Texas Fishing Forum

Wacky Worm Question

Posted By: Topwater2

Wacky Worm Question - 04/29/22 09:17 PM

What size worm(s) do you use? Favorite brand? A go-to color for most of the lakes you fish? After 60 years of fishing, I just might give it a shot.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 04/29/22 09:27 PM

5" Senko
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 04/29/22 09:29 PM

I like to use trick worms.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 04/29/22 10:02 PM

Zoom Trick worm or zoom finesse worm.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 04/29/22 10:28 PM

5” senko watermelon red. It’s the only color you’ll ever need.
Posted By: Adambasser17

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 04/29/22 10:53 PM

Slim 5" senko with small nail weight in head
Posted By: BWG

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 04/29/22 11:22 PM

Already posted
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 04/29/22 11:36 PM

Mag trick worm
Flick shake
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 04/29/22 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by wh2004
Zoom Trick worm or zoom finesse worm.

Yep

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 04/30/22 12:25 AM

Something new to me I've been trying is wacky rigging a Super Fluke. It has worked as well as any stick bait so far.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 04/30/22 01:02 AM

I've tried it a couple of times with a Senko and a Yum Dinger and had zero success. I'm thinking about throwing a wacky rig this weekend if the weather allows.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 04/30/22 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Big Swimbait
Something new to me I've been trying is wacky rigging a Super Fluke. It has worked as well as any stick bait so far.

Try a caffeine shad, I throw those in place of a senko a lot
Posted By: Fork Fanatic

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 04/30/22 01:49 AM

Green pumpkin senko.

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 04/30/22 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
I've tried it a couple of times with a Senko and a Yum Dinger and had zero success. I'm thinking about throwing a wacky rig this weekend if the weather allows.

You need to fish it slow. Don’t impart your own action. Skip it under a dock and let it fall. You will catch fish. I promise.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 04/30/22 04:53 AM

6" straight tail or Senco is 4"- 6" but 5" is generally. Want to change up a but throw one of them ol' centipede baits.

Certainly need to match your hook but on the straight tail worms like the Zoom Trick worm I like these Gamakatsu Finesse Wide Gap Weedless Hooks 2/0 and 3/0:

[Linked Image]

or these:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 04/30/22 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
5” senko watermelon red. It’s the only color you’ll ever need.

Agreed also a dip of the tail in dip n glo.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 04/30/22 03:20 PM

I would suggest if you've bass fished for 60 yrs and not thrown a wacky worm you have missed out on a lot of fish you could've caught. A wacky rigged stick bait like a Senko is deadly most of the year.

A wacky Zoom Trick worm is also deadly. I like a Lunker City lead nail in the head and a 2/0 worm hook rigged similar to what Wayne P showed above. It will get bit behind folks throwing standard Tx rigs all day.

As far as the color, WM red or GP is all you need.
Posted By: Sawyer S

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 04/30/22 08:06 PM

I really like the Wave Worm Tiki Stick 5" in Watermelon Red
Posted By: greenen

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 04/30/22 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

You need to fish it slow. Don’t impart your own action. Skip it under a dock and let it fall. You will catch fish. I promise.

Yep. I caught a bunch last weekend on them and took a non-bass guy out Wednesday with a new spinning reel I helped him pick out. O-ringed a Senko and said cast and let it fall. Period. He caught several nice ones and I was trying faster moving baits and topwaters and didn't catch jack.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 04/30/22 09:15 PM

Glad you asked! A Zoom Trick Worm in JuneBug or JuneBug Red in stained water , in clear, Watermelon or Watermelon Red.
On a Gamakatsu 4/0 or 3/0 Octopus circle hook less chance of deep throating.
Posted By: FishAdmirer

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 05/01/22 05:03 AM

I like a 5” Zman senko on a 1/0 wide gap wacky rig hook. I like their green pumpkin and chartreuse color senko.
Posted By: Jbuhrk

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 05/03/22 01:00 AM

Went with a buddy to a good vegetation lake on Saturday and all he thru was a watermelon red flake yum dinger. Boated 29 wacky and weightless tx rig. Never was a fan of them but it changed my mind.

Re: Wacky Worm Question - 05/03/22 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jbuhrk
Went with a buddy to a good vegetation lake on Saturday and all he thru was a watermelon red flake yum dinger. Boated 29 wacky and weightless tx rig. Never was a fan of them but it changed my mind.

They work extremely well in grass lakes.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum