Texas Fishing Forum

questions and ideas

Posted By: CD82

questions and ideas - 05/14/22 01:17 AM

so i live in abilene texas and i work alot .. im home about 1 week out of the month i travel alot with my job..
i just got myself my first boat its not much but hey its mine lol it is one of the little bass raider 10e from academy.
its enough for what i want to do for now i got a trolling motor battery etc.. getting tags for it when i get home the next time..
well we have 3 lakes here kirby phantom and lake abilene which coasts to get in lake abilene does ..
ill also have my fish finder hooked up when i get back home as well on my boat

i am going to try an start fishing for blue cats at kirby some maybe some bass there
but phantom at sea bee park seems to be okay with all the trees in the creek etc
im new to this bass fishing never had much luck its funny ive watched my dad and everyone around me pull them out left and right.
i spent some money on soft baits lizards dark color baby brush hogs and other type soft baits got two poles rigged up with texas rig...
i did get some helpful pointers on facebook pages but trolls also lol .

at kirby i see some real shallow cat tails and bass jumping around them i tossed a lizard and a worm in there not a darn bite.
any oither suggestion i should try in them cats tails? its been getting hot there at home also

sea bee park i did put in there didnt say out long because the wind kicked up i tried cple of lizards around the tress and didnt get a bite
should lizards be good around trees and stumps or ? i lost one rig got hung up in a stump

maybe some cranks but dont wanna lose them
just need to get on some bass lol need some ideas thanks in adavnce

i know bass are agressive ive cought some long long ago on worms and cple of hard plastic lures but its been ages
Posted By: hopalong

Re: questions and ideas - 05/14/22 01:53 AM

youtube is your friend for now, this time of yr. topwater to worms or squarebills make it a crapshoot as to what will work on any particular water.

fished fork all day today in the legend big bass and not a stinkin bite one, a week ago I was catching money fish, good solid unders, same techniques today and not a nibble..

watch some youtubes on different techniques and how they are presented, come back on here with specific questions and you will get good answers.
Posted By: CD82

Re: questions and ideas - 05/14/22 01:56 AM

i noticed places like academy have two different style frogs
the ones with the silicone skirts and ones with legs that move ..
i guess trying one of eatch? near grass and cat tails?
Posted By: David Burton

Re: questions and ideas - 05/14/22 10:48 PM

My pattern from yesterday definitely slowed today, only had 3 bass in the boat today. One ~17" slot, a dink and a 1.25# non-weigher. Yesterday I would've limited out on 1.5# average unders with a 23.75" OH SO CLOSE tank. So, you don't want what I'm doing, but I'm gonna get back to the grind tomorrow, just need the one area where the average size is a little better!!!

Funny part is, I found something that'll work for drum and catfish, but not bass! The Shad Fantasy of the finesse squarebill apparently was just right for non-target species!

Good Luck - there's quite a few "Post Spawn" fish out there. Unfortunately, they'll probably be chewing tonight with the moon!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum