Texas Fishing Forum

TFF Bass Survey (Results)

Posted By: Mark Jones

TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/08/22 11:06 PM

We had almost 400 responses to this and it's a great peek into the data for the bass section here on TFF.

1. 53% of you fish 1-5 days a month and 31% 6-10 days a month which is in line with our averages from when we did the survey two years ago.

2. Over 66% compete in bass tournaments with the majority 68% fishing local tournaments. Bass club's come in strong second with 47%. Team tournaments are the largest format at 78% of responses.

3. Only 39% of members have traveled out of state to complete in events.

4. The board is “experienced” with over 76% of respondents 45+ sarcastic

5. Over 69% of households earn more than $100,000

6. 93% are boat owners, with Skeeter 25%, Ranger 15%, Triton 10%, BassCat 9% and Nitro 8% rounding out the top 5. (Phoenix at 4%)

7. Mercury the leader with 55% and Yamaha at 37%

8. MinnKota the leader on the trolling motor side at 73%, with MotorGuide 13% and Lowrance at 9%

9. PowerPole takes the shallow water anchor category with 39% and Talon at 8%, with a whopping 49% with no shallow water anchor

10. Strong race on the electronics with Humminbird & Lowrance tied 37% with Garmin at 18% (Many of you listed having 2 of these brands together)

11. 99% of respondents have a tow vehicle with Ford in the lead at 33%, Chevy at 26% (Let's go Monte/Moritz!) and Toyota at 15%

12. Top 3 favorite rods brands are: Dobyns 17.84%, Falcon 17.35% and G Loomis at 9%, all others received less that 5% of votes

13. Top 3 favorite reel brands are: Shimano 34%, Lews 24% and Abu at 14% (Daiwa in 4th at 12%)

14. Top 3 favorite bait brands are: Zoom 37%, Strike King 15% and Berkley at 8%, all others under 5%

15. Facebook, YouTube and Instagram were all over 50%+ and the major social platforms anglers are visiting (TikTok making a move over two years ago with over 15% on that platform now)

16. Top websites are: Bassmaster 80%, MLF 60% and Wired at 48%

17. Over 62% have attended a pro event.

18. Top 3 TV Shows: MLF 37%, BASS 33% and Honey Hole at 6%, all others under 5%

19. Only 11% are planning for a major purchase this year of either boat or tow vehicle with tow vehicle being the top choice of those looking

20. Top 3 retailers were a virtual tie with Academy, BPS/CAB and Tackle Warehouse

21. Over 92% of respondents have shopped online this year

22. 51% of the board indicated being impacted by gas/inflation with the top responses of reduced travel, reduced number of tournament events, less pre-fishing and fishing much closer to home. Additionally, there were some pretty funny responses regarding our current administration that I won't share here but you know who you are. roflmao

Thanks to everyone who participated!

And lastly, Darren Heavner was the winner of the $100 BPS gift card. Congrats! cheers
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/08/22 11:12 PM

I demand a recount

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/08/22 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
I demand a recount

roflmao
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/08/22 11:32 PM

thumb
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/08/22 11:57 PM

These are always interesting. Thanks for posting the results.
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/09/22 12:17 AM

Thanks Mark , very informative. However point #4, would be more respectful with "old" replaced with "experienced". clap

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/09/22 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Flip-n-go
Thanks Mark , very informative. However point #4, would be more respectful with "old" replaced with "experienced". clap

Done thumb
Posted By: HookaToad

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/09/22 01:31 AM

WAIT...i found some more responses.....I encourage eveyone to meet up at bass pro shops in grapevine to set this straight....
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/09/22 01:52 AM

Bass fishing is for survey takers

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/09/22 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by HookaToad
WAIT...i found some more responses.....I encourage eveyone to meet up at bass pro shops in grapevine to set this straight....

Lol
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/09/22 03:55 AM

45+ is considered “old”. bang I could see 60+ being considered old, but definitely not 45+.

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/09/22 04:13 AM

I may be 57 years old...but I have the body of an 85 year old
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/09/22 07:43 AM

I'm 57 as well and my wife says I have the maturity level of a 13 year old.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/09/22 03:24 PM

Ha! That beats me Tim! roflmao

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/09/22 04:11 PM

13 huh? Teenager.. that would make you my older brother
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/09/22 05:50 PM

thumb flag. The cost of fuel effected me some what and I had to cut back but if I weren't starting my own business strictly from my back pocket,I could have kept on rolling. By the end of th year I should be back to normal.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/09/22 06:41 PM

#4 = you can say that again! This place has become geezer central in the last few years. Massive group of get off my lawn old geezers here.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/09/22 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
#4 = you can say that again! This place has become geezer central in the last few years. Massive group of get off my lawn old geezers here.

EHHHH? WWWHHHAAAAATTTTT? Yep. She sure is!
Posted By: otay michael

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/10/22 03:25 AM

I believe you spelled my name wrong, it's spelled 'Michael Seewald", not "Darren Heavner" banana OMG
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/11/22 02:19 AM

Blue Hairs!
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/11/22 03:35 AM

roflmao
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/11/22 01:31 PM

I'm curious in past years what the response to #19 (Plan for a major purchase) was? 11% seems low given the number of brand new boats I see being towed by brand new trucks at every tournament. With that said I have no real reference point.

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/11/22 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
I'm curious in past years what the response to #19 (Plan for a major purchase) was? 11% seems low given the number of brand new boats I see being towed by brand new trucks at every tournament. With that said I have no real reference point.

The last time we did the survey in the fall of 2020, the results were 20.47% planned a major purchase of boat or tow vehicle in 2021. It's clear to see the impact of the current economic climate on the responses to that question. Had we have done the Survey in 2021, it likely would have been higher at that time as well.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/11/22 03:43 PM

If 45 is the new old...then I need to buy me some New Balance sneakers, a cane, and some depends.

Down right no respect for the elderly around here. roflmao
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/11/22 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Jones

The last time we did the survey in the fall of 2020, the results were 20.47% planned a major purchase of boat or tow vehicle in 2021. It's clear to see the impact of the current economic climate on the responses to that question. Had we have done the Survey in 2021, it likely would have been higher at that time as well.

Very interesting indeed. That's a substantial drop. About what I would have guessed though. Thanks for the info!

Re: TFF Bass Survey (Results) - 07/12/22 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Jones

Very interesting indeed. That's a substantial drop. About what I would have guessed though. Thanks for the info!

cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum