Texas Fishing Forum

In the interest of fuel savings

Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

In the interest of fuel savings - 04/15/22 11:36 PM

The last time I had my rig out; when I got home, I decided to check the air pressure on my trailer tires. All four were low and one was less than half the recommended running pressure. I aired them all to 40 psi and also hit my pickup while I was at it. It was like I removed a ton of weight off the bug. My fuel mileage is a whole lot better. I didn’t burn anywhere near the amount of fuel that I calculated that it would take to go to Holbrook this morning. Something y’all might want to look at.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: In the interest of fuel savings - 04/16/22 12:17 AM

Something I check every week. I’d bet that my trailer tires are within 1 psi +\- of 80 psi…including the spare. Truck is at 42…with the same variance. Wife’s Lexus has staggered pressures, 32 front 38 rear (heavy batteries). Sons car has likely got a “tire” light on….and airing up just one probably ain’t gonna shut it off. bang
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: In the interest of fuel savings - 04/16/22 12:47 AM

I'm terrible about checking the tire pressure. It's less than a mile from my house to the ramp so I'm not worried about fuel mileage.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: In the interest of fuel savings - 04/16/22 12:47 AM

I check my son and daughters cars every time they come to visit.
I give them tire gauges but they still rarely check them, recommended pressure is on the door sticker but they still rely on dad or the idiot gauges. bang
Posted By: Dubee

Re: In the interest of fuel savings - 04/16/22 12:49 AM

I'm pretty good about keeping mine aired up. I check them at least every other year
Posted By: pil,b

Re: In the interest of fuel savings - 04/16/22 12:51 AM

And people wonder why they blow out trailer tires.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: In the interest of fuel savings - 04/16/22 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dubee
I'm pretty good about keeping mine aired up. I check them at least every other year

You’re good…they put air in em when you buy em. roflmao
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: In the interest of fuel savings - 04/16/22 12:57 AM

roflmao
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: In the interest of fuel savings - 04/16/22 01:25 AM

Its part of ,my job checking truck and trailer tires. I have a good digital gauge that I use that makes it super easy. I literally check mine weekly when I do the weekly inspection on my work truck and since I have the hose out I just check them all.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: In the interest of fuel savings - 04/16/22 01:30 AM

I park my trailer near my compressor, every other trip, I check air on trailer and truck.
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: In the interest of fuel savings - 04/16/22 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Something I check every week. I’d bet that my trailer tires are within 1 psi +\- of 80 psi…including the spare. Truck is at 42…with the same variance. Wife’s Lexus has staggered pressures, 32 front 38 rear (heavy batteries). Sons car has likely got a “tire” light on….and airing up just one probably ain’t gonna shut it off. bang

What car does your Son drive? You mentioned brand of wife's car, just wondered....lol

Re: In the interest of fuel savings - 04/16/22 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Monty Wright

roflmao

roflmao roflmao
Posted By: GreaseMonkey

Re: In the interest of fuel savings - 04/16/22 05:54 PM

I'll bet driving into these high winds towing a trailer has more impact on gas mileage than a few pounds of tire pressure but, yes check your tires regularly
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: In the interest of fuel savings - 04/17/22 04:34 PM

Check mine regularly. Truck has TPS monitoring. Last set of tires on the truck I got 95k mile on with only two rotations. Probably did not really need to change them when I did. Still had some miles on them. I travel around the state sometimes leaving early in the morning so don’t want any issues I can avoid. Truck now has 175K so new set has 80k and they look like they could go 20k or more.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: In the interest of fuel savings - 04/17/22 09:43 PM

Being OCD about preventive measures I check tire pressure weekly or semi weekly plus kick tires before boat trailer loading, again next day.
reason, found a flat before both pre and post trip. Truck gets wiped down at ramp also.as well as tires checked. Electronics screens wiped down with Windex W Vinegar and cover
I'm only 20-30 minutes from a few lakes, LOL I know I over do i.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: In the interest of fuel savings - 04/19/22 02:08 PM

I don't know how much fuel I am saving, but the trailer always rides better when the tires are properly inflated.

Re: In the interest of fuel savings - 04/19/22 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
I don't know how much fuel I am saving, but the trailer always rides better when the tires are properly inflated.
I owned a Ranger 320V bass boat back when the Ranger Trail trailers had bias ply tires. There come a point where I was pretty much was forced to go with radials when I had to upgrade my tires. That is a huge leap in towing efficiency as well.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum