Texas Fishing Forum

New Ultrex ipilot

Posted By: Corey25

New Ultrex ipilot - 07/23/22 09:02 PM

Just bought a brand new Ultrex 36v with the regular ipilot. It came with a card saying that it doesn't come with the Bluetooth heading sensor or the full-size remote due to supply chain issues. Will it still accurately spot lock? I read that it is just for the jog feature but I would hate to spend all this money just to have a fancy motor not work. Thank you flag
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: New Ultrex ipilot - 07/23/22 09:36 PM

Thanks Joe
Posted By: Amberlamps

Re: New Ultrex ipilot - 07/23/22 10:18 PM

spot lock will work fine and you are correct - wont be able to jog without the heading sensor and remote
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: New Ultrex ipilot - 07/23/22 10:37 PM

How does the spot lock work without a heading sensor? Is the GPS built into the motor head or uses the heading sensor?
Posted By: David Burton

Re: New Ultrex ipilot - 07/23/22 11:57 PM

GPS is built in. The heading sensor is basically an electronic compass.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: New Ultrex ipilot - 07/24/22 01:20 PM

Question. Will you eventually get the chip and who will install it if you do? Just wondering, I've got this on my radar at the first of the year, either all new everything on my current rig or a new rig. Did you have a long wait to get one as well? Trying to sort out which direction to focus on, new boat or new gear.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: New Ultrex ipilot - 07/24/22 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
Question. Will you eventually get the chip and who will install it if you do? Just wondering, I've got this on my radar at the first of the year, either all new everything on my current rig or a new rig. Did you have a long wait to get one as well? Trying to sort out which direction to focus on, new boat or new gear.

It’s not a chip in the trolling motor. It is a round heading “puck” with Minnkota on it and a remote control. The puck only needs to have power and ground connected to it. Then Push and hold the button in top of it and the button on the Ultrex head and they link.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: New Ultrex ipilot - 07/24/22 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

It’s not a chip in the trolling motor. It is a round heading “puck” with Minnkota on it and a remote control. The puck only needs to have power and ground connected to it. Then Push and hold the button in top of it and the button on the Ultrex head and they link.

Thanks for the clarification. Should not be an issue.

Re: New Ultrex ipilot - 07/24/22 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

Thanks for the clarification. Should not be an issue.

Chances are you won’t use either often. I’ve had a first gen Ultrex since the day it was available. I have only charged the remote twice (maybe three times) in four years. I have used the remote maybe a dozen times. It is a convenient thing to have, but really not needed day in, day out.
Posted By: flashman252

Re: New Ultrex ipilot - 07/24/22 08:20 PM

Rarely use the remote, only time I do is when I am controlling the TM for others fishing off the front deck. Some times I like to sit in the driver seat and control it and just let kiddos fish without having to worry about steering the TM. Otherwise, I never use the remote.

I do like the jog feature though. If I am fishing slow and methodical in a cove that has a ton of fish, I will hit that jog button and it just slow cruises and self corrects. Keeps my foot of the pedal as much and it really does work pretty good. It is almost like autopilot and takes very little correcting.
Posted By: Corey25

Re: New Ultrex ipilot - 07/25/22 03:23 PM

Thank you for all the information. Just installed it and can't wait to use it.
Posted By: 361V

Re: New Ultrex ipilot - 07/25/22 11:13 PM

Heck, I’d have to look around the boat to even find my remote. If I was guiding and/or fishing out of a bigger center console or something maybe but always fishing up front in my bass boat? Like I said I’d have to search for where it’s even at.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: New Ultrex ipilot - 07/27/22 04:39 AM

I think you will get the small remote initially with it which was an accessory that you normally would have had to buy if you wanted it.
Posted By: bassnman

Re: New Ultrex ipilot - 07/31/22 04:11 PM

Luv my remote. Expecially when fishing by myself. Can jog, etc from the back seat.

Re: New Ultrex ipilot - 07/31/22 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by bassnman
Luv my remote. Expecially when fishing by myself. Can jog, etc from the back seat.

I found out today that you need a smartphone and a remote to update software.

They can’t make it easy.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum