Texas Fishing Forum

Picachos Report

Posted By: ibfishin2

Picachos Report - 05/08/22 11:20 PM

Just returned from awesome 4 days of fishing at Picachos. Knowing the history of the lake, high numbers and small fish, went with the idea of targeting bigger fish. Stayed away from pounding the shoreline and focused on deeper tree lines 50 to 100 yds from shore. lake is low (50%) and dropping over a foot per day. Had good success on 3 to 4 1/2 lb fish with biggest fish at 6 1/2 lbs. I tell you those 3 lb to 4 lb. fish are MEAN. They fight like 5 lbers!!!! We still had unbelievable fish count. My partner brought a fish counter and we totaled 537 fish for the 4 day trip. If you pounded the shoreline you could probably catch 150 plus 1 to 2 lbers per day. Zero topwater action other than small fish. Very little deep cranks, too many trees. Best bait Zoom lizards, Zoom stick baits (you don't need to throw expensive Senkos) 10" worms and 5" Spark Shad swimbaits. Best colors watermelon red, black n blue and chartreuse. Stayed with Anglers Inn, facilities very nice.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Picachos Report - 05/09/22 12:59 AM

Did you see a guy named Eric there. He just got back from 4 days in Mexico too…just not sure which lake. He said he lost count on the 3-4 pounders. And lost count on the beer too.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Picachos Report - 05/09/22 10:54 PM

thanks for sharing......
Posted By: ibfishin2

Re: Picachos Report - 05/10/22 12:26 AM

there were only 4 other anglers at lodge while we were there..no Eric's
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Picachos Report - 05/10/22 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by ibfishin2
there were only 4 other anglers at lodge while we were there..no Eric's

Yeh. I talked to him this morning. He has a lifetime guest card at El Salto. He goes 4x a year.

Y’all are lucky.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Picachos Report - 05/10/22 02:34 AM

thumb
Posted By: burntup

Re: Picachos Report - 05/10/22 03:05 AM

Ron Speeds camp, I was there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum