:06 PM

when its idling out of gear it just runs on 4 when in gear it picks up the other 2 on a hpdi
Posted By: NTX Angler

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 08/03/22 09:57 PM

Mine did this and it was a very dirty O2 sensor. I clean it all the time now. Like many above have stated that fuel system can be tricky. The VST needs to fill properly its very easy to get something out of wack in there.
Posted By: scottsoutdoorworld

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 08/04/22 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by letsgofishin
Mine did this and it was a very dirty O2 sensor. I clean it all the time now. Like many above have stated that fuel system can be tricky. The VST needs to fill properly its very easy to get something out of wack in there.

only vz motors that have 02 sensors are the older 2.6 liter engines not the hpdi series two 3.3

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 08/04/22 04:54 AM

Here’s the numbers from side plate would it have an O2 sensor
YAMAHA. VZ225HTLR
60Y L 11006566
But it’s a 3.3 so I guess not

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 08/05/22 01:52 PM

If my mechanic can’t figure it , who would be the best Yamaha guy between Dallas and Tyler?
Posted By: Chris B

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 08/05/22 02:17 PM

If my mechanic can’t figure it , who would be the best Yamaha guy between Dallas and Tyler?

I use Service Marine in Emory.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 08/06/22 01:01 PM

If my Yamaha is trimmed down, good luck getting it to start.
If I trim it up, it starts right up.
Posted By: SKR3

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 08/11/22 03:37 AM

Well he might have figured it out. Long story short, Coils got mixed up during the rebuild, supposedly two of the six coils are different from the other four. So gonna try and find the the two that go on 5 & 6 cylinders and hopefully get'er goin again. I looked up the part #s and the bottom 2 have a different number. Crossing my fingers.

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 12/20/22 03:04 PM

At a different mechanic now, still scratching thier heads
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 12/20/22 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B

I use Service Marine in Emory.

Same here. That’s a good group of guys. Honest and fair in my experiences.
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 12/21/22 01:04 AM

I just went through the process of chasing a gremlin on a Ox66. Not exactly the same, but in my case it was a ground issue. When things get weird, t could be sensors, something that changes when motor moves, or maybe grounds. Go back to the basics. The motor needs fuel, spark, and air to run. Which one is failing?

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 12/22/22 04:32 PM

Just not much power in forward, takes forever to plane out. It jumps off trailer backwards but forward it’s like on 4 cylinders. Idles fine.

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 12/22/22 04:59 PM

Which shop did you take it to?
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 12/22/22 05:36 PM

Sounds like it may be the switch in the control box that kicks it to all 6 cylinders

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 12/22/22 05:50 PM

I hope so, it seems like everything else has been checked and cleaned

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 12/22/22 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fish Killer
Sounds like it may be the switch in the control box that kicks it to all 6 cylinders

If he's taking it to a shop that is hooking it up to a computer he would know instantly.
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 12/23/22 12:40 AM

did you replace all the fuel lines

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 12/24/22 12:35 AM

I’m pretty sure they did in the motor. Not sure from the tank to the motor.
Posted By: Dr. Drop

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 12/24/22 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B
Originally Posted by Fish Killer

If he's taking it to a shop that is hooking it up to a computer he would know instantly.

My buddies HPDI had the same problem. Only running on 4 cylinders in gear and wot.
Service Marine in Emory replaced the micro switch that kicks in the other 2 cylinders. It is located in the motor on the shift linkage.
Not easy to get to from what I remember.

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 12/24/22 06:53 PM

I hope that’s it. Supposedly one of the switches were changed but not sure if it was that one

Re: HPDI 2 issues - 01/05/23 09:56 PM

Taking to Service Marine. Need to call and set up a visit.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum