Texas Fishing Forum

I caught an unexpected bass, but now I want to try and catch one

Posted By: oldnewguy

I caught an unexpected bass, but now I want to try and catch one - 07/19/22 07:55 PM

My daughter and I just started fishing together. Local ponds with live worms and simple bobbers. We've mostly caught sunfish, and a few occasional catfish. Out of nowhere, I caught a largemouth bass. Surprising, but fun

Now that I know there's at least one, I think I'll actually *try* and catch one sometimes. I'm guessing my first one was a fluke. What would be some lures or bait for a beginner to actively fish for bass?

And I understand there's probably no simple answer, but I'm just looking for a starting place.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: I caught an unexpected bass, but now I want to try and catch one - 07/19/22 08:07 PM

Catch a small bream with tiny hook, then change to bigger hook and hook bream through dorsal fin.

Posted By: sprigsss

Re: I caught an unexpected bass, but now I want to try and catch one - 07/19/22 09:13 PM

If I could only go out with 1 rod fishing from the shore of a pond, I'd have a weightless green pumpkin senko tied on.
Posted By: 361V

Re: I caught an unexpected bass, but now I want to try and catch one - 07/19/22 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by sprigsss
If I could only go out with 1 rod fishing from the shore of a pond, I'd have a weightless green pumpkin senko tied on.

This^^^or a spinnerbait or a little 1.5 squarebill crankbait. Maybe a little topwater(popper, buzzbait…) early in the morning. All stuff you can get at any Walmart. Start simple! Those pond bass are not usually to smart(“conditioned”). Warning: it’s addictive!
Posted By: NateRich5797

Re: I caught an unexpected bass, but now I want to try and catch one - 07/19/22 11:23 PM

There's about 1,000,000 different ways to catch bass. I'll try and keep this as simple as possible. If I were just starting out bass fishing I would want people to introduce me to three set ups.

1. Texas Rig with a stick bait. I would use a 1/4 weight with either a 3/0 or a 4/0 hook. 5" Yum Dinger for the stick bait.

2. Wacky Rig with a stick bait. I would use the weedless wacky hooks by VMC in size 1/0 or 2/0. 5" Yum Dinger for the stick bait.

3. Zoom Fluke for the bait. Put it on a 4/0 EWG hook. Cast it out, and twitch it all the way back to you.

This is just something to get you started. All three set ups can be rigged weedless as well, so you won't have to spend every other cast ripping vegetation off of the hook. Good luck!
Posted By: reelfast

Re: I caught an unexpected bass, but now I want to try and catch one - 07/20/22 01:12 AM

Lol !!! Every Bass I’ve caught has been unexpected !! But a hell’va experience.
Posted By: pop r

Re: I caught an unexpected bass, but now I want to try and catch one - 07/20/22 01:26 AM

Blk/yellow H&H spinner bait
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: I caught an unexpected bass, but now I want to try and catch one - 07/20/22 01:28 AM

It's a pond. Yall need to think back and remember where we ALL started. Get a small beetle spin or a rooster tail. It will catch everything that swims especially bass. Throw it on a fairly light spinning rod or even a push button like a zebco. It's pond fishing at its finest.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: I caught an unexpected bass, but now I want to try and catch one - 07/20/22 01:41 AM

Senko or a fluke on a 3/0 extra wide gap hook. Work it like a dying fish on the surface, cast it out and just let it sink, or jerk-jerk pause. A weightless Texas Rig soft plastic is one of the most versatile bass catching baits ever invented.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: I caught an unexpected bass, but now I want to try and catch one - 07/20/22 01:42 AM

Oh, you've started down a path that can lead to obsession!
Posted By: GTrigg

Re: I caught an unexpected bass, but now I want to try and catch one - 07/20/22 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by David Burton
Oh, you've started down a path that can lead to obsession!

Congrats on the catch and welcome to the world of obsession, you'll never regret joining the club..... fish
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: I caught an unexpected bass, but now I want to try and catch one - 07/20/22 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by David Burton
Senko or a fluke on a 3/0 extra wide gap hook. Work it like a dying fish on the surface, cast it out and just let it sink, or jerk-jerk pause. A weightless Texas Rig soft plastic is one of the most versatile bass catching baits ever invented.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: BASS101

Re: I caught an unexpected bass, but now I want to try and catch one - 07/20/22 05:11 PM

Small Swimbaits like the smaller Largo shad with a light 1/8oz jig head and just reel it back slow. As well with small spinner or beetle spin like mentioned above.
Posted By: Bigguy1

Re: I caught an unexpected bass, but now I want to try and catch one - 07/20/22 08:32 PM

senko weightless or light weight and texas rigged...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum