Texas Fishing Forum

Athens

Posted By: meP2too

Athens - 05/28/22 09:32 PM

Have not seen many posts on Athens this year. Thinking about going Monday has the grass been sprayed and eliminated.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Athens - 05/28/22 09:59 PM

I'm SHOCKED, most of the time the wanna-bes can't stop posting about their catches, must be fishing slow
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Athens - 05/28/22 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
I'm SHOCKED, most of the time the wanna-bes can't stop posting about their catches, must be fishing slow

So…are we good to go, or not?
Posted By: Bryanmc57

Re: Athens - 05/28/22 11:02 PM

Usually, not hearing good reports here means you need to go there....
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Athens - 05/28/22 11:52 PM

Them biguns are jumping in the boat,..I'd wait til Tuesday.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Athens - 05/29/22 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by JIM SR.
Them biguns are jumping in the boat,..I'd wait til Tuesday.

cheers thisx2 when is full moon ??????
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Athens - 05/29/22 05:33 AM

more than likely some of travelers are being priced out of traveling by the high gas prices
Posted By: BNKrust

Re: Athens - 05/29/22 05:00 PM

Club tournamnent last weekend out there. Lots of slot fish, a couple of overs. Lots of grass. Hydrilla, eelgrass, pondweed... fish were on the outside edges of the grass as soon as the sun came up. Topwaters shallow early. Flukes.
Posted By: Shaky Horn

Re: Athens - 05/29/22 07:24 PM

Monday is going to be a nightmare with the wind and all the wake boats unless you hit it early. I felt like I was fishing the intercostal canal in port mansfield this morning
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Athens - 05/30/22 08:58 PM

I decided to go last night, wind blew pretty good. Got on the water at 7:00 and checked out seven areas before dusk and spent time in four of them. No hydrilla was found but milfoil and coontail was present along with pondweed. Did not check any where that had eel grass last year. Surprised that pads were gone in a couple areas that have been covered up in the past few years.
Fished from dusk to midnight and the pads were most productive, boated 9 with a swim jig and 3 with a buzzbait. All slots 1.5 to 3 lbs.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum