Texas Fishing Forum

Best lure ever?

Posted By: fishing adventurestv

Best lure ever? - 07/09/22 04:08 PM

Is an in-line spinner the best lure ever? I think so! What’s your go-to lure?

Posted By: Jonah's View

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/09/22 04:31 PM

it is a good one for sure !... I have in the boat my ultra-light spinning rod, 4lb test and a white #2 Rooster Tail, when the bite is real slow I will bust that out and catch crappies, bluegills, bass, gizzard shad, drum, catfish...basically everything in the lake will take a smack at it...
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/09/22 05:15 PM

The biggest stringer of bass I ever caught was on a Rooster Tail. I stood on the bank of the Ouachita River at home where a small lake spillway culvert drained into the river. There was a ball of shad about two to three feet wide swimming in the mouth of the culvert. I'd let out about 2 feet of line and just drop that rooster tail through the shad and one would drill it instantly. I must have caught nearly a 100 bass that day. They were all about a pound each. About every third fish was a chain pickerel.
SandBass/White Bass I couldn't even begin to count how many I've caught on one of these.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/09/22 07:43 PM

Hard to beat the versatility of a senko. Try dragging that yankee bait through a brush pile or skipping under docks.

….pond guys! I tell ya. roflmao
Posted By: fishing adventurestv

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/09/22 10:09 PM

If you just want to catch.. it’s the best
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/09/22 11:03 PM

That's gonna go to Nick Creme...
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/09/22 11:39 PM

Senko
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/09/22 11:53 PM

Jig. I can drag it, stroke it, flip it, swim it, punch it, and sometimes just let it soak. It flat out catches fish.

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/10/22 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by horseplaydvm
Jig. I can drag it, stroke it, flip it, swim it, punch it, and sometimes just let it soak. It flat out catches fish.

That’s a solid choice. Very versatile. Cold water/hot water. Deep/shallow. Excellent choice actually
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/10/22 12:10 AM

Fluke
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/10/22 01:09 PM

In all my years of fishing from top to bottom and Guiding for 40 years I would say the best lure I have seen in my lifetime would have to be the Z Man Chatter Bait.

We have caught fish on it in every month of the year cold to hot months and from 1 ft to 28 ft.

Understanding what is in the water is probably the most important thing that makes the Chatter Bait be so productive.

So that being said it is IMO the best bait I have ever seen in my lifetime so far.

Lots of good baits that work but hard to find many that work in so many ways and can be so versatile and in every month of the year. IMO
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/10/22 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell
In all my years of fishing from top to bottom and Guiding for 40 years I would say the best lure I have seen in my lifetime would have to be the Z Man Chatter Bait.

We have caught fish on it in every month of the year cold to hot months and from 1 ft to 28 ft.

Understanding what is in the water is probably the most important thing that makes the Chatter Bait be so productive.

So that being said it is IMO the best bait I have ever seen in my lifetime so far.

Lots of good baits that work but hard to find many that work in so many ways and can be so versatile and in every month of the year. IMO

Coming from a guy who makes money on selling jigs, that is quite a testimonial.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/10/22 06:00 PM

Maybe for sand bass
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/11/22 12:52 PM

He forgot to put the last five words in the heading...for bass under 10 inches.
Posted By: NateRich5797

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/11/22 05:34 PM

My vote goes to the Senko, or any other stick bait of your choice. The different amount of ways to fish them make it king.
Posted By: LFA17

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/11/22 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckhunter

Creme worm has to be it. Original and scoundrel are why bass fishing exploded way back in the 50's and 60's. The original had a prop and multiple hooks embedded and attached by mono. Hooks exposed. Finally the texas rig came about. I don't remember the individual who is responsible for the texas rig, but what a big deal it was.

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/11/22 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by LFA17

Creme worm has to be it. Original and scoundrel are why bass fishing exploded way back in the 50's and 60's. The original had a prop and multiple hooks embedded and attached by mono. Hooks exposed. Finally the texas rig came about. I don't remember the individual who is responsible for the texas rig, but what a big deal it was.

That makes it innovative, not the best.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/11/22 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

Crème was often considered the original “rubber worm” and the fact that “ARGUABLY” plastic worms have accounted for more bass than any other lure then I see how one could spin it “Crème worms are the greatest bass lure ever”!

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/11/22 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by 361V

Crème was often considered the original “rubber worm” and the fact that “ARGUABLY” plastic worms have accounted for more bass than any other lure then I see how one could spin it “Crème worms are the greatest bass lure ever”!

It’s the original. Not the best. Kinda like the first spot lock trolling motors, compared to todays top end units. Or the first baitcaster to todays top end Diana’s and Shimano’s.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/11/22 11:13 PM

cheers
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/12/22 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by 361V

I would venture to bet that more have been caught on Zoom baits than creme.
Posted By: fish hard for fun

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/12/22 08:34 PM

MEPPS Spinners have been responsible for a bunch of sportfish state records over the years. Burn them on the top, jig them up and down vertically, or just drag them around and you are likely to catch something. Big trout love them in the rain and pike eat them like candy. Not sure if in-line spinners are the best lures ever but right up there. As a kid my best lure ever was a Dying Flutter. Guess it might qualify as an in-line spinner.

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/12/22 08:43 PM

Boy had this become an ol geezer topic - “well Sonnie, I remember sitting in old this and that creek and we’d catch ‘em by the boat full on a crème worm! It has to be the best because it’s what I remember my first bass on when I was a wee lad and my Paw took me fishin!”……. Welcome to geezer-ville
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/12/22 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
The biggest stringer of bass I ever caught was on a Rooster Tail. I stood on the bank of the Ouachita River at home where a small lake spillway culvert drained into the river. There was a ball of shad about two to three feet wide swimming in the mouth of the culvert. I'd let out about 2 feet of line and just drop that rooster tail through the shad and one would drill it instantly. I must have caught nearly a 100 bass that day. They were all about a pound each. About every third fish was a chain pickerel.
SandBass/White Bass I couldn't even begin to count how many I've caught on one of these.

So a 5 pound stringer. Nice
Posted By: boocat

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/12/22 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
Boy had this become an ol geezer topic - “well Sonnie, I remember sitting in old this and that creek and we’d catch ‘em by the boat full on a crème worm! It has to be the best because it’s what I remember my first bass on when I was a wee lad and my Paw took me fishin!”……. Welcome to geezer-ville

You'll get there, God willing, and it's a good thing. I was just telling my sis last night about sitting in some no name cafe in some no name little town, during what seemed like the middle of the night with my dad after a fishing trip having my first BLT sandwich, it was awesome.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/12/22 09:05 PM

-Live night crawler if we are going best of the best. No respectable fish will turn down a fat nightcrawler!

-If we are going lure like the heading says, has to be some sort of plastic either fluke, sluggo, senko, style bait. Senko style is probably the most versatile of those because you can fish it like a jerk bait, Crig, Texas rig, shallow, deep, on a jig head, no weight, wacky, etc... and all of those presentations work. Best color has to be some version of watermelon or green pumpkin. This is coming from a guy who would rather catch them on a spinner bait or buzz bait any day but the fact is the plastic works!
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/12/22 09:18 PM

Lucky Craft rc 1.5
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/12/22 10:08 PM

If I had new tennis balls on my walker I would hobble over there and thump you on the head!! roflmao

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/12/22 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by wh2004

Rough crowd.....

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/12/22 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.

If I had new tennis balls on my walker I would hobble over there and thump you on the head!! roflmao

roflmao roflmao I’m kidding. I’m very grateful for the wisdom that comes from the older generation. Especially in fishing. Fishing is unique in the perspectives the generations have given us but also in how the older generations have embraced newer technology. Fishing is unique.

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/12/22 10:25 PM

roflmao roflmao I’m kidding. I’m very grateful for the wisdom that comes from the older generation. Especially in fishing. Fishing is unique in the perspectives the generations have given us but also in how the older generations have embraced newer technology. Fishing is unique.

Ah Brah you know I love ya. wink
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/12/22 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by wh2004

Rough crowd.....

For sure roflmao
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/12/22 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by 512 Adventures
If you just want to catch.. it’s the best

Depends on where you are fishing.
Posted By: Carl caught a bass

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/13/22 12:06 AM

If my life depended on me catching a fish then the Roostertail wins hands down.
It will catch fish from tiny mountain streams all the way to saltwater, and
everywhere in between.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/13/22 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Carl caught a bass
If my life depended on me catching a fish then the Roostertail wins hands down.
It will catch fish from tiny mountain streams all the way to saltwater, and
everywhere in between.

Might be better off with a flukestertail in this situation.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: G Love

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/13/22 01:38 PM

Idk if it's the best, but if it eats shad, I have caught it on a 1/2oz Bill Lewis Rat-L-Trap. Even caught a Buffalo on one once. Like inhaled it.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/13/22 06:07 PM

Plastic worm period.

You can fish it weighless, pegged, and Trigged. There is not a fishing scenario that a plastic worm can't be used in. Not many other baits you can say that about.
Posted By: Tom Lombardo

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/14/22 05:27 PM

Spot on Marc, People that catch sand bass or 10 inch fish are in the wrong spot. Cant fix stupid
Posted By: mossyback75

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/14/22 07:38 PM

Banjo Minna

Even when they are not hungry

just let it die
Posted By: CADD

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/14/22 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by mossyback75
Banjo Minna

just let it die

https://www.buybanjominnow.com/ smile
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/15/22 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by CADD
Originally Posted by mossyback75
Banjo Minna

just let it die

https://www.buybanjominnow.com/ smile

No one mentions the Roland Martin Helicopter Lure?

I'm shocked I tell you... SHOCKED!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVmHs65Ec2Y
Posted By: yandeltx

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/15/22 01:16 AM

What….,,,,no love for the H&H spinner?
Posted By: NateRich5797

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/15/22 04:48 PM

The Berkley 7" Power Worm has been tearin' em up since Nam! The ribbontail is an oldie but goldie. Also have to throw some love out to the grub. That's another classic winner right there that can catch you several different species and sizes.
Posted By: Slicefixer

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/16/22 04:25 AM

/\/\/\100%/\/\/\

Overall, a plastic worm, but, man I love to pitch a jig......
Posted By: prosise

Re: Best lure ever? - 07/16/22 01:52 PM

Hands down the best lure ever is the one that you see your (son,gransdon,grand daughter, etc) use when they catch their PB.. Or it could be the lure you caught your PB with. You will never forget that.....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum