Texas Fishing Forum

Best lake near Fork to fish in Heavy Wind

Posted By: FishOrGolf

Best lake near Fork to fish in Heavy Wind - 04/09/22 08:30 PM

We have been on Fork for 3 Days, struggling a bit but have caught a few good ones

Seeing tomorrow is heavy winds, we are looking to drive an hour to a smaller lake that we may stay a bit out of the wind and also maybe catch some

Any help would be great and will give an update after for sure

Thanks
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Best lake near Fork to fish in Heavy Wind - 04/09/22 08:40 PM

I like Winnsboro.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Best lake near Fork to fish in Heavy Wind - 04/09/22 08:54 PM

With a south wind, Bob Sandlin or Cypress Springs offer plenty of protected coves. Fish Sandlin if you like timber, Cypress if you prefer boat houses. The water there should be a bit clearer also.
Posted By: DJB

Re: Best lake near Fork to fish in Heavy Wind - 04/09/22 09:48 PM

Quitman
Posted By: FishOrGolf

Re: Best lake near Fork to fish in Heavy Wind - 04/09/22 09:48 PM

We have boat lanes chips for Fork. Is either safer or I guess, possible without one? After fishing mostly tomber at Fork, we like the sound of docks actually in the water.

Thanks again guys, now getting excited again instead of preparing for a tough go of it at Fork again.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Best lake near Fork to fish in Heavy Wind - 04/09/22 10:15 PM

Holbrook
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Best lake near Fork to fish in Heavy Wind - 04/10/22 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan S
We have boat lanes chips for Fork. Is either safer or I guess, possible without one? After fishing mostly tomber at Fork, we like the sound of docks actually in the water.

Thanks again guys, now getting excited again instead of preparing for a tough go of it at Fork again.

Cypress is the easiest lake around there to run!
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Best lake near Fork to fish in Heavy Wind - 04/10/22 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
Holbrook

Holbrook is fishing very tough and has been for a good while.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Best lake near Fork to fish in Heavy Wind - 04/10/22 01:16 AM

Cypress is wide open but was 30” low 2 weeks ago with only about 1/2 the docks with good water under them. Half our group struggled throwing spinnerbaits, chatterbaits and watermelon or green pumpkin, other half hit the jackpot with jerkbaits or bulk/blu jigs.

Sandlin has main lake timber, it’s shown if you have Navionics chip, coordinates for running can also be found on this site somewhere. Sandlin also has plenty of docks in certain coves, water level is good.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Best lake near Fork to fish in Heavy Wind - 04/10/22 01:36 AM

Any of them little Wood county lakes
Posted By: TajChauvin

Re: Best lake near Fork to fish in Heavy Wind - 04/10/22 02:54 AM

Drive to Athens. Tons of fish up shallow and wind is never an issue.
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Best lake near Fork to fish in Heavy Wind - 04/10/22 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
Holbrook

Holbrook is fishing very tough and has been for a good while.

I can confirm this!
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Best lake near Fork to fish in Heavy Wind - 04/10/22 02:02 PM

A small sleeper lake that fishes good in the wind is Tankerslery near Mt. Pleasent. Docks, no grass some deeper points and good ramp. Easy to run.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Best lake near Fork to fish in Heavy Wind - 04/10/22 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Allen Bass Fisher
A small sleeper lake that fishes good in the wind is Tankerslery near Mt. Pleasent. Docks, no grass some deeper points and good ramp. Easy to run.

"was"
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Best lake near Fork to fish in Heavy Wind - 04/10/22 05:32 PM

Cypress Springs. It runs east to west giving you one whole side of the lake that is protected by big pine trees.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Best lake near Fork to fish in Heavy Wind - 04/11/22 12:49 AM

I have still been able to fish Fork as well with high wind. I go over to Mustang and put in at Pope's Landing. It is pretty well protected from the wind and good fishing. The wind keeps the crowds at home, so you won't see a lot of other fishermen. I caught my PB out of that area.
Posted By: DJB

Re: Best lake near Fork to fish in Heavy Wind - 04/11/22 11:07 PM

Unfortunately the city of Mt Pleasant ruined Tankersley a few years back by spraying it. Not even a lily pad stem left. Now a developer has cleaned of all the shoreline cover on one side of the lake.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum