Texas Fishing Forum

less expensive reels

Posted By: J.P. Greeson

less expensive reels - 07/23/22 02:06 PM

Steve Stroman told me about these reels (Shimano Caenan) a number of years ago, so I bought a few to try on my saltwater baitcasting set-ups. I think they were $89 at the time. These things are dang good reels. They remind of the old green Curados, but better. I think I ended up buying 6 or 8 of them. I've given away a few over the years. One of them migrated to my bass fishing arsenal.

Funny story ... one time I sent a few of them to get cleaned. The guy doing the work told me, "I can't believe the guy who owns the Texas Fishing Forum uses these cheap reels." rolleyes On the flip side, what was his name over at Fork, RT or RJ, told me, "Let me polish up the bushings and those reels will cast like a Chronarch." I started off as a Quantum guy and switched to Shimano back in the 90s. Of course, I've bought other brands, but Shimano has always been my favorite. I'm a brand loyal person with most things I buy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: less expensive reels - 07/23/22 02:21 PM

I’ve got a couple from the the same time frame. I don’t know anything about a high end real but I thought these wear pretty good. I still use them. I’ve also got a couple of the citca’s.
Posted By: J Bowen

Re: less expensive reels - 07/23/22 02:59 PM

I always believe the fish doesn’t know the cost or the brand we use. We have to use what is economical. On the funny side, while playing golf with a friend, my friend always carried double the drivers than most and a club pro told him that most of the time it is the Indian and not the arrow.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: less expensive reels - 07/23/22 03:00 PM

Shimano doesn't build a bad reel. I own a couple of those too!
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: less expensive reels - 07/23/22 03:33 PM

The Shimano SLX is my fav reel at this time. Reminds me of the old green curados. smooth, casts well, built tough!
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: less expensive reels - 07/23/22 04:03 PM

I have fished with Shimano reels for the last 30 years and I really love them. My former friend and reel cleaner and tinkerer "R Tee" has cleaned my many reels ever since I came to Texas. Unfortunately, Ralph passed away in early 21 due to covid 19. His son Mark now runs the "Tackle Right" business with his partner Drew.

While transiting from the front of the boat to the back seat I knew I had to be able to cast further. Hitting the bank in a 20' boat pointed at the bank it means a much further cast was needed to reach the zone where the fish were feeding. So, while my scorpions were good, they were not that good to make the longer cast. I then decided to go to the much more expensive Metaniums. But the price is just too high on my retirement budget.

In 2005 I bought two Scorpion Metaniums MG's off Ebay for $150 each and they were my best casters. So once again in 2021 I looked on Ebay and did find some for around $100 including shipping. And I bought two. They came in their original box with the tools, oil, and instructions in Japanese and looked to be pretty near new. So, then I bought two more and am very happy with how far they cast. And then in 22 I bought a Metanium MG for about the same price and condition and they cast even further. I now have five of them including two MG 7's.

About a month ago while fishing a Lake Fork Angler Thursday tournament we got hit with a big storm. The fellows I was fishing with was using his wife's center console that has a very short rear deck. My rods were just leaning on the deck and when he beached the boat the waves came over the rear and the reels were in the water.

I took 7 reels with sand in them to Mark and Drew with the hope that they would be able to get the sand out and re-lubricated them. I have been using then ever since with no problems. Thanks guys!

Re: less expensive reels - 07/23/22 04:47 PM

R Tee. That was him. There was a thread when he passed. Why was it R Tee instead of RT?
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: less expensive reels - 07/23/22 05:31 PM

it was the way he spelled it.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: less expensive reels - 07/23/22 06:23 PM

Daiwa Fuego is a good one too less than $100

Re: less expensive reels - 07/23/22 07:19 PM

I've got a few Diawas. Always liked this SOL.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: less expensive reels - 07/23/22 07:39 PM

Outside of one Daiwa that I haven’t sold yet all of my reels are Shimano’s.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: less expensive reels - 07/23/22 09:26 PM

I bought a Caenan a couple years ago from a guy on the Trading Post Forum and like it so much I bought three more on e-Bay for about $45 each. They are higher now.
Added some ceramic bearings on these and they cast great. Also like the older Citica 200E, also bought off the forum.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: less expensive reels - 07/23/22 10:25 PM

This does not fall into the less expensive category, but it's an older rig I still love to fish. Shimano 50 Mg on a 6'6" medium Kistler Helium. I think this rod is from the first run of Heliums. Not sure how it has survived this long. Great rod for topwaters and shallow running crankbaits.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: NTX Angler

Re: less expensive reels - 07/24/22 12:22 AM

Let me put some ceramic bearings in them they will outcast anything out there. Check out the classifieds under REEL CLEANING AND SUPERTUNING. Just got in a fresh inventory of bearings. They go fast so mows a good time too hot to fish anyways lol.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: less expensive reels - 07/24/22 01:14 AM

I’ve had good luck on some really, really cheap reels from various places. Better luck than with some of the cheaper reels from well known reel manufacturers (like Abu and others). It’s all a [censored] shoot, but there are some deals to be had.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: less expensive reels - 07/24/22 04:07 AM

Really like my old Daiwas!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigLeslie

Re: less expensive reels - 07/24/22 09:26 AM

Exactly what I was looking for this morning, ordered one off Play It Again Sports for $50 plus shipping. eBay was about $30 more for the cheapest I saw.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: less expensive reels - 07/24/22 01:35 PM

Still have a rod box full of stuff from 40 years ago and still use it all. All my newer stuff I give less than $100 and some less than $50,factory refurbished reels off Ebay. I bought a new Lews Laser MG about 5 years ago from Brannon's Bass Shop and that is the last new reel.

Re: less expensive reels - 07/24/22 01:39 PM

I take really good care of my reels and they last for years. If one is having problems I can't fix, I send it off. I usually have 5-12 reels I send anytime I am getting them worked on and I usually do something to upgrade when I send them off, like new and upgraded bearings.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: less expensive reels - 07/24/22 07:41 PM

H2O Mettle was a heck of a reel for the price.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: less expensive reels - 07/24/22 10:14 PM

I gravitated over to Shimano 20 years ago when I found their smooth drags and bearings held up to salt water better than any other brands at the time. Never tried much of the newer stuff from other companies since. Calcutta round reels in all sizes were my go to reels. Bought a Shimano Cardiff 10 years ago when I kept hearing about how good they were for the money. Supposedly has the same gears as calcuttas.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: less expensive reels - 07/25/22 01:11 AM

I still have some Abu round aluminum reels I bought in the used reel bin at Southwest Parts in the 90’s and they are still smooth and working fine. Not too partial to any one brand I have Shimano, Abu, and Daiwa and like them all.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: less expensive reels - 07/25/22 02:32 AM

For under $100, you can't beat the H20 Xpress Mettle reels from Academy
Posted By: wh2004

Re: less expensive reels - 07/25/22 03:08 AM

I bought a new Fuego CT the other day for $80 then turned around and bought another one for $60. Hard to beat for that price.
Posted By: 23Harrison

Re: less expensive reels - 07/25/22 03:23 AM

I love both of my Caenan's. I've never had any problems with any of them!
Posted By: G Love

Re: less expensive reels - 07/25/22 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429

The old ones, yes. The new ones are garbage.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: less expensive reels - 07/25/22 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by G Love

Yeah the ones I do have are the old silver ones, and I had one that was camo (sitting in about 20ft of water right now on a Castaway rod)

I don’t really use them much but they are nice reels for $60
Posted By: meP2too

Re: less expensive reels - 07/26/22 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by SkeeterRonnie
The Shimano SLX is my fav reel at this time. Reminds me of the old green curados. smooth, casts well, built tough!

I’m still using the old green “B series” curado, currently have 8 on all my worm and jig rods, with 6 in storage for parts. All my moving reaction baits are thrown on old MG 50 reel with 9 in the boat and 4 for parts.
I was bummed when Shimano quit servicing these great reels.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: less expensive reels - 07/26/22 02:42 AM

The new Daiwa Fuego CTs are great at their price points.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: less expensive reels - 07/26/22 11:38 PM

The Daiwa CR80 is a fantastic reel for the price.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: less expensive reels - 07/27/22 12:22 AM

I bought eight of the old ones when they were discontinued.
I’ve been using them for years.
I thing I paid like twenty five dollars a piece.
Might have been a little more but it was a long time ago.
Posted By: G Love

Re: less expensive reels - 07/27/22 01:55 PM

Yeah the ones I do have are the old silver ones, and I had one that was camo (sitting in about 20ft of water right now on a Castaway rod)

I don’t really use them much but they are nice reels for $60

I agree those were good reels for the money. Especially when you caught 'em on sale.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum