Texas Fishing Forum

Jerkbaits year round

Posted By: kirbydog

Jerkbaits year round - 06/03/22 04:55 PM

I know that jerkbaits work well in cold water. Who out there throws them all the time and has
success with them outside of the colder months.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/03/22 05:09 PM

I do. They work year round for me. Started using them more and more throughout the year and now to the point my jerkbait rod never leaves my boat.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/03/22 05:23 PM

Me. On certain lakes it's my #1 confidence bait. I've caught 30lbs in August on a jerkbait on bluegill beds numerous times. I've caught more during the hot weather than I have during cooler weather on a jerkbait actually.
Posted By: JoshMathes

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/03/22 05:39 PM

i will throw them year round as a search bait and if I have fish hitting on it or at least chasing then I will stop and worm fish the area a little more thoroughly.
Posted By: Kodyjoe

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/03/22 06:26 PM

Prolly been asked a thousand times but what rod do yall like the best for jerkbaits
Posted By: JoshMathes

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/03/22 06:33 PM

I like a 7ft med heavy with a fast action, I use the same rod I throw for topwater.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/03/22 06:36 PM

Yes....have 2 tied on all times.

- MB 110+1
- MB 110

Yes, those MB 110 are that good.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/03/22 07:53 PM

I don't remember the last time I fished a lake and didn't throw a jerkbait.

I love throwing them this time of the year ripping them as quickly as I can looking for a reaction strike through the tree tops.

My favorite rod for a jerkbait is an Ugly Stick Lite Medium Action. My second choice is Falcon Medium Heavy, Mod/Fast Action.
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/03/22 08:06 PM

I have at least two tied on now all the time . So many ways to fish them . Every year my confidence goes higher with them . Hard for me to understand why you wouldn't throw them year round .
I have a local lake I fish about 30 times a year for the last 20+ years . During spawn and post spawn I used to always have a Crig and Senko as my go to baits and they worked . Last year , end of may , I was struggling getting on a good bite . I had one Megabass 100 , shad color --- started throwing on a flat with weeds coming up from bottom about 1 foot high with an average depth of 5-8 feet . Absolutely crushed them .
This year , same thing --- except I expanded my locations with similar cover . From early May to last week --over 70 bass with several 5's , 6's and one 7 . Lost one that just came unbuttoned that easily went 8+ .
It will flat wear out my left hand throwing it for 6 + hours ---- but so friggin fun
I use two rods , a GLoomis Medium heavy moderate fast 7' , and a 6'11" Powell Medium /moderate fast --- the Loomis for moving in faster and the Powell for a slowed down pause action
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/03/22 08:08 PM

That sounds awesome
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/03/22 10:09 PM

You can jerk 24/7/365 and it's okay
Posted By: 361V

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/04/22 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

Diminished eyesight can result

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/04/22 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by 361V
Originally Posted by Douglas J

Diminished eyesight can result

and hairy palms
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/04/22 07:54 PM

All you year round jerk bait fishers.. what's your fave colors?
thanks
BD
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/04/22 08:04 PM

Always been a fan of Chrome/Black Back/Orange Belly, but that's because it was a confidence bait for me back when I fished Meredith a lot. Just stuck with it over the years and it has always produced.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/04/22 08:07 PM

I have never thrown a jerkbait and was waiting until winter to put together a setup for them. But saw this post yesterday and went ahead and ordered a rod/reel and some MB 110s to start now.

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/04/22 08:46 PM

chrome black or blue back and white or bone are my go to colors basically
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/04/22 09:02 PM

chrome black , chrome blue , clear blue , and the chartreuse and orange bellies -- changing up the speed and numbers of " jerks " and the length of pause seems to be key's to my success . two weeks ago with very little wind --- they wanted it paused for 20+ seconds , once the wind kicked up that didn't work and they wanted it moving faster .
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/04/22 10:14 PM

Megabass Vision 110s in mat shad, HT Ito TN Shad, Elegy Bone and GP Stain Reaction work pretty much everywhere in Texas.
Posted By: kingfish_1970

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/04/22 11:32 PM

I'm a fair weather fisherman and I have killed them all spring and summer for as long as I've been fishing. Usually early or late I throw them parallel to the grass line. A twitch twitch twitch pause cadence does it for me. I'm on a budget, so ROGUES get the nod. Silver/blue back. Silver/black and orange/black get bit equally for me.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/06/22 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by 1oldbassguy
chrome black , chrome blue , clear blue , and the chartreuse and orange bellies -- changing up the speed and numbers of " jerks " and the length of pause seems to be key's to my success . two weeks ago with very little wind --- they wanted it paused for 20+ seconds , once the wind kicked up that didn't work and they wanted it moving faster .

As bad as my A.D.D. is I would have to be shooting something in between pauses that long!
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/07/22 11:55 AM

What is a good sinker for attempting to get down in the 10 foot range
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/07/22 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
Always been a fan of Chrome/Black Back/Orange Belly, but that's because it was a confidence bait for me back when I fished Meredith a lot. Just stuck with it over the years and it has always produced.

My favorite color. Still hard to beat a Rogue.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/07/22 08:45 PM

Academy jerkbaits in ghost minnow and natural shad are the only ones you need
Posted By: JWfish

Re: Jerkbaits year round - 06/07/22 09:35 PM

I always have a albino shad, blue white glitter or black and chartreuse glitter Bass Assassin jerk bait tied on 1 of my rods year round. You can work on top or let flutter down in timber or off Lilly pads. My GO-TO bait year round!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum