Texas Fishing Forum

Toothpick Trick For Bass

Posted By: 1956Zebco

Toothpick Trick For Bass - 06/15/22 08:54 PM

I don't see this much in the way we used to do it (shown) with oil. We used to simply toss it out in front of the cattails or weeds or off the bank and wait if we had water movement. Otherwise reel it like any other worm. I tossed one I made for the video off the bank after making the video and got one (below) on the first cast so it still works fine. Probably works better with some of the attractants they have now (I haven't used this since the 70's - we always used minnow oil).

Good luck with your fishing.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gt2003

Re: Toothpick Trick For Bass - 06/15/22 09:00 PM

Check that out, a Tru-turn hook! LOVE IT. Great tip too. I'm going to have to try it now. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Toothpick Trick For Bass - 06/15/22 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by gt2003
Check that out, a Tru-turn hook! LOVE IT. Great tip too. I'm going to have to try it now. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome and have fun with it. If you've got more modern attractants I'm curious about how well they work with this. Got that bass with the trusty 50+ year Zebco 33 at my feet . . .
Posted By: Poodle

Re: Toothpick Trick For Bass - 06/15/22 09:17 PM

That is the only hook I use for my texas rigged worms and when i am flipping a bandito bug. Getting hard to find.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Toothpick Trick For Bass - 06/15/22 09:33 PM

Thx for the tip!
Posted By: SRitchey

Re: Toothpick Trick For Bass - 06/16/22 12:57 AM

Cool...makes sense to me. thumb
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Toothpick Trick For Bass - 06/16/22 01:11 AM

thumb
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Toothpick Trick For Bass - 06/16/22 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Poodle

That is the only hook I use for my texas rigged worms and when i am flipping a bandito bug. Getting hard to find.

FishUSA has your bugs, $4.19 a pack.
Land Big Fish, $5.99
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Toothpick Trick For Bass - 06/16/22 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Topwater2

Land Big Fish, $5.99

I think he’s speaking about the tru-turn hooks
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Toothpick Trick For Bass - 06/16/22 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bayou Burner
Originally Posted by Topwater2

Land Big Fish, $5.99

I think he’s speaking about the tru-turn hooks

FishUSA has True Turn Hooks.

Re: Toothpick Trick For Bass - 06/16/22 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
thumb
-- Thanks Banker, and the rest of you guys too.

Evidently a lot of you are going to do this (and that's great) - one request: when you catch bass with it, come back to this string(er) and let us know what attractant you put on the toothpick. I'm really curious about that and sure others are too.
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Toothpick Trick For Bass - 06/16/22 03:51 PM

great video! appreciate the post
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Toothpick Trick For Bass - 06/16/22 08:35 PM

So you rig worm weightless, no slip sinker?

Re: Toothpick Trick For Bass - 06/16/22 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jimfishes
So you rig worm weightless, no slip sinker?

We used to leave it on the bottom by weeds or cattails weightless (if we had water flow to keep the tail wiggling). Otherwise, just fished like a worm - you can fish it any way you fish your normal worm setup (don't overthink it this - just fish it and have fun). The fish above I simply casted out weightless, waited for it to hit the bottom - waited a few seconds, reeled, waited a few seconds reeled, and it hit. Texas, Carolina, any of that is fine - we're just keeping that tail wiggling with scent as it bumps along. Any of the below ideas - fine - it really does it's own work.

[Linked Image]

One of the meat fishing techniques taught to me by this guy:

[Linked Image]

Matthew Preston Vickers - fishing guide 1919-41 Lake Apopka, Florida & Clermont Chain Of Lakes (Grandfather).

Good luck out there and let us know how you fished it and what you got. Experiment with it - you guys fish often and can take this a lot further than we ever did and I'm interested in seeing what you all do with it. We were hooking the worms with regular hooks and saltwater stuff (whatever we had at that time). Good luck!
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Toothpick Trick For Bass - 06/17/22 12:29 PM

cool tip thanks cheers
Posted By: greenen

Re: Toothpick Trick For Bass - 06/17/22 06:24 PM

At Tru-turn and a Culprit was a good combo but that was a line twisting rig!
Posted By: june-bug

Re: Toothpick Trick For Bass - 06/17/22 08:04 PM

Never seen that before but looks good. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Toothpick Trick For Bass - 06/18/22 12:34 AM

I have a 3700 full of tru turn brute hooks 2 to 5 ought from the late 80 s lol

Re: Toothpick Trick For Bass - 06/18/22 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by basscaster46
I have a 3700 full of tru turn brute hooks 2 to 5 ought from the late 80 s lol

I really had no idea it was a big deal when I tied that thing on. I took a 40 year layoff from freshwater fishing, just came back to it when we move up to Lake Eufaula after living on the Gulf. Have boxes of them too so mine would be 70's vintage I suppose. Still have my original jelly worms, etc., and I'm fishing with and packages of stuff with pictures of deceased bass pros of old on them. The stuff still catches.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Toothpick Trick For Bass - 06/19/22 01:38 PM

Great tip! Thanks for sharing.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum