Texas Fishing Forum

How Much Backing and Premium Line for Bass Reels?

Posted By: FishAdmirer

How Much Backing and Premium Line for Bass Reels? - 05/18/22 04:10 PM

I am starting to move to braid, fluorocarbon and copolymer fishing line from monofilament on my bass reels. How much backing and filler line do you put on a baitcasting and spinning reel before you put the more expensive line on the reel? How much premium line does one actually need on a reel for casting? I hate to put an excessive amount of premium line on a reel if it is not needed and will go to waste.

Example: Reel spool capacity is 120 yards
Monofilament backing 70 yards
Braided line 50 yards?

I have an easy and convenient way to measure line.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: How Much Backing and Premium Line for Bass Reels? - 05/18/22 04:16 PM

In general, I tend to back the reel 25%, then 75% main line.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: How Much Backing and Premium Line for Bass Reels? - 05/18/22 04:16 PM

I never use backing on a bass reel, sure as I do a dd will come along and show me how to break a knot.

most spools of single fill size are about right, 1/4# fill to spool edge and you can do a lot of reels with braid.

one trick with braid, use it for half or a full summer/season then respool it in reverse, new line is on top.

I primarily use big game only, have 2 reels with 50# braid for when I think I may need some extra strength.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: How Much Backing and Premium Line for Bass Reels? - 05/18/22 04:40 PM

I back my reels with about 20 cranks of cheap brais and then fill to within 1/8” of top of spool.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: How Much Backing and Premium Line for Bass Reels? - 05/18/22 05:16 PM

Probably 50/50. I can’t imagine any bass in the world pulling 50yards or more of drag and then breaking the connection knot.
Posted By: BWG

Re: How Much Backing and Premium Line for Bass Reels? - 05/18/22 07:54 PM

50 50. Never an issue.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: How Much Backing and Premium Line for Bass Reels? - 05/18/22 08:12 PM

I do about 1/3 of the spool with backing. This leaves way more then I can cast but also leaves enough that if I have a nasty backlash I can cut it out and still have enough to continue using it that trip. I also by my line in 1000 yard bulk spools to lessen the cost.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: How Much Backing and Premium Line for Bass Reels? - 05/18/22 11:03 PM

I only backup braid…so it doesn’t slip on a hook set. Straight fluorocarbon on everything else. It ain’t THAT expensive! Haha. Not like gas, or senkos.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: How Much Backing and Premium Line for Bass Reels? - 05/19/22 02:29 AM

50/50 on casting
30/70!on flipping
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: How Much Backing and Premium Line for Bass Reels? - 05/19/22 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
I only backup braid…so it doesn’t slip on a hook set. Straight fluorocarbon on everything else. It ain’t THAT expensive! Haha. Not like gas, or senkos.

Funny you said Senkos. I was in Academy the other day and noticed they are almost $8 a bag now. Lets go Brandon.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: How Much Backing and Premium Line for Bass Reels? - 05/19/22 12:14 PM

I use cheaper braid as back up. Then about 20 yards farther than I can cast of the premium line.
Sounds like some folks might need to try a different knot.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: How Much Backing and Premium Line for Bass Reels? - 05/19/22 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by fishnfireman
I use cheaper braid as back up. Then about 20 yards farther than I can cast of the premium line.

Why?…..and who?

Ain’t talking about knots here. We are talking about how much backing to use. Why would anyone want to use braid as a backing? Serious question. It slips on the spool, unless you have a spool made for braid. I have some reels that the spool is heavily ported to reduce weight. These reels have to have a soft backing of mono if I use them with braid. The braid doesn’t cushion the spool and can actually deform the spool under heavy weight and stress.

I have a 1000 yard spool of Cajun redline that I use as backing under braid. That 1000 yard spool might last me a lifetime.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: How Much Backing and Premium Line for Bass Reels? - 05/19/22 01:09 PM

Why?…..and who?

Ain’t talking about knots here. We are talking about how much backing to use. Why would anyone want to use braid as a backing? Serious question. It slips on the spool, unless you have a spool made for braid. I have some reels that the spool is heavily ported to reduce weight. These reels have to have a soft backing of mono if I use them with braid. The braid doesn’t cushion the spool and can actually deform the spool under heavy weight and stress.

I have a 1000 yard spool of Cajun redline that I use as backing under braid. That 1000 yard spool might last me a lifetime.

never had braid slip on a spool but I run it thru the holes then use clove hitch with tag tied off, when spooling I use a holder I made that gives plenty of resistance so line is tight when put on.

and this is the only knot I use to put 2 lines together, same I used fly fishing and for biminis for tarpon.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: How Much Backing and Premium Line for Bass Reels? - 05/19/22 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by FishAdmirer

Example: Reel spool capacity is 120 yards
Monofilament backing 70 yards
Braided line 50 yards?

I have an easy and convenient way to measure line.

Don't overthink it. Not sure what # test mono you are talking but it must be small becasue most reels won't hold 120 yards of mono bigger than 10#. Put some cheap mono on there for backing, tie a granny knot to the braid and roll with it.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: How Much Backing and Premium Line for Bass Reels? - 05/19/22 01:40 PM

I

Why?…..and who?

Ain’t talking about knots here. We are talking about how much backing to use. .

Read all the post and your question will be answered.
Posted By: FishAdmirer

Re: How Much Backing and Premium Line for Bass Reels? - 05/20/22 11:29 PM

I appreciate the responses. I discounted the value of braid and fluorocarbon line until I took a recent fishing trip to Table Rock. I used braid to a fluorocarbon leader and was amazed at the difference in sensitivity to bites and bottom structures.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum