Texas Fishing Forum

Rolling on a frog

Posted By: Slacklinedime

Rolling on a frog - 05/16/22 01:48 PM

Ok, I am having a lot of Bass rolling or swiping at frogs and not eating them. I have changed the size, color, style and presentation still running into the same thing. However when they do eat it, it's like a Grate White shark eating a seal! Any advice?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Rolling on a frog - 05/16/22 01:51 PM

Follow up with a weightless Fluke in a similar color. Treat it just like a missed blowup.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Rolling on a frog - 05/16/22 01:53 PM

Have a weightless Senko on stand-by when frog fishing. When they roll or swipe many times they'll take a follow-up if they are trying to "kill it" before eating.

Apparently Mark was thinking and typing at the same time as I...

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Follow up with a weightless Fluke in a similar color. Treat it just like a missed blowup.

Re: Rolling on a frog - 05/16/22 01:57 PM

That's what i have been doing. If they wont eat the frog after 2 attempts i will throw a Fluke or craw style and get them. The odd thing is i have been fishing for about 30 years and never had so many bass just "have a look".
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Rolling on a frog - 05/16/22 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Slacklinedime
That's what i have been doing. If they wont eat the frog after 2 attempts i will throw a Fluke or craw style and get them. The odd thing is i have been fishing for about 30 years and never had so many bass just "have a look".

Could be fry guarders just trying to shoo away an invader.
Posted By: hobgood12

Re: Rolling on a frog - 05/16/22 02:07 PM

Randy Blaukat will swear its because of LiveScope! He will say that its changing fish behavior!

Re: Rolling on a frog - 05/16/22 02:21 PM

LiveScope? never heard of her!
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Rolling on a frog - 05/17/22 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Originally Posted by Slacklinedime

Could be fry guarders just trying to shoo away an invader.

Agreed. You might try this. if they roll on a light colored frog throw a dark one in right behind it. If they won't go on that throw a weightless WM Fluke in there
Posted By: Statton48

Re: Rolling on a frog - 05/19/22 12:49 AM

Some of them could be spotted gar. like others said, fluke, senko, or jig for me if the miss it multiple times. Also, if you know they missed it…. Let it sit for a while longer. Sometimes they will ingulf it within 5sec later

Re: Rolling on a frog - 05/19/22 03:21 PM

I was talking to an old buddy of mine and he gave me a tip, gave it a shot over the past few days. Will it seems to have worked.
Stick a 1/16th or 1/8th oz weight in the frog to make it stand up in the water (more butt down) it also makes the frog kinda jump when you give it a tug.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum