Texas Fishing Forum

Lithium batteries

Posted By: popparon

Lithium batteries - 05/07/22 11:33 AM

Do u leave your lithium batteries on charge full time. Tks
Posted By: prosise

Re: Lithium batteries - 05/07/22 01:27 PM

I do not leave them plugged in all the time.

Couple things I do..

I always disconnect the trolling motor from the batteries before charging. Some people do, some don't. But I do.
I always disconnect electronics from the battery when charging. ( I do not want a power surge on the main board of the electronics). I do this because, I work in the semiconductor field and work on things like this daily.

I am using a 4 bank 10amp noco charger.
I have 1x 100ah lithium for electronics only.
2x 100ah lithium for the trolling motor
and a Wally world wet cell for the starting battery.

I charge the lithium batteries if they are down below 40% 6hrs before I leave. I haven't had them go dead on me "Yet".
I have the Noco charger on a smart plug which I schedule it on/off with an app. I use the Wyze plug, which so far works well. . It is advised to not keep them at 100% all the time, it will actually shorten the life of the battery. It will last longer if you get it to about 80% and leave it there. But I have been going to 100% up until I leave for the day. Me and my son ran RC cars for years, and the cells will start to swell if left at 100% all the time. They are not like wet cells..

You can do allot of searching online, and the science behind it shows that running it down to about 20% before charging it is better for the battery. If you buy a good brand with a warranty just follow their recommendations. I have a fishing buddy who has Ionic and they have replaced two batteries with no issues. One died, and the other (BMS) quit working. Buy once cry once with a good warranty. I went with an alternate battery with a 5 year warranty, and so far they are the "Bees Knees".
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Lithium batteries - 05/07/22 02:47 PM

I only recharge my Lithium's (Ionic) when they get below 40% or so like Prosise but I never leave them plugged in full time. I accomplish charging fully then "disconnecting" by using a smart plug that I can turn off over the internet from anywhere using the app on my phone. This works perfect for me because my boat stays at the lake house so if I plug in to charge right before we head home, then I need to have a way to turn the power off.
Posted By: e_stallman

Re: Lithium batteries - 05/17/22 04:03 PM

What onboard charger do you use with the lithium? I currently have a ProMar1 13amp triple bank, with 5, 5, 3 output on the banks. Would I need a new charger if I switch to Lithium?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum