Texas Fishing Forum

Two Lithium Questions

Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Two Lithium Questions - 05/01/22 06:23 PM

1. Is anyone using lithium for their starting battery? If so what size and brand?

2. Anyone use the Dakota Lithium?

I am running an aluminum boat and I would like to shed some weight on the rear.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/01/22 06:34 PM

this is the only lithium I know of that is rated as a start battery.

I put 3 of the 50ah in mine for trolling motor and this will be next but just wiped out savings with a new lower unit.

https://drewcraft.com/product/125ah-12v-ionic-lithium-battery/

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/01/22 06:36 PM

oh, drewcraft will answer any emails pretty quick.

sartin marine also carries the ionic now, noticed when getting my lower unit replaced.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/01/22 09:07 PM

I went with lithium’s for troll motor but decide until the manufactures warranty specifically stated lithiums were ok for use I would stay with AGM.
New motor so didn’t want to have to challenge them if something did go wrong.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/01/22 09:14 PM

I’m running an Ionic 125a for my SHO 250 with 2 Helix 12’s, a Helix 10, and a Garmin 1222 with livescope. Puts the X2 I had to shame. Also have 3 Ionic 50’s for my Ultrex.

Researched lithium’s for almost a year before getting them. Dakota was on my short list but negative customer service reviews were way too common from them and quickly scratched them. They also used to falsely claim they were made in the USA. So misleading to say the least
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/01/22 09:36 PM

Your new merc will not get along with it unless something has change mercury has even sent out a service bulletin about lithium batteries

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/01/22 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tiltman
Your new merc will not get along with it unless something has change mercury has even sent out a service bulletin about lithium batteries

Totally untrue. Same goes for the myth that your warranty will be voided. Heck even WRM group (Ranger Triton Nitro) offer them as a factory option

[Linked Image]

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/01/22 10:07 PM

Ok let me re phrase , I also have a newer mercury both it and my previous pro XS 2 stroke would not run a lithium cranking battery and Rockwall Marine said that mercury said they are not recommended and that there was a TSB to that effect. I said nothing about warranty.

You can fact check me if you like but my own personal experience with my own boat and motor clearly contradicts what you are decreeing as false.

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/01/22 10:11 PM

Ok let me re phrase , I also have a newer mercury both it and my previous pro XS 2 stroke would not run a lithium cranking battery and Rockwall Marine said that mercury said they are not recommended and that there was a TSB to that effect. I said nothing about warranty.

You can fact check me if you like but my own personal experience with my own boat and motor clearly contradicts what you are decreeing as false.

What lithium battery were you using? The wrong one can make all the difference in the world. I personally know 3 people with Mercs using lithiums. 2 with Ionics and 1 who just bought a brand new Nitro that came factory rigged with a ReLion.
I’ll also add that none of the outboard manufacturers recommend lithium because there are too many variables. Bit like I said earlier, the correct battery from a reputable manufacturer will make all the difference.

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/01/22 10:12 PM

Tried Amped and Dakota both then went AGM

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/01/22 10:20 PM

Tried Amped and Dakota both then went AGM

Well there’s part of the problem. Amped doesn’t offer a battery with a BMS designed as a cranking battery, they even say so on their website. As for Dakota, no experience but easier to find more negative than positive about their company.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/01/22 10:43 PM

Thanks for the input. Seems the Ionics are the way to go.
Posted By: Walls

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/02/22 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Der Vorsteher
Thanks for the input. Seems the Ionics are the way to go.

Feel 100% solid about your decision there. I have had the 125AH Ionic for a couple of years (I do run a 250 SHO and not a Merc) and it is an afterthought at this point. Two HDS 12s, Helix 12 running Mega 360 and Live, both livewells on manual recirc all day without moving spots with the SHO on Saturday and the battery was at 68% before I started it to make the run to weigh-in. I made a point to check the Bluetooth App because that situation does not happen often. Pretty sure I wasted my money getting the emergency jump start installed when I bought the battery. cheers
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/02/22 12:56 PM

I went with three 100 AH Relion for the trolling motor and an X2 for the cranking, I had also heard about people having trouble with a lithium cranker, did not want any problems so went with the safe choice, if my X2 ever goes bad I will then probably get a lithium, the only negative I can see with the X2 is the weight, other than that it is a beast.
Posted By: Micheal

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/02/22 01:07 PM

This is Dakota's new duel purpose battery. Check it out.

[Linked Image]

DL+ 12V 135AH DUAL PURPOSE 1000CCA STARTER BATTERY PLUS DEEP CYCLE PERFORMANCE

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/02/22 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
I’m running an Ionic 125a for my SHO 250 with 2 Helix 12’s, a Helix 10, and a Garmin 1222 with livescope. Puts the X2 I had to shame. Also have 3 Ionic 50’s for my Ultrex.

Researched lithium’s for almost a year before getting them. Dakota was on my short list but negative customer service reviews were way too common from them and quickly scratched them. They also used to falsely claim they were made in the USA. So misleading to say the least

same for me, ordered one of the dakota chargers for our sherp which uses 2 lithiums (3 cyl. diesel) for everything. never got a reply to 2 emailed questions.

drewcraft has answered all my email questions promptly, told me a few things I didn't ask about but needed to know.

ordered from drewcraft and had them within 4 days, ordered fri. got them mon. they also have the bluetooth app which has good info when used.

as for starting battery, they are the only one I found (there may be more by now) that offered a dual purpose for start/deep cycle.

This is a Dual Purpose Cranking / Deep Cycle Battery
Comparable to 900 cranking amps
This battery can be used as a starter battery for 250 hp Yamaha, Mercury and Evinrude Motors
Battery Management Systems (BMS) with power terminal cut-off and recovery
Built in cold weather protection – Does not take a charge if temperatures are below -4C or 24F in our case. Some variations with part tolerances.
Ionic batteries have proprietary software embedded in the BMS to make our batteries 100% compatible with Yamaha or Mercury motors
70% lighter than lead acid batteries
Two to four times the service life (3000-5000 cycles)
Great for marine, RV, floor sweepers, lift gates, UPS systems, solar energy storage
Cell balancing and low voltage/over voltage protection, short-circuit protection
Bluetooth technology to monitor battery status
Maximize your energy potential with 99% Depth of Discharge (DOD)
Drop in replacements (plug and play)
Run as many needed in parallel
Can go up to 4 in series with this battery
Comes with an 11 Year Battery Warranty to give you peace of mind with your purchase.
Compatible with the following chargers: Ionic, Noco Gen Pro, Dual Pro PS/ Auto, Minnkota Precision, Pro Mariner/Pro Tournament Elite, Stealth, Troll Bridge DC, Power Pole.
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act: A vehicle manufacturer cannot legally void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)). Ionic Batteries have proprietary software embedded in the Battery Management Systems that make them 100% compatible with Yamaha or Mercury 250 hp motors. Learn More

[Linked Image]

https://drewcraft.com/product/125ah-12v-ionic-lithium-battery/

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/02/22 01:41 PM

one other thing about the ionics, sartin marine in yantis now carries them, warranty replacement if ever needed should be easy.

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/02/22 03:49 PM

Michael are you using one of these on a later model merc? I may try again and pull my group 31 AGM out of mine.

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/02/22 08:57 PM

Michael are you using one of these on a later model merc? I may try again and pull my group 31 AGM out of mine.

the ionic are warrantied for starting battery.
Posted By: T-Gauntt

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/02/22 09:43 PM

Monster Marine makes a dual purpose cranking/deep cycle lithium that looks pretty good on paper. May not be as widely known as Dakota or Ionic, but I t’s good enough for Jordan Lee.
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/03/22 03:38 AM

All that are running lithiums, did you have to change ring terminal sizes? I’ve heard ionic and other brands need a 3/8 ring terminal.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/03/22 03:50 AM

been running the ionic 125ah on my 2016 sho for a while now and its been flawless. most people who have had problems with lithium as a starting battery are just running the the wrong brand. i did research for a year before i made the jump to all lithiums and i will never go back
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/03/22 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by DEFMP
All that are running lithiums, did you have to change ring terminal sizes? I’ve heard ionic and other brands need a 3/8 ring terminal.

nope
Posted By: Micheal

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/03/22 02:13 PM

This is Dakota's statement on their website.

Engineered with Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) technology this battery has 5X the power, half the weight, and lasts 5 times longer than a lead acid battery – providing exceptional lifetime value. Built for dual purpose performance, the DL+ 12V 135Ah battery provides 1,000 cold cranking amps (CCA) and a high continuous discharge rate, making it a great choice for high amp draw applications like starting engines, car audio, heavy machinery, golf carts, or any electronics that require a lot of power at one time. In addition, the DL+ 12V 135Ah battery provides the same legendary deep cycle marine performance that Dakota Lithium batteries are known for, giving you lots of power for a long time. This is the most versatile Dakota Lithium battery and includes a terminal adapter kit compatible with most marine, automotive, and deep cycle applications. Easily link in series to create 24V, 36V, or 48V systems. LiFePO4 charger included. Backed up by an 11 year warranty.
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/03/22 03:47 PM

Running Ionic starting battery with no issues.

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/03/22 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Micheal

Engineered with Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) technology this battery has 5X the power, half the weight, and lasts 5 times longer than a lead acid battery – providing exceptional lifetime value. Built for dual purpose performance, the DL+ 12V 135Ah battery provides 1,000 cold cranking amps (CCA) and a high continuous discharge rate, making it a great choice for high amp draw applications like starting engines, car audio, heavy machinery, golf carts, or any electronics that require a lot of power at one time. In addition, the DL+ 12V 135Ah battery provides the same legendary deep cycle marine performance that Dakota Lithium batteries are known for, giving you lots of power for a long time. This is the most versatile Dakota Lithium battery and includes a terminal adapter kit compatible with most marine, automotive, and deep cycle applications. Easily link in series to create 24V, 36V, or 48V systems. LiFePO4 charger included. Backed up by an 11 year warranty.

Thanks , I contacted them to inquire if this one works I plan to order a set and sell my Amped

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/03/22 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Micheal

Thanks , I contacted them to inquire if this one works I plan to order a set and sell my Amped

You really should consider the Ionic 125a. Myself and several members on here are speaking from experience.
Posted By: Bweidler

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/19/22 04:04 PM

I use the Impulse Lithium cranking battery, they have a 10 year non prorated warranty. check them out

https://www.impulselithium.com/product/12v-120ah-platinum-series-lifepo4-cranking-battery-marine/
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/19/22 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bweidler
I use the Impulse Lithium cranking battery, they have a 10 year non prorated warranty. check them out

https://www.impulselithium.com/product/12v-120ah-platinum-series-lifepo4-cranking-battery-marine/

Bill knows his stuff. (former Elite Series angler Bill Weidler & I believe the owner of Impulse Lithium)
Posted By: dallasdawg

Re: Two Lithium Questions - 05/20/22 04:45 PM

Running all Ionics. 125AH cranker/house and 2 50AH for trolling. Thus far, this setup has been flawless.

Cranker starts a Yam 150 VMAX and powers 2 12" Echomap Ultras + LVS32 Livescope. My typical day is about 8 hours on the water with a few runs scattered through the day. At the end of the day, the cranker is at 80 - 85% SOC.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum