Texas Fishing Forum

What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished?

Posted By: Okie Poke

What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 02:42 PM

I would have to say Falcon Lake for me. There’s been some darned good ones that were at its peak, but I missed fishing some of them. I’ve only lived here since 2000. The ones that come to mind that I have missed are Choke Canyon and OH Ivie. Lake Fork comes in at a close 2nd, but Falcon beats it for me from 2006 up until 2013. Seven years of phenomenal fishing and big fish fishing. During Lake Fork’s heyday, I spent 6 years enjoying a wonderful fishery from 1989-1995. Ever since the bass virus in ‘95 or so, that lake hasn’t been the same. Kinda like the Dallas Cowboys, 😂. Other great fisheries that I was able to take advantage when it was on was Lake Alan Henry, Monticello, and Lake Lewisville. Lake Lewisville…….haha. Yes, at one point I thought that lake was as good as any in the state. Same with GV Lake. GV was real good to me for 10 years. Lewisville was good for maybe two years. I believe added fishing pressure has adversely affected these two DFW area lakes.

Thank you, Texas, for providing a great number of lakes that are or were great fisheries. It’s been darned fun. For the future, I hope lakes continue to cycle at their maximum potential for the next generation, that the younger folks get to enjoy what we got to enjoy for so many years.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 02:58 PM

Never fished it, but I imagine Amistad was magical when full of water and vegetation.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 03:01 PM

No doubt.
Toledo Bend.
GP had lake front property after the lake filled.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 03:01 PM

Probably Fork in the fall, Cypress Springs, and Holbrook.
Posted By: Sim69z28

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 03:09 PM

E.V. Spence when it was a lake in early 1990’s. Big water. Caught Stripers every trip. Always caught 16 to 28 pounders.
Posted By: BWG

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 03:16 PM

Ivie In January 2021. Very few boats and the lake was on fire.
Posted By: Jonah's View

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 03:16 PM

Choke Canyon hands down... from the moment you launch it just feels different, has a unique smell to it, the landscape, birds and then there is the abundance of gators...makes your senses come alive...then the icing on the cake is beautifully marked bass, and there are some bigun's in there...
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
Never fished it, but I imagine Amistad was magical when full of water and vegetation.

I started fishing Amistad in the 90's and yes, it was some fun times. Hydrilla and grass was everywhere and throwing a frog on it was the best of times.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jonah's View
Choke Canyon hands down... from the moment you launch it just feels different, has a unique smell to it, the landscape, birds and then there is the abundance of gators...makes your senses come alive...then the icing on the cake is beautifully marked bass, and there are some bigun's in there...

got my introduction to Texas gators when I woke up on a picnic table at the calliham unit, got in late and I opted for the table vs. a non reclining truck seat.

woke up with 2-3 gators not too far away.

choke was amazing back then, 79-81, caught a lot of 5+ back then.
fork is tied with choke imo, always a challenge and spring/fall are my favorite times.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 04:21 PM

Lake o Pines in the Fall. Been a fun few times out there and really caught them good.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 04:32 PM

Amistad about 12 years ago was pretty good.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 04:38 PM

Not texoma.......
Posted By: Chris G

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 04:45 PM

Monticello and its not close for a public lake. I wasn't bass fishing during the glory days of Fork, Cypress Springs, etc and I only fished Falcon 2 days during it's glory days of about 10 years ago. I have lost count of the number of magical days I have had on Monti and have only been fishing it since about 2009 when I bought a house on Cypress. The great thing is those days range from 1' of water to 20' water and frogs to c-rigs and big worms. Countless 50+ fish days and hundreds of fish over 5#. I even recall a day we had 3 of us in the boat and had 6 different 25#+ best five fish "limits". One day I will also never forget was me and Clint Wright back before I had a boat in 2010 fishing the back of Smith Creek. We caught ~35 fish in about 4 hours with something like 25 of them being 5# or bigger all in 1' of water and all on white ribbit frogs. Watching a 9# fish wake from 6' away to destroy my frog was something I will never forget. Sure miss her and hope to fish her again some day soon.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 04:53 PM

Fork, Rayburn, Falcon and Toledo Bend obviously make my list but I am gonna go with some off the wall/less popular places that I have had more than one phenomenal day of bass fishing on.

Tawakoni
Bridgeport
Angelina River
Sabine River
Red River
Lost Creek
Winnsboro
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 04:57 PM

Falcon prime.

Baccarrac and Sugar have been great throughout the years but nothing compares to that 2010-2012 Falcon run

Hopefully we get one more shot.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 05:08 PM

As far as all out fun, Holbrook back in the 2nd half of the 70’s was awesome - bass, ski, annoy girls at the beach, more bass. After that Monticello and Fork w/o the skiing and other stuff. cool
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 05:22 PM

Falcon, Amistad and Caddo. Fishing Flacon during one of its peaks is hard to beat. The bass you catch there could almost be classified as an offshoot sub-species. They are aggressive and fun to catch. Amistad and Caddo are cool because they are both so unique in their own way. Fishing Amistad all day, then jumping in the water to cool off and snorkeling the crystal clear water while watching bass 20+ feet down is hard to beat. As for Caddo, the scenery is just amazing.

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by SkeeterRonnie
Lake o Pines in the Fall. Been a fun few times out there and really caught them good.

This one too, I forgot about it.
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 06:23 PM

Caddo is fun and beautiful
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 06:26 PM

Fork in the 80's
Posted By: buda13

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 06:28 PM

Most fun has to be Squaw Creek the month before it would get beat to death by tournaments. Watching 50+ fish between 2-4 lbs eat your bait is about as much fun as it gets for me.
Posted By: meP2too

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 08:11 PM

Monticello from mid 80’s until it closed during late September until mid December. Mill creek from late 80’s to early 2000 during prespawn, and night fishing Fork from 80’s to when LMB virus hit.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by buda13
Most fun has to be Squaw Creek the month before it would get beat to death by tournaments. Watching 50+ fish between 2-4 lbs eat your bait is about as much fun as it gets for me.

that is how my son learned to bass fish is at Squaw Creek.. Started when he was 4 years old...My 8 year old caught his first bass there also..
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 08:27 PM

Fork
Monticello
Rayburn
T-Bend
Early Purtis Creek

But just for fishing fun, the Northlake powerplant lake in N. Irving before it got shut down. Very little fishing pressure and because of that you could catch 1-2 lbers all day. And every once in a while a big girl would provide some fun. Even saw Jerry Dean filming a Honey Hole episode there. It was a great place to take the kids to teach them how to fish a plastic worm.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 08:58 PM

Was lucky and got to fish four days the first week Gibbons Creek opened. Wore them out on homemade spinnerbaits and six inch blue flake worms.

Amistad is next fishing a white 100 series Bandit over grass.

Last is flipping the reeds on Fayetteville.
Posted By: Walker61

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 09:03 PM

First 5 to 7 years on Fork was magical. The lake was a jungle and the schoolers and grass and big fat footballs. And the fishermen were nicer back then. Lol. It was a fisherman’s paradise.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 09:15 PM

Cooper when it first opened. Easy 100-150 fish a day. Most were in the 13–16-inch range. Every once in a while, you would get a 3-5 pounder but that was pretty rare. You could use up any odd colored worm that you had. The bass did not care.

Purtis Creek was a real fun lake to fish back in early 90's. Until they (or the carp) killed off all the grass.

Ray Roberts was fun when it first opened and for maybe the next 7-8 years. All you had to do to catch fish was drag a Carolina rigged French Fry down the railroad tracks or down one on the many old sunken roadbeds which we pretty easy to find as the grass lined the edges and came up to the surface. Around Wolf Island was awesome.

Posted By: Igofish2

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 10:51 PM

I learn how to bass fish, on T-Bend while the trees still had leaves on them. Back then you couldn't do anything wrong.
After T-Bend would be Falcon, but it's only fun if you can find them. And when they have more water. But when you find them, Fun, Fun, Fun.
I've had the same days as the others on Rayburn, but it has always been the most fun. Every year is different.
Posted By: Paul - Lake Fork

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 11:15 PM

Night Fishing On Fork early 90's ..

Hilderbrandt Spinnerbait Black/Gold #5 Colorado Blade

Gene Larew Hawg Craw Black/Blue T-Rig

Black Buzzbait

all with Braid.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 11:27 PM

I’ve had phenomenal days on a bunch of lakes. Eagle Mountain and Bardwell stand out. EM was a freezing Jan. day and Bardwell was on a mid summer day and it was flooded. 3rd best day was on Joe Pool…the day I couldn’t catch anything but overs flipping flooded stuff. I’ve had a few 80+ fish days on Clark. Had a day on Fairfield throwing a frog where I tore up 6-7 frogs.

….then there was waxahachie yesterday. I caught a keeper. A 1lb 8oz beauty that was the fruit of 6 hours of labor.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/12/22 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by coachallentca
Originally Posted by buda13

that is how my son learned to bass fish is at Squaw Creek.. Started when he was 4 years old...My 8 year old caught his first bass there also..

I enjoyed the lake over the years.....
Posted By: 8upwithfishin'

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 12:01 AM

This, but had a 10" power worm instead of buzz bait. If you did get bit with these, they just weren't biting at all.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 12:12 AM

Amistad in mid 2000s. Could catch 100 a day any way you wanted. Never got to fish Falcon in its hey day but I’ve heard stories about how rediculous it was. Those days are over thanks to social media and “growing the sport”.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket
Amistad in mid 2000s. Could catch 100 a day any way you wanted. Never got to fish Falcon in its hey day but I’ve heard stories about how rediculous it was. Those days are over thanks to social media and “growing the sport”.

Yeah because the drought and record low water levels have nothing to do with it
Posted By: Black Dallas

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 01:10 AM

amistad back in the day. real fun! best day had a 6-7, a 7-6, and 11-7 by myself

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Allen Bass Fisher
Cooper when it first opened. Easy 100-150 fish a day. Most were in the 13–16-inch range. Every once in a while, you would get a 3-5 pounder but that was pretty rare. You could use up any odd colored worm that you had. The bass did not care.

Purtis Creek was a real fun lake to fish back in early 90's. Until they (or the carp) killed off all the grass.

Ray Roberts was fun when it first opened and for maybe the next 7-8 years. All you had to do to catch fish was drape a Carolina rigged French Fry down the railroad tracke or down one on the many old sunken road beds which we pretty easy to find as the grass lined the edges and came up to the surface. Around Wolf Island was awesome.

Doctors Creek State Park on Cooper I can step out in the highway and see from my house. I'll be hitting it with a Carolina Rig this coming weekend. I've been doing a lot of side scan work on some points and I think I may have located some of the bass population. They put 250,000 florida strain fingerlings in it about two years ago. I think between the predatory fish eating birds that haunt it and the mid 2000's drought where water levels dropped so fast it may have left eggs high and dry plus the fact DP&W rarely stocks it, it died. Just before the stocking they did a shock survey and cound't find any LMB's. If I do any good I'll post some photos. Delta County needs fishermen spending money.

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

Yeah because the drought and record low water levels have nothing to do with it

Fair and obvious point. No matter what lake is on fire these days, word gets out immediately and the travelers pack up and head that way. Bring on the hurricanes to S Texas!
Posted By: Kodyjoe

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 02:00 AM

Yep Cooper Lake was awesome for me from bout 96 to 2000. I was on that sucker every day I was off..Wish I got to fish Fork in the early days.
Posted By: SRitchey

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 02:29 AM

Monti 80's - soon after Bob Garcia broke the state record. Spent many a cold night out there but it was worth it and I was young lol.
T Bend - anytime! 80's to now for me. Always been good to me. Won a boat there.
Fork - right after opening to now. In the beginning we fished a place we called the watermelon patch, when the lake had only road beds to launch from. There was one on the bank too - so duh lol. .All day long we caught 'em 5-6# and some bigger, every trip! They would wear the paint off a yellow bladed spinner bait. Incredible fishing!
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 03:31 AM

I can’t select just one one lake. Several I’m quite fond of.

Lake Corpus Christi mid 80’s to about 1990 was the most under rated Lake in the state. It was stacked with fish.

Falcon was something to behold when it was full. I lived in Corpus and fished it a lot in the 80’s. Fished it a lot 10-12 years back for a few years too.

When I dropped my boat in Amistad in around 1982, it was full and could see at least 20 feet I was taken back. I leaned a lot watching what fish did when they picked up a worm in deep water. Where they picked the bait up and when you felt the fish were two different things. Clearest blue water I’d ever seen, maybe even more clear than Tenkiller, in Oklahoma.

Choke in the early days before it completely filled up was a site to see. Fish swimming between cactus with blooms under the water was quite a site.

I’ve been lucky to fish as much as I have and lakes I’ve fished.

Now days I’m taken back by Rayburn. I’m lucky enough to have a house in Rayburn Country. Lake Sam Rayburn is an amazing lake to hold up to the pressure and still kick out fish like it does. I’m retired now. I didn’t get on a hunting lease this year. I plan on some serious fall fishing this year on Rayburn.
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 03:31 AM

T-Bend in the late 70's to early 80's was unreal. Big schooling bass, lots of top top water action, and soft plastics were really coming on the scene.
Posted By: Clint H.

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 04:28 AM

Monticello hands down. Then some stand outs are Pat Mayse Gilmer Welsh Jacksboro
Posted By: K.D.

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 07:41 AM

Amistad when it was hot. Like Chris said, about 12 years ago

Also agree with Paul, night fishing fork was awesome when all you needed was go getters and 10 inch worms

I had some great times on Texoma when I found the schools of smallies in the winter
Posted By: Slacklinedime

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 01:40 PM

Fork in the 90's was sweet.
I have always had good times on Ray Bob.
Posted By: Ox190

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sim69z28
E.V. Spence when it was a lake in early 1990’s. Big water. Caught Stripers every trip. Always caught 16 to 28 pounders.

Grew up fishing Spence and Twin Buttes, my step nephew pulled a 29lbs striper out of Spence in the early 90s on a downrigger.
Posted By: RoadRunnerTR21

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 01:51 PM

Fork in the 80's and Purtis Creek in the late 80's/early 90's
Posted By: petro

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 02:20 PM

Angelina River
Hubbard Creek
Fayette
Buchanan
Posted By: Captain Break-Off

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 02:23 PM

Purtis Creek before they did away with the grass !!! One of the best night lakes ever !!!
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 02:52 PM

Amistad is my favorite lake when it has water, but I've caught more really big bass from Falcon. As someone mentioned earlier, that 2008 - 2012 period at Falcon was insane for big fish. I had at least 1 DD every year out of there and on one trip I had 2 over 10 and my partner had 1 over 11.
Posted By: wug

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 05:29 PM

Fayette was the lake that I learned to Bass Fish, 3lbs-4lbs were common....with an 8.7lb my 2nd largest caught. Summertime they would school and winter they were at the edge of the hydrilla. An IDIOT could catch fish on Fayette...I'm living proof!
Posted By: H&H

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 06:33 PM

2000s on Amistad was it, you would catch one and a 20-25 would follow the one you had hooked to the boat and be all same size. probably happens on other lakes but Amistad was clear enough to see bass at their natural state. First time I fished it was a TTT flw pro-am and realized we were fishing in drinking water, and I brought to heavy of line I had to go to Wal-Mart for some line.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 06:59 PM

Travis. There's more exposed boobs in Devils cove than in Epstein's little black book! (But Fork for fishing!)
Posted By: T54

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 07:05 PM

Right now, Choke.

Lak Austin from 2011-2014 was insanely fun
Posted By: doctorb

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong

got my introduction to Texas gators when I woke up on a picnic table at the calliham unit, got in late and I opted for the table vs. a non reclining truck seat.

fork is tied with choke imo, always a challenge and spring/fall are my favorite times.

Choke Canyon was impounded in 1982.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by doctorb

It's so awesome when people who always have done everything and "top" every story get outed. LMAO this is so funny!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TxRanger1

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 08:16 PM

I had the opportunity to fish Fayette County about 2 weeks before it opened to the public. Other than that it was Rayburn ibn the early 70's. That was a good time. If you are talking about now, I would say for me I still enjoy fishing Rayburn now.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 08:38 PM

My two best days ever both come from Cooper about 3 weeks apart. My best five were over 50lbs not once but twice. After that Sugar lake.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 09:29 PM

Purtis Creek prior to the grass being eradicated, Monticello prior to the PP being shut down, Fork prior to the herbicide fish kill which was spun as LMBV, Roberts prior to the hydrilla being killed... Current loves are Athens, Sam Rayburn, the Devils River, Picachos, and a couple of more local lakes which shall remain nameless. On the list of "hey I need to fish that lake" are Ivie, Choke, Nocona, Moss and several Mexican lakes.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/13/22 09:45 PM

Obviously Falcon back in the day. Next to that would be Houston County when it had hydrilla. Was absolutely NOTHING to catch 100 with half being 4 plus. A horrible day was anything under 25 on best 5.

Next to that would be Sheldon Reservoir from 2003-2009. NUMEROUS 10+ along with 1 over 13. 5 sacks over 40lbs. Every trip we caught one over 7. Big rod big braid 1oz weight. The funnest way to catch um
Posted By: Poodle

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 01:37 AM

Squaw Creek back before they powered up.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 01:41 AM

I wrote the same thing, posted it and then deleted it. I was kinda curious if anyone else would say anything about it being a bit off.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 02:35 AM

Most fun day was either on Belton chasing schooling white bass all over the lake, or Houston County simply fishing schooling bass out in the middle of the lake. The Houston County day was the first time I hung two bass on one lure (rattle trap)

Don't get me wrong, I'll all for going after big fish. But I'll tell you, chasing schools running on top of the water is just as fun IMO smile
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 11:20 AM

Kurth 1999-2010, falcon pre 2012 and it's not even close for numbers of big fish anywhere else. But....my favorite place is the devil's river by kayak or canoe in the fall. Been doing it over 15 years. 4-5lb larges and small mouth on topwater in skinny water is a blast
Posted By: BMCD

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 01:27 PM

Hard to beat Fayette for fun. I can count on one hand how many times I did not catch at least 25 bass in a day of fishing.

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
Kurth 1999-2010, falcon pre 2012 and it's not even close for numbers of big fish anywhere else. But....my favorite place is the devil's river by kayak or canoe in the fall. Been doing it over 15 years. 4-5lb larges and small mouth on topwater in skinny water is a blast

I have been wanting to do that devils river deal a long time, its on my bucket list. Never fished on a Kayak, so that might be a problem. I was born and raised on a bass boat and one day I wont have any Tournament championships in fall. In my life I missed Falcons prime and crossed 100 times over it deer hunting in Mexico. Conroe's prime was fun won a bass-n bucks with over 32 Lbs and 28 lbs got last check. Amistad was my favorite because it was different to me at the time never seen water that clear ever. Amistad still holds my PB and I caught it Jarret same day you caught that 13 something on NAC lol. Sam Rayburn and Toledo are probably other peoples favorite and they are fun but when you fish those 24-7 like we do something different is just down right fun. Its the exploring new venues and scenery that make Amistad and Devils river something special and truly GODS beautiful creation.

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 01:33 PM

I forgot Texoma, Richland, Cedar Creek and Livingston also have a special Place in my heart because of the cash check ratios in bass tournaments.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX

Thats my answer. My best friend from college is a game warden and was stationed there. Twice a year I would take a week off and go fishing with him. Fish Amistad 3 or 4 days and a day of trolling for sand bass on the Pecos.
Posted By: Houston Basscat

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 01:52 PM

Night fishing on Fork in the early 90's
Posted By: Jaredk

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 02:56 PM

The Calliham Unit con­tains 1,100 acres in McMullen County. It opened on Aug. 21, 1987.

Can’t believe they put the picnic tables out nearly a decade before the park was opened

Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 03:43 PM

Bridgeport of Lake Lavon. Always a good time.
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by E8C-ENG

The Calliham Unit con­tains 1,100 acres in McMullen County. It opened on Aug. 21, 1987.

Can’t believe they put the picnic tables out neatly a decade before the park was opened

Ell. Oh. Ell.
Posted By: 1ShotNoKills

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 03:52 PM

Fork in 73

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 03:58 PM

Titicaca about 61 million years ago

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 04:22 PM

Bois D’Arc, ‘26-‘27
Posted By: 1ShotNoKills

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 04:49 PM

Bois D’Arc, ‘26-‘27

We're taking 2026/27 right? How is the future of bass fishing? Also, did this post piss people off in the future for lake naming after you time traveled?

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 04:57 PM

I was going to fish lake Ralph hall a couple of years ago, but when I got to the ramp, word had already gotten out about how good the fishing was, and I couldn’t find a parking spot. Damn internet fishermen.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Houston Basscat

Forgot about that. I spent many, many nights fishing Fork, We had a few favorite night spots. This was before GPS or even stuff like Navionics so you had to know landmarks and at times just your gut feeling. We used big black buzz baits, black Hildebrant single spinner baits with #6-8 Colorado blade to push a lot of water and 10" power worms.

We caught a lot of 4-8 pound fish with a few nines sprinkled in. No double digit fish though. Talk about excitement, you could hear the buzz bait running but you could not see it. All of a sudden there was a huge splash as the fish hit the bait and then the fight was on. Most times you never really knew how big it was until you got it to the boat.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 05:15 PM

Gonna show my age here but fishing Conroe in late 70's and early 80's as a pre teen got me hooked on bass fishing. I still remember my Dad using his lowrance flasher to find grass edges in up to 18 foot of water. I can remember several summer night trips where we would catch dozens of fish in the 4-5 lb class. For a 10 year old, those might as well have been 10 lb fish. At about the same time or perhaps a bit earlier, I can also remember the "jungle" area of Lake Livingston being just incredible for numbers of 3-5 lb fish. Again, not giants, but the numbers were just incredible. Into the mid eighties, Pops and I got on Gibbons a few times right after it opened up and for those who can remember, folks were coming from far and wide to fish that little pond. I caught my first 7 and 8 lb fish on Gibbons. In Feb 1986 or 1987, I saw the largest bass I have ever seen cruising in about 2-3 foot of water on Gibbons. I have seen a 12 lb class fish on a bed before and the fish I saw on Gibbons that day dwarfed that one!! The one thing that sticks out to me to this day was how wide the fish was across the back...to this day, I still get chills when I think about how big that fish may have been because I have not seen anything close to it in all my years. Since then, it's pretty much been Rayburn and Toledo as far as having really good days. Every now and again, Conroe will be good to me as well and remind me of what it once was.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 05:26 PM

I had a couple of great days on Gibbons in '09-'10. I live on Conroe. It's usually feast or famine but the spawn can be fun
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 05:30 PM

Also, Lake X.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Monty Wright
I had a couple of great days on Gibbons in '09-'10. I live on Conroe. It's usually feast or famine but the spawn can be fun

Yes, the old lake still has it's days for those who can fish it frequently. From Feb through the end of June, you better have 20 lbs if you want to get paid in any of the local derby's.

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by GeoFisher

Yes, the old lake still has it's days for those who can fish it frequently. From Feb through the end of June, you better have 20 lbs if you want to get paid in any of the local derby's.

Sorry but--Gibbons Creek Reservoir is closed to the public as of 12/25/21.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 06:53 PM

my parents had a place on Toledo Bend and i fished it a lot back in late 60's and 70's.....great fishing lake especially for schooling bass in the summer and spring time shallow bass......

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by H&H
I forgot Texoma, Richland, Cedar Creek and Livingston also have a special Place in my heart because of the cash check ratios in bass tournaments.

I should like cedar creek. I’ve won everything I have ever entered on that lake. But, I still hate it.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by spacejunkie

He's talking about Conroe.

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 08:15 PM

That’s a relief. I would hate to think that there was more than 1 liar on this thread.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 08:30 PM

Fayetteville. It's the lake I miss the most since moving.

I went there to catch fish, now I go to a lake to try not to zero LOL

One of my most favorite days on Fayetteville was Thanksgiving day 2012. 3-5 pounders stacked out deep on the house foundations and roadbeds, we wore them out on football jigs all day. Then got to have the best meal of the year.

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 09:47 PM

Opps. Mistake noted.

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by H&H

I should like cedar creek. I’ve won everything I have ever entered on that lake. But, I still hate it.

Any chance I could get your autograph for my future grandkids?
Posted By: Westside.

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 10:06 PM

Can’t believe they put the picnic tables out nearly a decade before the park was opened

Some of the earliest visitors to the area were the Paleo indians more than 10,000 years ago, they were known to nap on the picnic tables

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/14/22 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by H&H

BURN!!!

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/15/22 12:01 AM

Choke Canyon in '78, I was 9 and we went to summer camp there. Fishing was unreal, I mean really unreal

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/15/22 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
Choke Canyon in '78, I was 9 and we went to summer camp there. Fishing was unreal, I mean really unreal

You should have been there in ‘67……… sarcastic
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/15/22 01:03 AM

Pffffftt, I used to take my horse carriage there back in 1919. We caught bass so big, George Perry stole our pics and claimed them to be caught in Georgia. Then they stole bass from choke and put them into lake fork.

The picnic tables were the best, rattlesnakes would crawl up them and the gators would jump up on the table and eat them. Then Hop would break the gators necks and turn them into boots! That Hop is the most dangerous man in flag

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/15/22 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by grout-scout

Pffffftt, I used to take my horse carriage there back in 1919. We caught bass so big, George Perry stole our pics and claimed them to be caught in Georgia.

Yea…him and that bass story make choke in ‘77 seem like non-fiction. I HATE that fake record!

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/15/22 01:19 AM

Poor Hop roflmao

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/15/22 01:26 AM

Poor Hop roflmao

You know he had his chest stuck way out and typed really hard as he was topping all others as he fished Choke in 70's, way before anyone else...
Posted By: Champion1

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/15/22 01:28 AM

back in the 90's and earlly 00's used to go to Fork in warm months and Monticello in cold months. Never stopped catching them. Both had hydrilla everywhere! Gold rattletraps on Monti and red on Fork. Had so many 50 to 100 fish days it was unbelievable. Sluggos were the bomb for awhile! Man I miss hydrilla!

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/15/22 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by H&H

$20 each. Only on once a month. But, you gotta buy my picture too, for me to sign. Those are $100 each. Those are only sold on tuesdays.
Posted By: Pk Lake

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/15/22 06:04 AM

Inks Lake was fun in Spring 1999.

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/15/22 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pk Lake
Inks Lake was fun in Spring 1999.

Did you jump off the high part of the rock LOL, I did
Posted By: CCTX

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/15/22 01:29 PM

Had some of my best bank fishing days fishing the Inks lake spillway for stripers and hybrids.
Also witnessed a group of teenagers crash a pontoon at the top of the dam with almost half of it dangling over the edge.
They were extremely fortunate to get off the boat unharmed.
Posted By: Hookem

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/15/22 04:59 PM

I'll take Lake Austin from 1992-2014. Lots of BIG fish.
Bastrop in 1970 when at the Boy Scout camp. Caught plenty of bluegills using a tree limb, some kite string and a safety pin with a BB-sized white bread on the tip of the pin. Caught 100s off the bank.
Canyon Lake while it was being impounded. Gramps took us to the river and we caught the hell out of catfish. Found lots of fossils and Indian artifacts. Was beautiful.
Choke in the late 80s, early 90s. The "Jungle" was a blast to navigate. My average bass was right at 5lbs. Hadn't been back since 1997.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/15/22 08:53 PM

Cooper in the late 90s to early 2000s.
Nacogdoches
Sandlin
Fayette County
Bastrop

It's hard to narrow it down to five.

The first time I ever went to Cooper I caught a 6 and a 7 in the first hour, first two places I tried after leaving the South Sulphur ramp. Later I caught bass up to 10.75 there. I would drive over Fork every time to get to Cooper. It's a shame that such a great bass fishery was lost, especially considering the facilities that were built there.
Posted By: guntz67

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/26/22 10:05 PM

Fairfield
Holbrook
Lake of the Pines have all been good to me
Also had an epic day on Quitman 2 years ago
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/26/22 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Allen Bass Fisher
Originally Posted by Houston Basscat

Forgot about that. I spent many, many nights fishing Fork, We had a few favorite night spots. This was before GPS or even stuff like Navionics so you had to know landmarks and at times just your gut feeling. We used big black buzz baits, black Hildebrant single spinner baits with #6-8 Colorado blade to push a lot of water and 10" power worms.

We caught a lot of 4-8 pound fish with a few nines sprinkled in. No double digit fish though. Talk about excitement, you could hear the buzz bait running but you could not see it. All of a sudden there was a huge splash as the fish hit the bait and then the fight was on. Most times you never really knew how big it was until you got it to the boat.

My second biggest fish ever, 13.60, came at night on fork on a full moon in 1992. Jawtec terminator worm in red bloodline. Right where the big intake unit is now on that point. There was a hump/ridge that shot up real quick with a couple trees on top. You could drift over it and hook up every time
Posted By: TxSwimbaiter

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/27/22 12:15 AM

Really tough to pick one...Choke, Falcon, Amistad & Medina going back to 06. They were all different and fun to fish.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/27/22 01:46 PM

Rayburn in the spring... Dan fish
Posted By: Buddy E

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/28/22 02:43 AM

Caddo
Holbrook
Athens
Fork
Posted By: over the hill @PK

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 06/28/22 12:35 PM

There have been so many good times on lakes it is hard to chose just one . But Bryson in 2005 was the best for me 40 to 50 bass a day back then was common and I had my to biggest a 13.10 and a 12.7 with many 6 to 10. Yea what a year . Then she went down hill,but was great while it lasted
Posted By: R&K

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/04/22 06:25 PM

Monti for me
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/04/22 07:22 PM

rayburn
Posted By: Chet

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/04/22 07:46 PM

Falcon 2010-2012
Posted By: blooper961

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/04/22 07:54 PM

Tawakoni when it was a big secret.
Now its developed and crowded.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/04/22 09:31 PM

Amistad before.......... ESPN - Byron Velvic and BASS came to town.
Posted By: markson

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/04/22 10:22 PM

Falcon - even though I was 8 years late to the game, it is the only lake where I could consistently catch 20 - 24 lbs on just about any given half day and threaten 30 lbs almost every month - all while fishing exactly when, where and how I wanted to.
Posted By: skins84

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/05/22 01:34 AM

Fork and Cooper were both pretty special in the 90"s.
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/05/22 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jersey Dan
Falcon prime.

Baccarrac and Sugar have been great throughout the years but nothing compares to that 2010-2012 Falcon run

Hopefully we get one more shot.

100% hands down!!! Basin Billy and I had 10 fish for 84 out of one tree in 2011. Later that year we had 50 fish in 3 hours and there were only milk 5 fish under 5 pounds. Insanity!!! If it ever fills up again I think I’m going to retire early to take it all in!!!
Posted By: kellisag

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/05/22 04:01 PM

Lake Nac in the early 2000's for me.
Posted By: R83steve

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/05/22 06:36 PM

I like Falcon even though it is very low, but I’m hoping that the Lord let’s me fish it whenever it fills up again
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/05/22 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by skins84
Fork and Cooper were both pretty special in the 90"s.

This!!!!

Even though Fork was pretty fun this weekend!
Posted By: wabash2015

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/06/22 07:55 PM

Fayette fishing the discharge.

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/06/22 10:08 PM

It would have to be between five lakes. Fork, Holbrook, Lake O' the Pines, Pat Mayse and, Cypress Springs. All of these I've had one or more stellar days fishing and won a tournament on one of these.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/06/22 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Champion1
back in the 90's and earlly 00's used to go to Fork in warm months and Monticello in cold months. Never stopped catching them. Both had hydrilla everywhere! Gold rattletraps on Monti and red on Fork. Had so many 50 to 100 fish days it was unbelievable. Sluggos were the bomb for awhile! Man I miss hydrilla!

Did you ever whack ‘‘em with the AC Plug? I bought 5 back in the day and don’t think I ever caught a fish with them. Still have 3 of them, the bigger ones.
Posted By: Dusty W.

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/07/22 06:56 PM

I would say Lake Fork in the spring/fall
Posted By: Kidsdadmom

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/14/22 04:54 PM

i agree!! (not about you being an idiot)
Posted By: Royram

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/16/22 04:34 PM

Lake Grapevine believe it or not. Best day fishing ever about 15 years ago. My brother and I got on a large mouth bite that lasted all day. We caught over 100 bass that day easily, even had a friend come out and fish with us because he just couldn't believe it. A once in a lifetime kind of day. No giants just tons of fish it was a blast. Tawakoni besides that because it is around the corner and you can always catch fish.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/20/22 04:08 AM

Frog bite on Monty bang
Posted By: Ricktofish

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/20/22 12:37 PM

Rayburn back in the day when there was hundreds of acres of hydrilla on Needmore Point punching a Larew 6" hawg craw.
Posted By: RoadRunnerTR21

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/20/22 12:39 PM

Fork in the 80's
Posted By: greenen

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/20/22 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
Originally Posted by Champion1

Did you ever whack ‘‘em with the AC Plug? I bought 5 back in the day and don’t think I ever caught a fish with them. Still have 3 of them, the bigger ones.

Bought one at Fork about 95 and never caught one on it. It's on my mantle now.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/20/22 04:43 PM

Did you ever whack ‘‘em with the AC Plug? I bought 5 back in the day and don’t think I ever caught a fish with them. Still have 3 of them, the bigger ones. [/quote]

Absolutely! When the gizzard shad would show up in late Nov/early Dec under the bridge in big Mustang, we would clobber them on AC plugs! Duplechain showed me the AC plug one cold morning. 4-14 pound large mouth bass SCHOOLING! It was unbelievable for a few years!
Posted By: RayBob

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/20/22 05:19 PM

Willow Slough Marsh back in the 80's. Consistently killed 'em back then.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: What’s your most fun lake in Texas that you’ve ever fished? - 07/21/22 12:18 PM

I was on a Private Lake / Lease for 10 years up in Whitesboro. I poured a concrete boat ramp on it so I could launch my bass boat.
Did not matter what time of the year you went. Average day was 50 bass, good day was 100+ bass. The lake had every kind of fishing you could imagine. It was 2 miles long and full of timber. Down by the dam it had some humps, lake had grass as well. Top water bite in the morning, worm and carolina rig in the middle of the day, if the wind would get up you could go down the windy side and wack them burning a spinner bait along the shoreline. Bubble gum lemon swirl Yum Dinger rigged weightless or wacky style would kill em on that lake. Took Lindy Roberts a few times and he begged me to get on the lease, but it was full of 10 members, 5 of which were bass fisherman, 5 were duck hunters. I'd love to buy that property and build up there. I took a kid from Belgium once who came to the US to bass fish for the summer, he said it was the best bass trip ever. I took a friend's relative from Amarillo who was dying of Cancer, he said he hoped Heaven was just like it as we caught over 200 bass that day. Largest I ever caught was 8 lbs, but it had a ton of 4 to 5 lb bass in it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum