Texas Fishing Forum

Onyx Unisex Belt Pack Manual Inflatable Life Jacket

Posted By: Gungle

Onyx Unisex Belt Pack Manual Inflatable Life Jacket - 04/25/22 07:27 PM

Has anyone used one of these? Looks like it would be good for a kayak.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Onyx Unisex Belt Pack Manual Inflatable Life Jacket - 04/25/22 08:25 PM

the problem with belt inflatables is when they activate usually you are in the water and the hole where you were supposed to put your head thru is to small for any head and very firm.

Ever since it happened to me, I have been wearing the normal inflatables. I ended up having to hug it to use it to stay afloat. If you hit your head going down it is useless to save your life.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Onyx Unisex Belt Pack Manual Inflatable Life Jacket - 04/26/22 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce Allen
the problem with belt inflatables is when they activate usually you are in the water and the hole where you were supposed to put your head thru is to small for any head and very firm.

Ever since it happened to me, I have been wearing the normal inflatables. I ended up having to hug it to use it to stay afloat. If you hit your head going down it is useless to save your life.

Heard this same thing...but when I'm fishing alone in the winter or wind, I like the added security the belt provides just in case. I've tried fishing with my other inflatables and they just seem to get in the way. The belt I can easily adjust / move around without it being so restrictive around my chest / arms.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Onyx Unisex Belt Pack Manual Inflatable Life Jacket - 04/26/22 02:19 PM

PS: For KayakI would suggest a full vest or full style inflatable. The way you sit on these, if you go down, the belt one as mentioned above takes some finagling to get over your head to be safe.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum