Texas Fishing Forum

What is a NO WAKE ZONE?

Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 01:49 AM

I spent a good portion of the day on Fork yesterday and saw three boats on two different bridges WAKE the bridges. One went under the Birch Creek Bridge on half plane and the other two I watched simultaneously parallel the 515 west from the north side of the bridge about 25 to 50 yards out from it and run the majority of the length of that bridge throwing monster wakes with their bass boats. Both bridges had multiple fishermen under them and could have easily gotten damage to their rigs from being bounced off the pilings. I've had a high end bass boat damaged from this so I'm very observant of 'NO WAKE ZONES and idle through at least from 100 yards out or more. Most of you know what NO WAKE means and observe it but there are some among us that apparently don't have a clue. If a game warden sees you do that it's going to come with a ticket and a fine. Please observe NO WAKE ZONES properly.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 02:09 AM

On Lavon it’s for sure not under the Mallard Bridge
Posted By: champRD

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 02:26 AM

Watched 3 guys in a basscat (very young kid driving) go under 154 bridge on full plane at around noon yesterday. They either have no clue or just don't care.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 02:34 AM

Not all bridges are no wake zones. It has to be marked as such.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 02:37 AM

. A bass boat on pad makes very little wake.

Now a boat plowing half throttle because he thinks he is doing others a favor is the culprit.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

True but I believe all the bridges on Fork are marked no wake zones.. I could be wrong..
Posted By: David Burton

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by coachallentca

True but I believe all the bridges on Fork are marked no wake zones.. I could be wrong..

They are marked "ON THE BRIDGE", there are no buoys leading up to them, so first timers could miss them. But, running parallel, most people run the roadbeds, so they're pretty close. I'm surprised the OP just now experienced this.

Oklahoma has a new law that makes all bridges No Wake, whether posted or not; so be careful on Texoma.

Lavon doesn't have any real enforcement, so tons of folks blow that RR bridge!!!!

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 03:19 AM

Every bridge I was around yesterday was no wake.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 03:26 AM

I got boarded on Athens once for making “white water and bubbles” in a no wake zone. She got a little nicer when I asked her how my wake was and where is the no bubbles sign.

I think she really just wanted to check out my padded deck on my skeeter. roflmao
Posted By: buda13

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 10:28 AM

There is absolutely nothing illegal about paralleling the bridge just outside the no wake buoys. I have the decency not to plow up a huge wake… but your absolutely insane if you think I’m idling from the boat lane buoy all the way to the start of the solid embankment. To me this is similar to fishing in the boat lane then complaining about people going by on pad.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 11:18 AM

You lost me at "throwing monster wakes with their bass boats"
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

Now a boat plowing half throttle because he thinks he is doing others a favor is the culprit.

True I would rather be passed by 20 bass boats up on plane than one ski boat.
Posted By: 361V

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

Yep^^^^^!
Originally Posted by buda13
There is absolutely nothing illegal about paralleling the bridge just outside the no wake buoys. I have the decency not to plow up a huge wake… but your absolutely insane if you think I’m idling from the boat lane buoy all the way to the start of the solid embankment. To me this is similar to fishing in the boat lane then complaining about people going by on pad.

And yep^^^^^!

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by 361V

Yep^^^^^!

And yep^^^^^!

This is fine but just keep in the back of your mind the thought, is a game warden going to let me get away with this, because if your wake makes the pilings you are probably going to get a ticket. The other part of this is if your wake causes someone to get boat damage in this situation you are financially responsible for it, if Texas is like Louisiana, and I'm sure they are. Should you have to idle from the last marker buoys? Probably not, just use a little common sense and trial and error.
Posted By: Kodyjoe

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 01:40 PM

Prolly get ran over if you idled from 515 west ramp to the boat lane.

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kodyjoe
Prolly get ran over if you idled from 515 west ramp to the boat lane.

Very true for sure. The other thing I learned this past week is if you think you never see a game warden on Fork, think again. I saw their patrol rig @ the Elite series, they blend right in with a really nice ZX250??? Skeeter fully rigged out for tournament level bass fishing and bought from Diamond Sports Marine. Probably color option five.

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

This is fine but just keep in the back of your mind the thought, is a game warden going to let me get away with this, because if your wake makes the pilings you are probably going to get a ticket. The other part of this is if your wake causes someone to get boat damage in this situation you are financially responsible for it, if Texas is like Louisiana, and I'm sure they are. Should you have to idle from the last marker buoys? Probably not, just use a little common sense and trial and error.

I think you're misinterpreting the "No Wake Zone." It doesn't mean that a wake can't enter it, it means boats operating within the zone can't create a wake!
As to responsibility for damages, yes but I would posit within reason. Someone rubbing against a piling from a wake thrown when paralleling the bridge is not reasonable. A dock getting thrashed by a wake boat operating too close to shore is reasonable.

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by David Burton

I think you're misinterpreting the "No Wake Zone." It doesn't mean that a wake can't enter it, it means boats operating within the zone can't create a wake!
As to responsibility for damages, yes but I would posit within reason. Someone rubbing against a piling from a wake thrown when paralleling the bridge is not reasonable. A dock getting thrashed by a wake boat operating too close to shore is reasonable.
I think that is what I said.......or at least what I meant. "Probably" the key word.
Posted By: Used2fish

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 03:46 PM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But if bass boats and their giant wakes bother you I’d stick to creek fishing for panfish. I’d sure stay off fork.

Good luck
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by 361V

Yep^^^^^!

And yep^^^^^!

Agree 1000%
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 10:03 PM

I got boarded on Athens once for making “white water and bubbles” in a no wake zone. She got a little nicer when I asked her how my wake was and where is the no bubbles sign.

I think she really just wanted to check out my padded deck on my skeeter. roflmao

I got a ticket for going too fast in a "No Wake" zone on Conroe. I did not even have my foot on the foot pedal but apparently it was still too fast. The silly thing about this was that the only person really making a wake was the officer zipping around on his jet ski ticketing people.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 11:03 PM

You are not wrong, at least the bridges long enough for people to fish under them are marked but many are too stupid to read or just don't care.

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Used2fish
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But if bass boats and their giant wakes bother you I’d stick to creek fishing for panfish. I’d sure stay off fork.

Good luck

Its all about respect for another person,,,,or lack of it. Based on your comment I guess you just don't care about others, or have respect for them.

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 11:07 PM

Unless it is a Skeeter. Sit near a boat lane and you will see what I mean. Pontoons and flat bottom boats send out huge rollers.

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin

Good luck

Its all about respect for another person,,,,or lack of it.

It's all about compromise. Nobody is idling from the 515 west ramp to the main boat lane.

Don't run boomer-half throttle throwing a huge wake.

Either idle less than 5 mph or put your boat on the pad.

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 11:42 PM

Good luck

It's all about compromise. Nobody is idling from the 515 west ramp to the main boat lane.

If you run in a no wake zone in an area of the bridge that no one is fishing, then it does not matter because no one has to endure the rollers, but if you just choose to blow by someone fishing the bridge in a NO WAKE ZONE it matters. Its all about respect for the other fisherman, or lack of it.
Simple as that.

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 11:48 PM

I’ve been stopped for going to fast in a no wake zone and I’ve also had a boat damaged by a wake in a no wake zone. I’ve seen both sides of it. I think the main thing is just assume you are being watched by law enforcement at all times because at any moment you could be. What will happen if you get stopped will be totally up to the law enforcement officer’s personal observation of what he or she thinks they saw you do. Also no law is going to totally stop boat wakes. What about the guy a 1/4 mile away that may be slowing down to turn into a fishing spot? He’s going to throw a wake that may reach a bridge or no wake zone. There has to be some common sense used by fishermen and law enforcement. My two cents.

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 11:48 PM

Good luck

If you run in a no wake zone in an area of the bridge that no one is fishing, then it does not matter because no one has to endure the rollers, but if you just choose to blow by someone fishing the bridge in a NO WAKE ZONE it matters. Its all about respect for the other fisherman.

The "no wake zone" is physically under the bridge. If you run under the bridge you are violating the law. Not if your wake enters the no wake zone. Now if your wake cause damage that is a different and separate issue and law.

So you tell me you will idle from 515 west ramp to main boat lane? Put your boat up on the pad and the wake is a lot less than the waves on a typical day.

Anyways, you always argue from an absolute perspective, like you are always 100% correct.

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/29/22 11:56 PM

Well Douglas J, I guess you just don't have respect for others. I was raised better than that.

BTW I don't put in at the 515 West ramp.

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/30/22 01:38 AM

Good luck

Its all about respect for another person,,,,or lack of it. Based on your comment I guess you just don't care about others, or have respect for them.

If that’s your take. Roll with it dude.

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/30/22 02:10 AM

One thing I don’t care for is others ignorant opinion about things they don’t know about. So you’re partially right.

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/30/22 03:06 AM

Well Douglas J, I guess you just don't have respect for others. I was raised better than that.

No I give people respect every day.

But, if you think everyone needs to idle from the west 515 ramp to the main boat lane markers or that if someone doesn't they are disrespectful sir, not to be disrespectful but you are special.

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/30/22 09:59 PM

No I give people respect every day.

But, if you think everyone needs to idle from the west 515 ramp to the main boat lane markers or that if someone doesn't they are disrespectful sir, not to be disrespectful but you are special.

I never said that Douglas, you can run on plane near the bridge in the no wake zone everywhere no one is fishing in the NO WAKE ZONE. You don't have to idle through areas that no one is fishing. Is that too hard for you to understand? You keep talking about idling all the way from the ramp to the boat lane at the 515 public ramp. Just use common sense and respect for others.

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/30/22 10:04 PM

Good luck

If that’s your take. Roll with it dude.

That is my take. Respect for others or not. I respect others, that is how I was raised. I guess some of you were not raised that way.
Posted By: Bryanmc57

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/30/22 10:05 PM

I never said that Douglas, you can run on plane near the bridge in the no wake zone everywhere no one is fishing in the NO WAKE ZONE. You don't have to idle through areas that no one is fishing.

On Fork, the no wake zone is the area under the bridge. If the no wake zone extended out away from the bridge, there would have to be buoys on both sides of the bridge identifying where the no wake zone started and ended. There's no such thing as a no wake zone determined by if there's a boat there. It's either no wake or it isn't.

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/31/22 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bryanmc57
I never said that Douglas, you can run on plane near the bridge in the no wake zone everywhere no one is fishing in the NO WAKE ZONE. You don't have to idle through areas that no one is fishing.

On Fork, the no wake zone is the area under the bridge. If the no wake zone extended out away from the bridge, there would have to be buoys on both sides of the bridge identifying where the no wake zone started and ended. There's no such thing as a no wake zone determined by if there's a boat there. It's either no wake or it isn't.

Thank You, Bryan!!! It appears that some here believe that if your wake from running next to the bridge reaches the bridge and there is a boat there, you've violated the Zone, are an inconsiderate DONKEY's Butt, or just weren't spanked enough when you were a kid. roflmao
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/31/22 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bryanmc57

THIS ^^^^^^^^^ I’m stunned anyone would think other wise. No-one is going too idle 3/4 of a mile to keep a wake from going under the bridge - SMH …… wow …. Just wow
Posted By: Bassinamped

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/31/22 03:52 PM

The no wake is for under the bridge itself only. It doesn’t extend out to the sides of the bridge. It’s more of a protection for people going under the bridge to keep from crashing into the bridge than it is for people fishing under the bridge. Now it’s common courtesy to not half throttle or take off next to someone under a bridge fishing but if you’re already on pad keep it on pad. Those little wakes from being on pad aren’t going to cause any issues for anyone fishing under the bridge. I have fished form for years and never seen anyone idle down the whole side of the bridge. No game warden would even give a ticket for that anyway? What makes you think they would? I have not once seen or heard of anyone ever getting a ticket for that….
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/31/22 03:54 PM

You are correct.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/31/22 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by David Burton

They are marked "ON THE BRIDGE", there are no buoys leading up to them, so first timers could miss them. But, running parallel, most people run the roadbeds, so they're pretty close. I'm surprised the OP just now experienced this.

Oklahoma has a new law that makes all bridges No Wake, whether posted or not; so be careful on Texoma.

Lavon doesn't have any real enforcement, so tons of folks blow that RR bridge!!!!

I was informed by a Texas Game Warden a few years ago that signs that say "No Wake" have absolutely NO legal enforcement. Legal no wake zones must have a buoy (from what I was told by a guy who enforces said law for a living)

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 05/31/22 10:40 PM

^^^^^^ as stated before, the no wake signs at Fork are for going under the bridge, to keep people from hitting a bridge pylon at 70. Not for those fishing for crappie underneath it. If you want calm water go fish somewhere else.
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 06/01/22 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
^^^^^^ as stated before, the no wake signs at Fork are for going under the bridge, to keep people from hitting a bridge pylon at 70. Not for those fishing for crappie underneath it. If you want calm water go fish somewhere else.

Exactly. I come up and set down about 40ish yards before a bridge, take off immediately after clearing the other side. I don’t want anyone to scratch their boat on piling- but you can’t expect some to idle a quarter mile out.

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 06/01/22 01:57 AM

roflmao roflmao roflmao

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 06/01/22 02:38 AM

roflmao roflmao roflmao

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 06/01/22 11:53 PM

banana

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 06/02/22 12:30 AM

This is WHAT I LOVE about this forum, never a dull moment. roflmao clap bouncy breakdance
Posted By: T-Slab

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 06/02/22 01:41 AM

Frank uses A-rigs flipping brush. roflmao roflmao
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 06/02/22 02:06 AM

This is WHAT I LOVE about this forum, never a dull moment. roflmao clap bouncy breakdance

Yep fishing is always better behind a key board, lol thumb
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 06/02/22 01:03 PM

i thought you were in a no WAKE ZONE if you leaned to the right.

banana
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 06/02/22 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by bloo_rainger
i thought you were in a no WAKE ZONE if you leaned to the right.

banana

Yep, after you leave the no wake zone, what you did or didn’t do to those boats under the bridge becomes past tense = no woke zone. hmmm

Re: What is a NO WAKE ZONE? - 06/02/22 01:38 PM

Frank that dude would spend half the day idling.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum