Texas Fishing Forum

5 year old boat prices

Posted By: Bass Buster1

5 year old boat prices - 07/19/22 08:46 PM

Not bashing anyone for getting what they can get for something they are selling. Just curious if guys are getting now what they paid for a brand new boat 5 years ago? In other words have you fished from your boat for 5 years and are now getting what you paid for it? That is awesome for you if you are but stinks if you are shopping for a deal grin I keep waiting to see boats come down a little but it is not happening...
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/19/22 09:16 PM

I just ran the value on my boat I bought in November that is 10 years old. I checked it a couple of places when I bought it just to make sure that I was paying a fair price for it. I am considering up grading to a new or newer boat this winter with all the latest electronics and trolling motor and when I ran the numbers on my boat this weekend NADA is showing about a $10k increase in the value since I bought it. They were pretty much in line with what I paid for it back in November. I knew it had probably gone up in value based on the numbers I was seeing on boat trader and at the dealers, I just didn't think it was that much though.
Posted By: 361V

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/19/22 09:35 PM

The only time you “get ahead” selling a several year old boat (or vehicle for that matter) for “what you paid” is when its THE LAST BOAT(or vehicle) you ever purchase. The price simply reflects the market(prices). It’s funny when my buddies “brag” about trading in their several year old truck for “what they paid” but then WILL NOT tell me the price of their brand new truck! 🤔🤷‍♂️😜

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/19/22 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by 361V
The only time you “get ahead” selling a several year old boat (or vehicle for that matter) for “what you paid” is when its THE LAST BOAT(or vehicle) you ever purchase. The price simply reflects the market(prices). It’s funny when my buddies “brag” about trading in their several year old truck for “what they paid” but then WILL NOT tell me the price of their brand new truck! 🤔🤷‍♂️😜
I follow the auto industry news daily because my dad was a car dealer in Louisiana when I was a young man. I keep up with it because it reminds me of him. The news I'm seeing right now is that repossessions are at an all time record high, repo companies can't even begin to keep up with the damand for their services.
The used car market has finally started declining as well. The folks I follow pull stats and report them and they are saying most everyone that has purchased a new car or truck in the last year or two is paying the equivelent of another mortgage note for the privlege of riding in a new vehicle even though they got big money on a trade. That is creating a flood of repossessions as I stated earlier. If this trend continues; and I believe it will, there will be a flood of used vehicles at the auction shortly and the used car lots will loaded to the brim with what ever you want and probably cheap.
The other deal they say is looming now is about 3.5 years from when all this started; that will be about the time most people trade again, folks are going to be so upside down in these vehicles if the can afford to keep them they won't be able to trade because the banks and lending institutions will just flat out refuse to do it because of the huge GAP's we've never seen before.. They are affraid this will put a major hurt on the new car market when this happens.
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/19/22 10:03 PM

A buddy of mine had a 2019 Skeeter ZX250 that he paid $60k for brand new. He sold it a few weeks ago for $68.5k. Listed it on Facebook and it was sold in less than 8 hours. To 361V's point, the new Phoenix he just ordered had a stupid price tag on it.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/19/22 10:05 PM

Same with trucks, campers, etc.

Coming to an end soon though with the inevitable recession
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/19/22 10:23 PM

I was fortunate a few years ago to sell my Legend for a little more than I paid for it after running it for 7 years. I also got lucky and got a smoking deal on my Skeeter. Both boats I was patient and bought well under what they booked for..
I've been offered "new boat" money for my Skeeter in the last year or so but if I sold.......... what would I replace it with? Even if I cleared 30k on the sale, I couldn't/wouldn't spend the money they are asking for an equivalent boat today.
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/20/22 12:05 PM

It certainly is crazy. Late 90s Allisons are going for more than they did when new. I can't fathom purchasing a new boat, using it for 25 years, and then making a profit on it but I've seen some guys do it.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/20/22 12:20 PM

I ain't buying again until the used boat market gets right or I sniff out a deal by accident. Then again, I may be boatless forever. Hopefully, I'll find a deal by the time we move.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/20/22 01:00 PM

The boats didn’t rise in value, your money went down in value. For ever dollar paid a few years ago your money is now worth 60 cents. It gives the impression that your boats gaining value but unfortunately it’s one of the few things that just stayed the same.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/20/22 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by leethefishking
The boats didn’t rise in value, your money went down in value. For ever dollar paid a few years ago your money is now worth 60 cents. It gives the impression that your boats gaining value but unfortunately it’s one of the few things that just stayed the same.

That's part of it. The other problems are new boat prices, long wait times if you order a boat and even a limited supply of outboards. Used boats are at a premium due to all these factors.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/20/22 02:21 PM

Clear title on boat, truck, Wife's car, house, rental property, farm equipment, and not a penny of debt.

I get a kick out of the guys that trade one truck for another and convince the Wife that they are brilliant because of the great deal they made and the payment is only $100 more and leave out the part about the 5 year loan with 3 years left is now 6 years. I guess having a dumbed down wife has it's advantages , or maybe not.
Posted By: J-2

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/20/22 02:26 PM

I sold my boat about 6mo ago. It was 5yrs old with 300hrs. I didn’t get what I paid for it but it wasn’t far off. I keep my boats very clean. Really never have an issue with resale.
Posted By: Slicefixer

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/20/22 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
I follow the auto industry news daily because my dad was a car dealer in Louisiana when I was a young man. I keep up with it because it reminds me of him. The news I'm seeing right now is that repossessions are at an all time record high, repo companies can't even begin to keep up with the damand for their services.
The used car market has finally started declining as well. The folks I follow pull stats and report them and they are saying most everyone that has purchased a new car or truck in the last year or two is paying the equivelent of another mortgage note for the privlege of riding in a new vehicle even though they got big money on a trade. That is creating a flood of repossessions as I stated earlier. If this trend continues; and I believe it will, there will be a flood of used vehicles at the auction shortly and the used car lots will loaded to the brim with what ever you want and probably cheap.
The other deal they say is looming now is about 3.5 years from when all this started; that will be about the time most people trade again, folks are going to be so upside down in these vehicles if the can afford to keep them they won't be able to trade because the banks and lending institutions will just flat out refuse to do it because of the huge GAP's we've never seen before.. They are affraid this will put a major hurt on the new car market when this happens.

I'm afraid you're dead on correct Doc. I simply don't understand how so many get themselves so leveraged with debt, especially for "nonessential's."

However, it's none of my business so I never comment, etc.

I have taught my kids the same thing my father taught me, "when it comes to toys.....if ya can't pay cash you probably can't afford it." (obviously MANY exceptions to this rule)

As for boat values......

When I decided to get back into bass fishing a few years back I knew I wanted an aluminum tournament class boat (I fish shallow, junky h20 90+% of the time). I also wanted something I could rebuild into what I wanted. I did a LOT of due diligence, found what I wanted, and bought it for $5k. It's now worth, according to NADA, etc, $12k. I watch FB Classifieds etc pretty closely and they're selling for that, or more (temporarily).
Posted By: flashman252

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/20/22 02:50 PM

Bought an old Nitro z7 stamped for the 200 hp for 14.5k in 2020. Motor only had 97 hours on it (original 150 that came on boat), all it needed was new spark plugs and has ran REALLY good since I purchased. Ran the Nada numbers just the other day out of curiosity and says I could list for 25k. Only owe 9k still on the boat. Was kicking around the idea of selling it myself. Would probably start all over and sell it with all the lowrance units, ultrex and tricks I have added since purchasing and maybe get a few more dollars out of it. Either way blows my mind.

You think boats have gone up, bought a travel trailer same week I bought the boat in 2020. I got a good deal on it because my wife works at an RV dealership, so already not upside down. Looked at that one too, and I could list for 20k profit right now.
Posted By: ETXfisher91

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/20/22 03:02 PM

I am about to sell my bay boat... I bought it for 48k back in June 2020... They are now going for 62-70k depending on condition and accessories. So ill be making around a 17k profit.

I am going just get a 16ft flat bottom and then get another boat at the beginning of next year (after the recession is in place and things are going for cheap).
Posted By: flashman252

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/20/22 03:05 PM

Everything will come back down at some point. It might drag on longer than we want it too. But this would not be the time I buy a boat or a toy because when it does come down, you better want to hang onto it for a good while. Wont be able to get out of it without taking a loss. I have kicked around the idea of upgrading as well, just don't have the energy to do it and the boat and trailer work really good for me still. But if I was a smart financial person, I would sell both, hang onto profit and watch netflix for the next two years and then go buy a much better boat and trailer and be in the same or lower payments.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/20/22 03:18 PM

I paid 18K for a 2005 skeeter in 2008. I could sell it now for 18-20K and i have used it for the last 15 years..
Posted By: Bigguy1

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/20/22 08:31 PM

boats have been nuts with everything else the last 2 yrs Sold my boat and the guy resold it a couple months later for 20% more than I sold it to him for

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/20/22 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
Originally Posted by leethefishking

That's part of it. The other problems are new boat prices, long wait times if you order a boat and even a limited supply of outboards. Used boats are at a premium due to all these factors.

Yep I've already been told at least 14 weeks at 3 different dealerships if I buy new. If it is still that way around December anything with the latest electronics and brushless trolling motor will be fair game. I can't go without a boat that long, especially chasing a tournament trail.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/21/22 01:13 AM

The problem begins with the Idiots currently in charge of the USA. That is why everything is so out of control.

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/21/22 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by flashman252
Bought an old Nitro z7 stamped for the 200 hp for 14.5k in 2020. Motor only had 97 hours on it (original 150 that came on boat), all it needed was new spark plugs and has ran REALLY good since I purchased. Ran the Nada numbers just the other day out of curiosity and says I could list for 25k. Only owe 9k still on the boat. Was kicking around the idea of selling it myself. Would probably start all over and sell it with all the lowrance units, ultrex and tricks I have added since purchasing and maybe get a few more dollars out of it. Either way blows my mind.

You think boats have gone up, bought a travel trailer same week I bought the boat in 2020. I got a good deal on it because my wife works at an RV dealership, so already not upside down. Looked at that one too, and I could list for 20k profit right now.

I have my current ride paid for and kicked around the idea of buying an under 30 foot class C motor home to pull my boat instead of up grading my pickup. I figured it would be my home away from home when I was fishing.........This is kind of how that went when I saw the price tags. roflmao bang flush breakdance loco nuts
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/21/22 09:59 AM

My Triton is 20 yrs old and it still looks good
Posted By: patriot07

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/21/22 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit 200 XP
My Triton is 20 yrs old and it still looks good

Yeah my 1997 Triton isn't going anywhere. 25th birthday this year
Posted By: BMCD

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/21/22 12:54 PM

Its definitely a wash if your buying a new one. New prices are way out there.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/21/22 02:08 PM

Hell my 1 year old ZXR20 is worth almost $15000 more than when I bought it. Crazy times.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/21/22 03:19 PM

I did not get an inflated price for the last boat I sold, I think I had 95K in it, it was two years old and I sold it for 75 K, I was ok with that, I think I could have got more but I did not want to have to take people out for rides, bicker over price etc. So that boat cost me over 800 a month and it was paid for, that sucks, I think I will hang onto the new rig that I have now for quite awhile.

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/21/22 03:52 PM

Guess I will keep fishing my 30 year old paid for Javelin 389T (18' 9") a couple more years and hope prices come down at some point. My boat still floats, runs great, all the important stuff works, and I catch a bunch of fish, it is just small when the wind is up and small when I want to take more than one person fishing with me.
Posted By: metalruch1

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/21/22 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
The problem begins with the Idiots currently in charge of the USA. That is why everything is so out of control.

I love this type of reply... it is so simple... I wish I would of thought of this!! Never mind Market Day Supply or the laws of Supply and Demand.

The buyer controls the market...PERIOD. If people would stop paying the prices that are out there then the prices would go down...however, most people don't want to wait and therefore Sellers are reaping the benefits...and just to get it out of the way, I am a republican voter.

My point being, stop regurgitating dumb political rhetoric guy spewing simple, thoughtless views. Bring something original or with educated points...just my 2 cents...

I have my popcorn ready for all the hate about to be pointed my way. ezbassin, I'm sure you are a great dude... I'm just tired of this type of reply with out substance.But, based on what I just said, I doubt you care.

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/21/22 06:34 PM

Republican/Dem voter matters not anymore. What matters is are you a God loving, family loving, Neighbor loving, conservative thinking, church going, patriot who votes with those values at the core of who you are? When we get back to values and doing the right thing because of those values, then we will be making progress as a people and as a country! flag
Posted By: hopalong

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/21/22 07:39 PM

no idea what my 95 202 is worth or will be worth once the 300 goes on back. I don't even know what number would get me to think about it, but it would have to be around 40 for starters.

about to put skeeter ronnies yamajama on back, bought it a couple of days ago. then the boat will be complete.

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/21/22 09:35 PM

This boat market at some point will go into the same thing the auto market is doing right now. The free market system working the way it does and always has will force a price reversal at some point and I think prices will drive part of that but also I believe with in a year or two the a lot of folks that bought bass boats recently; most probably never owning one, will relize what they've stepped off in to as far as the cost vs the amount of time they get to use a rig and start dumping them on the market. I wouldn't be surprised at all if dealers and Boat Trader are flooded with used rigs forcing a sharp decline in about a year or less.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/21/22 11:43 PM

This boat market at some point will go into the same thing the auto market is doing right now. The free market system working the way it does and always has will force a price reversal at some point and I think prices will drive part of that but also I believe with in a year or two the a lot of folks that bought bass boats recently; most probably never owning one, will relize what they've stepped off in to as far as the cost vs the amount of time they get to use a rig and start dumping them on the market. I wouldn't be surprised at all if dealers and Boat Trader are flooded with used rigs forcing a sharp decline in about a year or less.

Where is the automobile market crash, dang sure isn’t at the dealerships.

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/21/22 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout

According to the numbers nationally there is a 25% decline in sales over this time last year and most of that came in the past couple of months, It's happening. The market is about to be flooded with repo cars and trucks as well, most of that being driven by folks signing up for auto payments as big as their mortgage payments. They say the repo companies are swamped. I follow the auto news daily because my dad was an auto dealer.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/22/22 12:09 AM

If the economy crashes like it did back in 08'-09' the used market will crash for about 3-4 years. As for the new market, prices won't drop but several manufacturers will fold. Then after the 3-4 year recovery sharp price increases will start all over again for both used and new due to slumping sales over that time period.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/22/22 12:34 AM

When people struggle to meet their bills and shedding the boat note helps boats will go down. It’s likely to happen in the next 18 months. But then who knows.

Those who were living on 110% of what they make are now living on about 30%.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/22/22 12:51 AM

According to the numbers nationally there is a 25% decline in sales over this time last year and most of that came in the past couple of months, It's happening. The market is about to be flooded with repo cars and trucks as well, most of that being driven by folks signing up for auto payments as big as their mortgage payments. They say the repo companies are swamped. I follow the auto news daily because my dad was an auto dealer.

So this is the used car market?
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/22/22 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by metalruch1
Originally Posted by ezbassin

I love this type of reply... it is so simple... I wish I would of thought of this!! Never mind Market Day Supply or the laws of Supply and Demand.

The buyer controls the market...PERIOD. If people would stop paying the prices that are out there then the prices would go down...however, most people don't want to wait and therefore Sellers are reaping the benefits...and just to get it out of the way, I am a republican voter.

My point being, stop regurgitating dumb political rhetoric guy spewing simple, thoughtless views. Bring something original or with educated points...just my 2 cents...

I have my popcorn ready for all the hate about to be pointed my way. ezbassin, I'm sure you are a great dude... I'm just tired of this type of reply with out substance.But, based on what I just said, I doubt you care.

Question......was America this out of control when Trump was President?????? I don't think so. You tell me, are you happy with the cost of everything these days.....Way inflated but you are ok with that I guess from your response.

Sounds like you are a Biden supporter, even though you "claim" to be a republican supporter. Several rhinos in congress claim to be Republicans also but always vote if favor of the Democraps.

You said my reply has no substance......How much was gas prices, auto prices, wood prices, food prices etc. etc. when Trump was in office and how do they compare to now......???? There is your substance. Can you not see that????????? Are you that blind???
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/22/22 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
no idea what my 95 202 is worth or will be worth once the 300 goes on back. I don't even know what number would get me to think about it, but it would have to be around 40 for starters.

about to put skeeter ronnies yamajama on back, bought it a couple of days ago. then the boat will be complete.

That is a good motor, rebuild on it is bullet proof
Posted By: SC-001

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/22/22 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by T-racer @ Mallard Marine
It certainly is crazy. Late 90s Allisons are going for more than they did when new. I can't fathom purchasing a new boat, using it for 25 years, and then making a profit on it but I've seen some guys do it.

Its happening, I have a 2007 model I bought used, I just sold for more than I bought it for in 2015.

Re: 5 year old boat prices - 07/22/22 11:04 PM

So this is the used car market?
I think it was across the board total if I remember right. Carmax just reported revenue numbers and their sales were way off but they had record profits. They were running about a $1300 profit per unit before all this covid [censored] and now they are running around $6k per unit according to the numbers I saw today. How long can that last? I don't know but you can only stretch the car buying public so far and that is showing up in the repo numbers.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum